Atm At Airport

fred110

You cannot get U.S. currency out of an ATM at SBIA, only Thai Baht. The ATM fee is 150 baht.

You can buy U.S. currency, with Thai Baht at one of the TMB or SCB forex booths at SBIA. The rates at the airport carry a hidden ~ 3% ( ~ 1 baht/USD) fee compared with the same banks outside the airport.

Maybe you could share more details regarding your situation? Will you be in transit (int'l/dom?) at SBIA? Departing? What currency (ies) will you have?

Edited by lomatopo

You cannot get U.S. currency out of an ATM at SBIA, only Thai Baht. The ATM fee is 150 baht.

Not true. There are a couple "international currency ATMs" (called something like that) in Suvarnabhumi. The one I used recently is near the information counter where concourses E-F-G-H intersect. It's right next to the purple Siam Commercial Bank money exchange stand. Be warned, though, that you can only use SCB cards or debit cards from your home country. If you have another Thai bank, it won't work. The US dollars I withdrew were in excellent condition, sufficient for the Myanmar standards.

However, I would agree with the others and recommend that you get them ahead of time if at all possible. If the international ATM is broken, doesn't work, or won't give you enough money (I know there was a limit, but don't remember what it was), it is very difficult to leave the concourse and go all the way back out to the check-in area to find a normal Thai ATM . And if you fly to Myanmar without cash, you're screwed.

Edited by tonititan

You can buy U.S. currency, with Thai Baht at one of the TMB or SCB forex booths at SBIA. The rates at the airport carry a hidden ~ 3% ( ~ 1 baht/USD) fee compared with the same banks outside the airport.

Maybe you could share more details regarding your situation? Will you be in transit (int'l/dom?) at SBIA? Departing? What currency (ies) will you have?

Are you sure about the ATNs? I thought you could get dollars. I will convert baht in town if that is the case.

Not true. There are a couple "international currency ATMs" (called something like that) in Suvarnabhumi. The one I used recently is near the information counter where concourses E-F-G-H intersect. It's right next to the purple Siam Commercial Bank money exchange stand. Be warned, though, that you can only use SCB cards or debit cards from your home country. If you have another Thai bank, it won't work. The US dollars I withdrew were in excellent condition, sufficient for the Myanmar standards.

However, I would agree with the others and recommend that you get them ahead of time if at all possible. If the international ATM is broken, doesn't work, or won't give you enough money (I know there was a limit, but don't remember what it was), it is very difficult to leave the concourse and go all the way back out to the check-in area to find a normal Thai ATM . And if you fly to Myanmar without cash, you're screwed.

That's what I thought. I already have some hundreds, but local banks don't seem to have $20's, I want at least 5 $20's for hotels to start out.

That's what I thought. I already have some hundreds, but local banks don't seem to have $20's, I want at least 5 $20's for hotels to start out.

I was in Myanmar about 4 months ago. I was also concerned about having only large bills, but it turned out that they were fine, if not better. One, if you want to exchange for kyats, you get a much better exchange rate for large bills. (More like 800/dollar vs. 715/dollar for smaller bills.) Two, I was never once turned down when trying to use a $100 bill, whether it be for hotels, meals, souvenirs, etc. The people seemed quite happy to get a 100, actually, and to my surprise, even the tiniest vendors had change for a $100. I'm sure there are situations in which people wouldn't want your 100, but if it's for something small you can use kyats. I would think that most hotels would be fine with taking a 100.

I would take way more $100 bills than you think you'll need. If you run out of money, you are up a creek since there's no ATMs and almost no places accept credit cards. And they are VERY picky about which bills they will accept. Any tiny tears or fold (even ones I couldn't see) and they won't take the money. I guess I did get $100 bills rejected, but it was because of their condition, not the fact that they were 100s. Luckily I had plenty of 100s so I could just use a different one. When I got back to Thailand, I just exchanged the rejected bills for Thai baht.

Have fun!

Are you sure about the ATNs? I thought you could get dollars. I will convert baht in town if that is the case.

Apologies, evidently there are a few SCB foreign currency ATMs within the airport.

However, given that you are already in Thailand I would suggest you buy acceptable USD notes with THB in town. The best rates can be found at private money changers like SuperRich (Ratchadamri)and those in Soi Phradipet.

post-9615-0-52632700-1327465705_thumb.jp

I was in Myanmar about 4 months ago. I was also concerned about having only large bills, but it turned out that they were fine, if not better. One, if you want to exchange for kyats, you get a much better exchange rate for large bills. (More like 800/dollar vs. 715/dollar for smaller bills.) Two, I was never once turned down when trying to use a $100 bill, whether it be for hotels, meals, souvenirs, etc. The people seemed quite happy to get a 100, actually, and to my surprise, even the tiniest vendors had change for a $100. I'm sure there are situations in which people wouldn't want your 100, but if it's for something small you can use kyats. I would think that most hotels would be fine with taking a 100.

I would take way more $100 bills than you think you'll need. If you run out of money, you are up a creek since there's no ATMs and almost no places accept credit cards. And they are VERY picky about which bills they will accept. Any tiny tears or fold (even ones I couldn't see) and they won't take the money. I guess I did get $100 bills rejected, but it was because of their condition, not the fact that they were 100s. Luckily I had plenty of 100s so I could just use a different one. When I got back to Thailand, I just exchanged the rejected bills for Thai baht.

Have fun!

That's good to know, I never tried to use a $100 at a small place before. I also found a shop in Yangon that took any bills, at the going rate, as the owner goes to Thailand often. I hope he is still there, it was 2 years ago.

I've bought US dollars at the airport before and after immigration. Notes were crisp and new. One time was from a bank near all the restaurants below departures, another time from one of the bank branches at the far right side of the check in counters, near the Family Mart. As mentioned, airside SCB have ATMs for their customers that you can withdraw dollars or euros from or anyone can buy dollars from their exchange booths.