New Topic! My Partners Intelligence Deciphered Through The Initial Language Barrier.....

Chittychangchang

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do you judge Intelligence, By looks or by knowledge, Look at Steven Hawkins, he is English by the way not American.modern technology caught up and freed him from a silent hell. Just because people cannot speak your language and cannot communicate with you does not make them thick, Also people suffer from Dyslexia me for one does that make me thick, maybe i htink

But how do we know Steven Hawkins is intelligent, very few people can understand what the h*ll is on about and I am referring to his theories of course....Him and his gang of collegues could all be talking absolute <deleted> and we could be in a real situation of bullsh*t baffles brain's....the man in the street will never know.....

so a person could deemed intelligent by the ability to talk absolute BS as well...biggrin.png

Once we are talking about Steven Hawkings level of intelligence (and knowledge in his field) - I rely on his peers. If THEY are impressed, then why should us lesser mortals assume he is talking BS?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With her standing over my shoulder I dare write this post hit-the-fan.gif I swear my wife is the most sincere intelligent woman I have yet to meet in Thailand. Though there is a wee small issue. The small connection between her brain and her everything else seems to have never been connected wai.gif

It reminds me of a joke, A man put an advert in the papers. 10 Volumes (books) of Encyclopedia Britannica for sale. just got married and wife knows it all.

In the Navy we have Artificers. They get promoted very quickly because they are supposable very smart. But we have a saying about them. They can tell you the circumference of a jam jar but they don’t know how to open it.

I know people that are disabled and are suppose to be stupid but they are very cleaver in there own right. Supposable stupid people get written off to quickly.

Edited by dean999

In the Navy we have Artificers. They get promoted very quickly because they are supposable very smart. But we have a saying about them. They can tell you the circumference of a jam jar but they don’t know how to open it.

I know people that are disabled and are suppose to be stupid but they are very cleaver in there own right. Supposable stupid people get written off to quickly.

We all know people like that.

Any reasonably intelligent, educated person will know that many others' qualifications are not indicative of their intelligence... (I'm talking about the UK, not Thailand).

Again....we cycle around towards the singular ideals of what intelligence has been suggested to us. It appears in variable circles and needn't be looked upon with superlative blinders.

Again....we cycle around towards the singular ideals of what intelligence has been suggested to us. It appears in variable circles and needn't be looked upon with superlative blinders.

Edited my post due to looking up and answered my own question about superlative blinders. If i could i would of just deleted this post.

Edited by dean999

When I say smart I mean book smart, well read etc.

This surfaced conclusion would well depend on said reading material, would it not?

It would also depend on how picky/pedantic the reader is to my post would it not?

As opposed to dwelling in generalisations and worldly standards to fit all situations.

A common navigation for most because not one situation will be the same as the next.

Except for those who have been conditioned to expell cultural-centred absolutes towards all.

Falacy.

Edited by zzaa09

When I say smart I mean book smart, well read etc.

This surfaced conclusion would well depend on said reading material, would it not?

It would also depend on how picky/pedantic the reader is to my post would it not?

As opposed to dwelling in generalisations and worldly standards to fit all situations.

A common navigation for most because not one situation will be the same as the next.

Except for those who have been conditioned to expell cultural-centred absolutes towards all.

Falacy.

we can all copy n paste thanks

Adj. 1. well-read - well informed or deeply versed through reading; "respect for a well-read man"; "well-read in medieval history"

informed - having much knowledge or education; "an informed public"; "informed opinion"; "the informed customer" 2. well-read - highly educated; having extensive information or understanding; "knowing instructors"; "a knowledgeable critic"; "a knowledgeable audience"

knowledgeable, lettered, well-educated, learned, knowing

educated - possessing an education (especially having more than average knowledge)

cheers

My wife is still learning English, ( she is not stupid ) but this was funny.

She was in her bathroom......

-Honey will you bring me tampon

-Don't you have in your bathroom

-No,all gone, I know you have many in your bathroom

-I don't have any tampons in my bathroom, why?

-I see you clean ear

-Ahh you mean Q-Tip

-Yes, what you think

I love my Thai girl....giggle.gif

• Like 1

I would think that all these Thai girls who've managed to fleece their farangs bone-clean must possess some level of intelligence. It takes a lot of smarts to be cunning.

Being Streetwise clever,and recognising a weakness ready to be exploited,should not be confused with real Intelligence.

-I see you clean ear

-Ahh you mean Q-Tip

-Yes, what you think

And how's your Thai?

-I see you clean ear

-Ahh you mean Q-Tip

-Yes, what you think

You have separate bathrooms... do you also have separate bedrooms?

-I see you clean ear

-Ahh you mean Q-Tip

-Yes, what you think

You have separate bathrooms... do you also have separate bedrooms?

I imagine they have a maid as well.

Op, are you referring to academic or having practical intelligent, in my experience the two do not go hand in hand….At all, some, a few are blessed with both, you know who these people are when you meet them! No, not me!

I think we all have a different view point on what being intelligent is, personally I think the mark of being intelligent is the ability to think on your feet, overcome adversity under duress…Problem solve though a constant sifting situation. Sure spelling your own name and knowing your own phone No is a must!

Not taking anything away from all you ‘boffins’ out there, I respect anyone who, though study achieves academic learning. But this is not down to being intelligent, on its own. I think we tend to view people with an education as being the only intelligent ones. I think this is due to the past where you needed money to get an education, so. The fact is years ago, anyone with money had power, position, education……And probably paid your wages…So it was best just to agree with the crap they came out with! Sorry to say I think this attitude still lives on…….have to be educated to be intelligent.

