Good News Story For Today

scd

I lost my wallet on Tha Pae Road today while riding my motorbike. Contents = 800 baht + an atm card, credit card & drivers license from my home country.

800 baht is not a lot to some, but is quite a lot to others. The bank cards and drivers license on the other hand are indeed quite valuable to me.

I went to the Tourist Police straight away and reported it, and was in the car park about to leave when they called me back in. Someone had found my stuff and notified the authorities with a contact name and address.

20 mins later i pick up my wallet from a very nice lady, contents fully intact. She refused to take a thank you financial gift despite my ongoing insistence. My faith in humanity has been retained and a bounce has been added to my step due to good luck.

• Like 2

Unlike Pattaya the Thais (and Ex pats) in Chiangmai are nice people. I had a Thai lady chasing me down Thaepae Rd waving a Bt500 note that I had dropped. But the best was I when I had a flat tyre.

on my way down from Doi Suthep. Some Thai workers bodily lifted my car off the ground and changed the Tyre in a few minutes. They would not accept a tip!

Unlike Pattaya the Thais (and Ex pats) in Chiangmai are nice people. I had a Thai lady chasing me down Thaepae Rd waving a Bt500 note that I had dropped. But the best was I when I had a flat tyre.

on my way down from Doi Suthep. Some Thai workers bodily lifted my car off the ground and changed the Tyre in a few minutes. They would not accept a tip!

I agree, somehow Chiang Mai retains a lot of good nice people. whenever I go south to holiday resort I am confronted by much harsher Thais. Probably due to the constant exposure to tourists. Here people still go to wats, make merit and think that doing a good deed is a worthy thing to do

I have the same experience in Rayong, I lost my wallet when I drove my motorcycle home, 3 days later I get a phone call from someone speaking Thai, ....I hung up,

he try 4 times, until I gave the phone to my Thai friend who told me that the man in the phone found my wallet and have been looking for me for 3 days.

He also refused to receive reward.

There is still hope for humanity! :-)

Tom/

Reading a book, I propped my bag (camera, cell phone, notebook, medicines) on the chair beside me. Finished reading, I walked away. Distracted, I didn't notice it missing for a few minutes. Frantic, I rushed back and there sitting there in the same chair, a young Thai man sat, obviously waiting. He saw my pained face, lifted my bag with his hand and gave me a beautiful smile. He returned my bag and it seemed to me he felt as happy to do something nice as I did receiving his kindness.

That's one of my best memories of Thailand, By the way, this was in Bangkok. Thanks for reminding me sometimes the smile behind the smile is genuine, caring and completely honest.

Seeker

• Like 1

Good news, but I am not surprised. I have had many similar experiences with Thais over the years.wai.gif

It was not mentioned that the finder was a Thai.

Meaning what, exactly? Why do so many of your posts appear so nitpickingly annoying?

Good news, but I am not surprised. I have had many similar experiences with Thais over the years.wai.gif

It was not mentioned that the finder was a Thai.

Meaning what, exactly? Why do so many of your posts appear so nitpickingly annoying?

Meaning that everybody asumed it was a Thai person who called the Tourist Police. Obviously it did hit a nerve. whistling.gif

I dropped my wallet at a Mom & Pops shop before and drove off, despite ~3000 bhat in there the owner chased me down on my bike holding my wallet - after that I used that shop rather then 7/11 whenever I could. Several times I turnd up to various roadside bars and some of the guys there wouldnt let me pay for anything - although this is about 20km outside the city alot of kind people there, like the guy who wouldnt take any money for fixing my bike etc - although never experienced the same generosity inside the city

I dropped my wallet at a Mom & Pops shop before and drove off, despite ~3000 bhat in there the owner chased me down on my bike holding my wallet - after that I used that shop rather then 7/11 whenever I could. Several times I turnd up to various roadside bars and some of the guys there wouldnt let me pay for anything - although this is about 20km outside the city alot of kind people there, like the guy who wouldnt take any money for fixing my bike etc - although never experienced the same generosity inside the city

sounds great! but I wouldn't rely on it - you have been lucky biggrin.png

I have also left my wallet at a local bar in my area a couple of years ago and when I figured out the last place I used it I went back the next day. As I was parking my bike they came up to me and gave it back to me, everything intact. Not a Baht missing. Bought drinks for everybody.

I also have forgotten change at 711 and they have given it to me the next time I came in.

It's good to hear the good stories about honest people here.

nice but WAS it a thai who lost and a thai who found?

Only the op knows. smile.png

Well unless this lady is a foreigner that works in a shop that sells mobile phones, something I have never seen, I guess it is a safe assumption to make.

Curious how this thread as so many "new" posters

Well unless this lady is a foreigner that works in a shop that sells mobile phones, something I have never seen, I guess it is a safe assumption to make.

I don't know if you have some inside information from the OP. But he never said where this lady works.

I don't know if you have some inside information from the OP. But he never said where this lady works.

Apart from the post #5 where he says she works in a mobile phone shop. As usual a BS response from you.

Edited by thaimiller