13 Reasons Why I Like My Galaxy Note More Than My Iphone 4S

oakweb

I have told everyone I know, don't EVER send me a text message, as I will not acknowledge it. If you have something to tell me, call me. I have yet to send my first text message, because I tend to respect others enough that I still find, clear, two communication important.

lol, guess you don't use email either?

I hate it when I receive email. I just feel so, I dunno...disrespected.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the Note for nearly 2 months not. I have owned an iPhone and two previous Android devices, both HTC. I love the freedom on Android. I had to Jail Break my IPhone to get half the flexibility. I do like the design iPhones, they look great, but I loathe iTunes.

While I agree with the poster above that many people buy Android's because they can't afford an iPhone, for many that is due to their own ignorance and devotion to brand perception and little to due with the ease of use or functionality of the phone.

I've found the Galaxy Note to be the best phone I have used by far. It is almost too big, but not quite. I can work out in the gym with it in my pocket, can fit it in my jeans/work trousers comfortably, even when riding my motorbike.

The Galaxy Note is slim, fast, and very user friendly. I skinned it with Go Launcher EX (available in the market), and now it is even more user friendly.

I see iPhone users staring longingly at the Note's massive, beautiful screen. Truth be told, when I hold my iPhone now I feel like I have been served a half-pint. Sure sometimes that is all you need, but who the heck ever orders one?

Unless gyms have changed radically since I was in school, why would you want to have a phone in your pocket while exercising? Doctor DeBakey might have if mobile phones existed then, but who else?

No gym workout would be complete without this little baby. But wait there is more, slip on the water proof case and be the envy of all the guys in the sauna, a great conversation starter ( comes in different hook sizes for the sauna)

Its not just for the gym though, the man about town likes to wear this as an accessory with different colors to go with the most imaginative outfits and the ladies will be impressed

Bondi-used-in-Gym.jpg

I don't know who that guy is, but I'm embarassed for him.

dont be embarrased ,hes the "envy of all the guys in the sauna " :D

please tell us which sauna? so i can put it on my never go list

^ good commercial!! Not super clever, but definitely brings home the message and entertaining, too.

I saw one recently... by God that thing is HUGE. Whatever you do, don't make a phone call on it...

huge_phone.jpg

vs. iPhone 4S....

GalaxyNote_1.jpg

Edited by nikster

Nikster laugh only but bear in mind that for an old "blind" guy like me, the Note is really nice, I can do sms/calender notes/e-mail and so on easily without the damned reading glasses.

I use mine for phone calls as well and it works like a charm and I haven't noticed anybody looking at me in horror.

The 3.2" screen on my old phone was basically useless to me.

So when you reach 50 like me and maybe have started to use reading glasses you will properly change your mind.

Nikster laugh only but bear in mind that for an old "blind" guy like me, the Note is really nice, I can do sms/calender notes/e-mail and so on easily without the damned reading glasses.

I use mine for phone calls as well and it works like a charm and I haven't noticed anybody looking at me in horror.

The 3.2" screen on my old phone was basically useless to me.

So when you reach 50 like me and maybe have started to use reading glasses you will properly change your mind.

Don't heat up,I'm sure Nikster only wanted to show us how ridiculous the iphone looks against the note.

While I personally think a phone the size of the Note is ridiculous I am absolutely aware that the trend is to grow bigger... you know it's a trend when teenage girls start doing it and I've seen these monstrosities in their hands...

I guess another trend that enables this is that nobody uses their phones to make phone calls anymore. They're used for text, chat, Facebook, anything... except phone calls. I know I spend way more time on the iPhone doing things other than making phone calls than I do making phone calls...

"Can you hear me now?"

BoD-thomson-mo5-platini.jpg

Given the ease of use of a BT headset it almost seems criminal that some iTablets don't have the capability to make traditional GSM voice calls; maybe they'll add that in the iPad3 just so everyone can have a 'monstrosity' in their hands. wink.png

The new tablets from Samsung 7.7, 8.9 and Note all work as phones. smile.png

The beauty of the Note, Android and vast diversity of offerings from Samsung and others, is that everyone has a choice, other than black or white, or maybe an "S" suffix. Rather than some humongous company telling us we only need a dinky smartphone, or a single size tablet we are certainly fortunate to have many, many options.

