Is This 'Real" Monk?

sunnyhor

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ agree. Many smoke. Most eat meat. Always seem to see monks at mobile phone shops lol.

He could be a short term ordained monk making merit for his family (which is the most likely scenario). Probably a private photo that got onto the web. Not saying its appropriate or otherwise, pretty sure nuns and priests must have some pretty bizarre photos floating around the web too.

Most Thai males become monks at some point in their life, it's not something that only the devout do. I don't understand why people are so surprised when one of them does something they shouldn't. When you make everyone be a monk obviously many are not serious about it. Many people in Thai jails were monks at one point too, and will be again when they get out.

It's because a Monk is the highest respect apart from the King , correct me if I am wrong. The are the most " holy " person public respect them.

Again I thought Monk in Thailand allowed to eat meat, but of course no alcohol consumed. It really surprise me because I highly respect them!

Most Thai males become monks at some point in their life, it's not something that only the devout do. I don't understand why people are so surprised when one of them does something they shouldn't. When you make everyone be a monk obviously many are not serious about it. Many people in Thai jails were monks at one point too, and will be again when they get out.

It's because a Monk is the highest respect apart from the King , correct me if I am wrong. The are the most " holy " person public respect them.

Again I thought Monk in Thailand allowed to eat meat, but of course no alcohol consumed. It really surprise me because I highly respect them!

I'm guessing you've had little exposure to the variety of guys in saffron, yes?

• Like 1

Hmmm, I don't quite get what you mean, can you elaborate?

I'm guessing you've had little exposure to the variety of guys in saffron, yes?

Edited by sunnyhor

^ agree. Many smoke. Most eat meat. Always seem to see monks at mobile phone shops lol.

That last one seems to hint at a common misconception: they are monks, not Amish. Nothing wrong with using communication devices, computers and so on. (When used for communication and education; it's different when used to play Angry Birds. ;) )

Guns of course are wrong in so many ways..

Ahem what a lousy excuse... Many have to choose between being a monk or joining the military, guess which one requires the most effort?

This has nothing to do with that monks are not Amish ppl, they just don´t wanna follow the doctrine because they do not wish to be a monk, it's that simple.

You are excusing the boys for being on the lazy side, where you like this perhaps?

• Like 2

Many drink whiskey. Some have girlfriends and/or boyfriends.

and gamble with the money in the donation tin, plus check and update there facebook profile for their Iphone4s .... and if they have time, and from a well off temple, watch the merc

Nothing wrong with using communication devices, computers and so on. (When used for communication and education; it's different when used to play Angry Birds. wink.png )

Thing is, it all comes down to 'no desire', which is their doctrine. Agree this guy is a tourist (ie, not a lifer), though many are clearly weak and retain the desire of any man. With that, what is the point?

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with using communication devices, computers and so on. (When used for communication and education; it's different when used to play Angry Birds. wink.png )

Thing is, it all comes down to 'no desire', which is their doctrine. Agree this guy is a tourist (ie, not a lifer), though many are clearly weak and retain the desire of any man. With that, what is the point?

Fully agree.

To control and manipulate the masses.

Ahem what a lousy excuse... Many have to choose between being a monk or joining the military, guess which one requires the most effort?

It's far from easy being a monk.

Often, tourists and early expats are frightened by these monks as they threaten their beliefs so they look to show their beliefs are better by pointing the finger at certain monks.

Do you think that gangsters and other criminals should be barred from entering the monkhood?

Being a 'good' monk requires a lot of dedication and hard work. Some will break the rules from time to time. Some will leave. Don't judge the whole religion by one example of someone trying to better themself.

Edited by Johnniey

I would think anyone is welcome to become sth better than they are but then there are rules to follow same like there is a law to follow. However in Thailand both of these concepts seems to be misplaced or just simply forgotten.

I would think anyone is welcome to become sth better than they are but then there are rules to follow same like there is a law to follow. However in Thailand both of these concepts seems to be misplaced or just simply forgotten.

....such concepts are misplaced, forgotten, and lost everywhere.

Thai society clearly hasn't cornered the market - or even on the radar.

For a start, how could anyone prove...

° This photo was taken in Thailand.

° Anyone can dress like this and post it on the web.

Similar to creating a computer virus - just to create unpleasantness...

Why would a 'real' monk want to be photographed thus?

Edited by ravip

For a start, how could anyone prove...

° This photo was taken in Thailand.

° Anyone can dress like this and post it on the web.

Similar to creating a computer virus - just to create unpleasantness...

Why would a 'real' monk want to be photographed thus?

The young fellow in question looks strongly Khmerrolleyes.gif

That lets Thailand off the hook - it's all Cambodia's fault.wink.png

At our supermarkets (Friendship/Villa style markets, not bigger than that) in Texas, we regularly saw "Buddhist" monks coming in to rent movies (back in the VHS days) and push their shopping carts around buying groceries and cigarettes (handling money... which is generally a no no). The only plus maybe was that we rarely saw them buying booze.

:)

At our supermarkets (Friendship/Villa style markets, not bigger than that) in Texas, we regularly saw "Buddhist" monks coming in to rent movies (back in the VHS days) and push their shopping carts around buying groceries and cigarettes (handling money... which is generally a no no). The only plus maybe was that we rarely saw them buying booze.

smile.png

Are there many Buddhist monks in Texas?

Actually there are many more "weird" pose from this " Monk " but I'd "misplace " the link.

I am a loyal Buddhism and every time I visit Thailand I will go to temple and do charity, but after seeing all this photos and some comments above, I lost " faith " !! wai.gifwai.gifwai.gifsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Actually there are many more "weird" pose from this " Monk " but I'd "misplace " the link.

I am a loyal Buddhism and every time I visit Thailand I will go to temple and do charity, but after seeing all this photos and some comments above, I lost " faith " !! wai.gifwai.gifwai.gifsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

If THAT makes you loose faith...wow...welcome back to Planet Earth!

Thank you, it will take a little while for me to come back to the planet.....smile.png)))

Found the link.................... " You give Love a BAD name "

http://www.prachatalk.com/board/สังคม-การเมือง/โกยเถอะโยม-นำแสดงโดยอาตมาเองพระวัดไหนกันเนี๊ย

If THAT makes you loose faith...wow...welcome back to Planet Earth!

post-55926-0-35255700-1327398426_thumb.j

post-55926-0-07376600-1327398438_thumb.j

post-55926-0-34464700-1327398449_thumb.j

Edited by sunnyhor