Voltage In Thailand And The Usa

Neeranam

I got a new laptop computer yesterday from America.

I believe it takes 40V or 60V electricity.

I haven't got any information in manuals.

My question is, "what safety measures should I take to prevent damage to it?"

As is obvious, I know nothing about electricity :o .

I've heard something about "power surges" and being dangerous for electrical appliances.

I have a tranformer that came with it, so I can plug it into the mains, but again not sure what it does as it is for American voltages.

Do I have to buy another tranformer, power surge preventer or what?

Cheers

N :D N

You didn't mention the manufacturer -- most well-known manufacturers provide AC adaptors that can be plugged in safely anywhere in the world, but the less well-known may not.

Look on the back of the adaptor (you may need a magnifying glass). Somewhere among the hieroglyphics you will find the word INPUT. If it says 110-240v, you are in good shape, and can plug it in anywhere in the world. If it says 110v, you have a problem, and cannot use it here in Thailand.

If the latter, head to Panthip with your computer, and any one of a dozen shops or stalls will sell you a suitable adaptor.

If you bought it in the US then it is most likely built to handle western world electrons with a charge of -1.0 (e). However, most electrons down here have a charge of only -0.7 - -0.85 so you must buy an electron charger/discharger to charge up the electrons from the wall outlet before you send them into your computer (and discharge them before returning them to the wall - otherwise you could cause problems for EGAT since their equipment is not used to these fully charged electrons).

You can get an electron charger/discharger in just about any hardware or electronics store in TH and they range in price from B200-B3000 depending on model and capacity.

Edited by lingling

Just plug it into the wall outlet if it is a NEW one.

Your new laptop will automatically convert .

It worked for me .

A few years ago there was a switch on the back of the PC to do so . But reading the manual is always good when all else fails .

Look on the back of the adaptor (you may need a magnifying glass).  Somewhere among the hieroglyphics you will find the word INPUT.  If it says 110-240v, you are in good shape, and can plug it in anywhere in the world.  If it says 110v, you have a problem, and cannot use it here in Thailand.

I still have to se a laptop that is not meant to be portable between countries and continents.

Just look at the power adaptor, it most likely says 110-240, self sense, nothing to do, just plug it in.

You didn't mention the manufacturer -- most well-known manufacturers provide AC adaptors that can be plugged in safely anywhere in the world, but the less well-known may not.

Look on the back of the adaptor (you may need a magnifying glass). Somewhere among the hieroglyphics you will find the word INPUT. If it says 110-240v, you are in good shape, and can plug it in anywhere in the world. If it says 110v, you have a problem, and cannot use it here in Thailand.

Thanks William, It does say 110-240 v on the back, It's a Toshiba.
portable surge protector is the only equipment i'd add.

Thanks BritM!

If you bought it in the US then it is most likely built to handle western world electrons with a charge of -1.0  (e). However, most electrons down here have a charge of only -0.7 - -0.85 so you must buy an electron charger/discharger to charge up the electrons from the wall outlet before you send them into your computer (and discharge them before returning them to the wall - otherwise you could cause problems for EGAT since their equipment is not used to these fully charged electrons).

You can get an electron charger/discharger in just about any hardware or electronics store in TH and they range in price from B200-B3000 depending on model and capacity.

This sort of post should be brought back on 1st April...

The poor guy doesn't even know the voltage in the country he's living in. (40v-60v - isn't right unless he's in some part of Africa that gets power cuts every day).

However - it is just a matter of looking at the power brick for the laptop. They will generally say something like 100-240v 50-60Hz, which will work anywhere with a reliable power socket. (from Japan at 100v, the US at 110v, Thailand at 220v, Europe at 230v, and Oz at 240v. - As for the frequency, you can generally tell that from the TV standard being used. NTSC countries (US, Japan) are 60Hz, and PAL countries (UK, Thailand, Oz) are 50Hz.)