Edited by lomatopo

Given the ease of use of a BT headset it almost seems criminal that some iTablets don't have the capability to make traditional GSM voice calls; maybe they'll add that in the iPad3 just so everyone can have a 'monstrosity' in their hands. wink.png

The new tablets from Samsung 7.7, 8.9 and Note all work as phones. smile.png

The beauty of the Note, Android and vast diversity of offerings from Samsung and others, is that everyone has a choice, other than black or white, or maybe an "S" suffix. Rather than some humongous company telling us we only need a dinky smartphone, or a single size tablet we are certainly fortunate to have many, many options.

Off topic but i cant find anything but debates about the 8.9 tab making gsm phone calls have any links?

i have three 7 year old Motorola Razrs, each with a different SIM. here are my 20 main reasons why i like them:

I'm stunned that you wasted so much money on razrs...don't those 1,400 Bhat Nokias do exactly that....making phone calls and receiving them? tongue.png

i have three 7 year old Motorola Razrs, each with a different SIM. here are my 20 main reasons why i like them:

I'm stunned that you wasted so much money on razrs...don't those 1,400 Bhat Nokias do exactly that....making phone calls and receiving them? tongue.png

My back-up phone is a 1000 bath Nokia and it can text too, but that about it.

If I am here during Songklan the Note wont leave the house but the Nok will.

Its a bit like keeping the Rolls Royce in the garage when it rains and take the WW Polo or whatever instead, he-he.cool.png

I have been offered the Note at 19.700 Baht new in the box.Seemingly a grey import as it comes with worldwide warranty.

Some people say that samsung will not honor the worldwide warranty,while I consider that Thailand must be part of the world,sometimes they even think they are the world.

So what are your thoughts,or knowledge about worldwide warranty.Will it be honored by Samsung Thailand or not.

I have been offered the Note at 19.700 Baht new in the box.Seemingly a grey import as it comes with worldwide warranty.

Some people say that samsung will not honor the worldwide warranty,while I consider that Thailand must be part of the world,sometimes they even think they are the world.

So what are your thoughts,or knowledge about worldwide warranty.Will it be honored by Samsung Thailand or not.

You have to read the warranty card provided with the unit to determine the exact terms. Generally speaking a local subsidiary is responsible for all aspects of selling, warranty, repair etc. and may not choose to be responsible for warranty repair for units they did not sell. This would be covered in their agreement with Samsung. This obviously makes sense to guard against support costs for grey-imports and additional support costs even countries where there are a lot of foreigners. Since the local sub. did not make any revenue selling the unit it is easy to understand why they may be reluctant to service it. In some cases they could get reimbursed by Samsung, but this may not be allowed.

If you are concerned about warranty repair then purchase the unit in the locale where you will use it the most.

From the Note User's Guide: "For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your product."

Edited by lomatopo

i would be careful with a grey import ,before they started work on my cracked screen (GS2 ) ,i had to wait 24 hours to get an engineers report

s/n was entered into the computer and i had to tell them where and when it was purchased

(AND THIS WAS A REPAIR I WAS PAYING 4300 FOR ,NOT A FREE WARRANTY REPAIR !)

if they choose not to repair it in thailand ,what you gonna do with a 20,000thb brick ?

someone already said Samsung USA refused warranty on his thai phone ,so just send it back to thaialnd etc

how much does that cost for fedex each way ??

i would be careful with a grey import ,before they started work on my cracked screen (GS2 ) ,i had to wait 24 hours to get an engineers report

s/n was entered into the computer and i had to tell them where and when it was purchased

(AND THIS WAS A REPAIR I WAS PAYING 4300 FOR ,NOT A FREE WARRANTY REPAIR !)

if they choose not to repair it in thailand ,what you gonna do with a 20,000thb brick ?

someone already said Samsung USA refused warranty on his thai phone ,so just send it back to thaialnd etc

how much does that cost for fedex each way ??

I'm not so sure if Samsung Korea shares the same thoughts as Samsung Thailand in this case.

As for the Samsung USA refusal is quite normal I guess as the Thai phones come with warranty that only covers Thailand and which is clearly stated on the card.

For the Note I'm talking about is on the card written worldwide warrantee.

I have been today to the Samsung service center in Pattaya and asked the question,and after some time they showed me a big poster with in Thai and English was written that if the unit was not bought in Thailand that Samsung Thailand reserves the right to charge a service fee of 1000 Baht for warranty claims.