I do have to say. If I’m ever stuck in a tight spot, life and death type thing…..That sort of situation I would be a lot happier with people of practical not academic intelligent .

‘Chittychangchang’, sorry back to…………… the survey. I have a question for all who ticked ‘Average intelligent’, as opposed to ‘Same as yourself’…………………………Does this mean you see yourself as more…..Or less intelligent than your partner? If more than…….Then you see yourself as more than average intelligent…..Is that right?

• Like 2

I would think that all these Thai girls who've managed to fleece their farangs bone-clean must possess some level of intelligence. It takes a lot of smarts to be cunning.

Being Streetwise clever,and recognising a weakness ready to be exploited,should not be confused with real Intelligence.

Ok, so "streetwise clever" is not intelligence. Neither is level of education, as some of our esteemed posters have argued. And it can't be language skills (or lack thereof) that determines intelligence. Or level of exposure to western society. It certainly wouldn't be IQ or EQ or any other "Q." So what is it, exactly?

Ok, so "streetwise clever" is not intelligence. Neither is level of education, as some of our esteemed posters have argued. And it can't be language skills (or lack thereof) that determines intelligence. Or level of exposure to western society. It certainly wouldn't be IQ or EQ or any other "Q." So what is it, exactly?

We all recognise genuine intelligence when we talk to different people.

Having said that I know and love some people who aren't incredibly 'intelligent', but do 'think things through' rather than accepting any rubbish they are fed by the media and their peers.

Personally, I respect someone who actually thinks (rare in this world), far more than outright intelligence/genius.

• Like 1

I think Tontos Post no 48, above yours gives a fairly accurate description of the meaning of Intelligence,it's certainly a good Post,and worth reading.

Edited by MAJIC

I think Tonto28, Post no 48, above yours gives a fairly accurate description of the meaning of Intelligence,it's certainly a good Post,and worth reading.

Personally, I respect someone who actually thinks (rare in this world), far more than outright intelligence/genius.

When we were moving house the mrs helped me lift the television, which was one of those old fashioned heavy type ones, in the back of a pick-up.

While lifting I told her to keep the dam.n thing straight otherwise the colors would run out.

She exerted her back and made an honest effort.

It must have given her pause for thought because later on she asked me if I was serious.

When we were moving house the mrs helped me lift the television, which was one of those old fashioned heavy type ones, in the back of a pick-up.

While lifting I told her to keep the dam.n thing straight otherwise the colors would run out.

She exerted her back and made an honest effort.

It must have given her pause for thought because later on she asked me if I was serious.

That is a lack of education.

How do you judge Intelligence, By looks or by knowledge, Look at Steven Hawkins, he is English by the way not American.modern technology caught up and freed him from a silent hell. Just because people cannot speak your language and cannot communicate with you does not make them thick, Also people suffer from Dyslexia me for one does that make me thick, maybe i htink

All along I rhought that it was just htat the numbers were worn off my ketboard. Since your talking about intellegence and education, why not throw "common sense" into the equation?

giggle.gif In my "limited?" experience many Thai bargirls even with little formal education have quite an advanced knowledge of what a potential "customer" really wants....even when that " customer" keeps telling them they "really don't want" that.

That must be an "intelligence" outside of "formal education".

A good 30 years ago, while working in Saudi Arabia, I came to Bangkok for a short vacation.

I went into a local place for a "massage". While she was giving me a bath, the girl asked me where I worked. I told her Saudi Arabia, but I could see my message didn't get through to her.

Then, while she was soaping me down, and she was wearning nothing but a very short gown that left nothing to my imagination, I had the normal male response.

When she saw my response, the light came on. She said, "Oh, Saudi Arabia!" and she smiled.

And that's all you get of that story.

licklips.gif

All along I rhought that it was just htat the numbers were worn off my ketboard. Since your talking about intellegence and education, why not throw "common sense" into the equation?

"Common sense" is a VERY rare commodity indeed - regardless of where one lives.

giggle.gif In my "limited?" experience many Thai bargirls even with little formal education have quite an advanced knowledge of what a potential "customer" really wants....even when that " customer" keeps telling them they "really don't want" that.

A good 30 years ago, while working in Saudi Arabia, I came to Bangkok for a short vacation.

I went into a local place for a "massage". While she was giving me a bath, the girl asked me where I worked. I told her Saudi Arabia, but I could see my message didn't get through to her.

Then, while she was soaping me down, and she was wearning nothing but a very short gown that left nothing to my imagination, I had the normal male response.

When she saw my response, the light came on. She said, "Oh, Saudi Arabia!" and she smiled.

licklips.gif

V relevant I'm sure, but I'm missing the point.

licklips.gif

V relevant I'm sure, but I'm missing the point.

The point is that the girl made the connection between his manhood and Saudi Arabia.

This required a broad ability to reason so she used her Fluid Intelligence.

She smiled as a sign to communicate her knowledge which equates Crystallized Intelligence.

Her service was not for free and her ability to manipulate numerical symbols equate a certain degree of Quantitative Reasoning.

The fact that she smiled after a while shows that she had the ability to apprehend and store information and retrieve it later which is relevant to Short Time Memory.

At the same time she used Auditory Processing in order to process and discriminate speech sounds that may be presented under distorted conditions while maintaining Processing Speed which is the ability to perform automatic cognitive tasks.

Depending the OP’s size there was probably some Visual Processing involved as well.

All in all she espoused the full range of intelligence.jap.gif

• Like 2