Uk State Pension

NoshowJones

Ricardo - if you left the UK less than 15 years ago, you do have an MP and can still vote in national elections. You have to register for overseas voting and you can use a proxy in the UK to vote for you or receive postal votes. The latter is no use here as the timetable does not allow sufficient time to get your vote back. However, there is a revision going through Parliament to extend the timetable to allow overseas voters, particularly servicemen, to retain their franchise. There is a campaign for voting rights to be permanent for UK citizens wherever they live.

Astral gives the url for the International Consortium of British Pensioners and for the e-petition. We need the 100,001 signatures before a debate will be consdered and also an MP to promote the debate. Another link is http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/1895 where over 100 MPs have signed an Early Day Motion to support unfreezing pensions for those affected.

I would strongly recommend people visit the ICBP site to get the correct information. As to visiting UK every 6 months I don't think the pension increase would cover the air fare!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mp's get a good deal on time served to get the Mp's pension, well its not 30+ years is it and I bet the moving abroad rule does not apply to them,

No the living in certain countries overseas rule doesn't apply to MP's pensions, they have the same rules as Civil Service Pensions and, I believe, pensions in the private sector, they are paid anywhere in the world and index linked, assuming you are have an index linked pension. This rule only applies to the UK State Pension.

Edited by theoldgit

As an OAP who immediately has a brain-freeze when consulting UK government websites, I would like to say thank you to all the people who have contributed so much helpful advice on this topic.

This topic, along with the recent one about dying in Thailand, have shown the good side of General (at least for the Brits!), and almost makes up for the usual drivel.

Thanks again.

As an OAP who immediately has a brain-freeze when consulting UK government websites, I would like to say thank you to all the people who have contributed so much helpful advice on this topic.

This topic, along with the recent one about dying in Thailand, have shown the good side of General (at least for the Brits!), and almost makes up for the usual drivel.

Thanks again.

elwood could you please link to the dying in thailand tread, i have looked and can not see it. many thanks

Thanks again.

elwood could you please link to the dying in thailand tread, i have looked and can not see it. many thanks

This is what I was referring to; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/526652-cremating-farang/

Hope it has the information you need.

Elwood

Just a thought and maybe I have miss a post that mentions the fact that if you elect to have your UK state pension paid into a Thai bank it is subject to 12 months and cannot be changed once committed.

So something to think about if or when you decide to go back to UK.

• Like 1

The case of the fellow I mentioned in my previous post who had the bar in Soi Bhukaow made the FRONT PAGE of the Daily Express when it was exposed around 5 years ago. The Express made more of a fuss over an old, sick ex coal miner living in Pattaya on his incapacity benefit than they ever did about the MPs expenses or the millions of our money given to the posh bankers. He suffered from that lung disease associated with the coal mining industry, not a 'bad back' or 'depression'.

Our betters in the government and the media hypocrites will come down like a ton of bricks on us working class scum so remember the old saying, 'Loose lips, no more trips'.

I may have misinterpreted your posts but they sounded rather like you were condoning fraudulent behaviour.

Apologies if I misread them.

You did not misinterpret my posts, I do condone what you may term 'fraudulent behaviour' however most folk might consider 'social injustice' a more apt and fitting term so you know what you can do with your apology.

What does it matter where a British old age pensioner who has paid his dues chooses to live. Morally justify why a British retiree in the LOS should be financially victimised and not one in Slovakia, Spain, The Philippines or Malta.

I dare say you can quote rules, laws and regulations till you are blue in the face but you sound as if you are the sort of self righteous,

smug, sanctimonious, self important jobsworth who would take delight in landing an unsuspecting ex pat deep in the proverbial. The sort of person who should be avoided like the plague, that's what you sound like, I hope I'm wrong.

Edit. Likewise, apologies if I misinterpreted your post.

No you didn't misinterpret. Note - I did't 'term' the phrase fraudulent behaviour - the law did.

I would take huge delight in dobbing in any thieving b4stard that defrauded any of the UK benefit systems. Self opinionated, ''let's break the laws when it suits us" half-wits such as yourself who then smugly deride law-abiding citizens are indeed scum of the earth.

The case of the fellow I mentioned in my previous post who had the bar in Soi Bhukaow made the FRONT PAGE of the Daily Express when it was exposed around 5 years ago. The Express made more of a fuss over an old, sick ex coal miner living in Pattaya on his incapacity benefit than they ever did about the MPs expenses or the millions of our money given to the posh bankers. He suffered from that lung disease associated with the coal mining industry, not a 'bad back' or 'depression'.

Our betters in the government and the media hypocrites will come down like a ton of bricks on us working class scum so remember the old saying, 'Loose lips, no more trips'.

I may have misinterpreted your posts but they sounded rather like you were condoning fraudulent behaviour.

Apologies if I misread them.

You did not misinterpret my posts, I do condone what you may term 'fraudulent behaviour' however most folk might consider 'social injustice' a more apt and fitting term so you know what you can do with your apology.

What does it matter where a British old age pensioner who has paid his dues chooses to live. Morally justify why a British retiree in the LOS should be financially victimised and not one in Slovakia, Spain, The Philippines or Malta.

I dare say you can quote rules, laws and regulations till you are blue in the face but you sound as if you are the sort of self righteous,

smug, sanctimonious, self important jobsworth who would take delight in landing an unsuspecting ex pat deep in the proverbial. The sort of person who should be avoided like the plague, that's what you sound like, I hope I'm wrong.

Edit. Likewise, apologies if I misinterpreted your post.

No you didn't misinterpret. Note - I did't 'term' the phrase fraudulent behaviour - the law did.

I would take huge delight in dobbing in any thieving b4stard that defrauded any of the UK benefit systems. Self opinionated, ''let's break the laws when it suits us" half-wits such as yourself who then smugly deride law-abiding citizens are indeed scum of the earth.

YOU better start in the UK, l know Thai's that are ripping UK system off, claiming lots and working cash in hand. cowboy.gif

Mp's get a good deal on time served to get the Mp's pension, well its not 30+ years is it and I bet the moving abroad rule does not apply to them,

No the living in certain countries overseas rule doesn't apply to MP's pensions, they have the same rules as Civil Service Pensions and, I believe, pensions in the private sector, they are paid anywhere in the world and index linked, assuming you are have an index linked pension. This rule only applies to the UK State Pension.

How convenient, one ruile for the pooor and one rule for everyone else!