I think I will write to Samsung Korea and ask the question there.

I have been today to the Samsung service center in Pattaya and asked the question,and after some time they showed me a big poster with in Thai and English was written that if the unit was not bought in Thailand that Samsung Thailand reserves the right to charge a service fee of 1000 Baht for warranty claims.

I think I will write to Samsung Korea and ask the question there.

This is all an exercise in futility. The warranty card will clearly define the contact point for warranty repair.; trust me, it will have the subsidiary's name, address and telephone number. If you are concerned about warranty repair you should purchase the product in the locale where you plan to spend the most time.

My BB Torch bit the dust last week (drunken moisture ingress - long story). I was thinking about getting a tablet, and need a sat-nav, so the Note offers good value for me personally, if I can live with it as a day to day phone.

You can get a Talaxy Tab 7" for about 9kbht second hand, loads around.

Big phone, but sat-nav works well (I use Sygic)

NOte was a little small and too expensive for me.

• 4 months later...
Here are the things I don't like

#1 No Flipboard for Android! I hope it comes out soon

Filed under the "better late than never" heading...;)

(I noticed Flipboard on a friend's SGS3 a few weeks ago so found the APK and sideloaded it on my SGS1 and SGS2. Nice app. I think it may be in the Market now?)

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/21/flipboard-officially-launches-on-android-adds-google-youtube-and-more-localized-versions/

Flipboard Officially Launches On Android, Adds Google+, YouTube And More Localized Versions

It’s been a big week for Flipboard’s Google-related announcements. On Tuesday, the company revealed Google+ integration was coming to its social magazine, and today, the app is officially launching on all Android devices, including the Kindle Fire and the Nook. The Google+ integration, as well as newly added YouTube integration, is arriving today as well. The app will be available in Google Play, the Amazon Appstore for Android, the Nook Store, and in Samsung Apps. The Android public launch comes barely a month after Flipboard debuted its official Android beta and limited Android rollout as a preloaded app on the just-released Samsung Galaxy S III. However, it’s been just a little longer since Flipboard’s unofficial launch, thanks to the hacked version of the Android APK file from that same device.

post-9615-0-13966600-1340348932_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-49690900-1340348948_thumb.jp

In my opinion the Note is TOO big. I haven't held or even seen a Galaxy S 3 yet but that screen maybe is just enough smaller to be carried in a pocket.

Edited by Gary A

In my opinion the Note is TOO big. I haven't held or even seen a Galaxy S 3 yet but that screen maybe is just enough smaller to be carried in a pocket.

I thought the Note was too big too when it was first released in Jan or Feb and I saw them in the stores.

I just looked at it and thought "No way am I carrying that around all of the time!". And I dismissed it.

I had a Galaxy S (since June 2010) and was waiting for the S3.

Then, when the Note 10.1 was announced at the end of March, the stylus on a tablet interested me, so I went to check out a Note in the shop to see how well the S Pen worked.

After a few minutes I was in love with the screen. The size and and the vibrancy.

I still thought it was too big as a daily phone though and walked away.

I umm'd and ahh'd for about a week and went back to the shop 3 more times to play with the phone. Each time thinking "dam_n I want that screen, but it's too big to carry around all of the time."

On the 3rd trip back, I decided I could live with it for the benefit of having that huge screen.

After about a week of using it, it didn't seem big anymore.

Now it just seems normal to me. It fits in my front jeans pocket no problems.

And the few times I've used my Galaxy S to grab some files off of it, or try out a custom ROM, the phone and screen seem like a toy to me now.

I would find it hard to go back to a smaller screen now.

I spend 99% of the time looking at my screen rather than talking on the phone (web browsing, email, sms, Pulse, camers, forums, ebooks, music apps, videos etc.), so a big screen important to me. If you spend more time talking than looking at your phone, then maybe an iphone, or a smaller phone might be more suitable, but if you spend most of your time looking at the screen of your phone like me, then the Note makes everything look better.

I liken it to when I used to have a 51cm CRT TV.

I thought it was pretty good and saw no need to get a big plasma.

Eventually I did get a 106cm plasma TV, and after that would never dream of going back to a smaller TV. The times I did go and visit my parents and watched TV on their 65cm TV reinforced that for me.

Stepping back down to a smaller phone now would be so frustrating.