Mazda Bt-50 Launched

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine too . We did go check in the shop and we were the 10th on the list for getting it , after 2 months of waiting , and they had no idea when but it could be more then 1 month more . However a 4x4 was coming in later and she would phone us if we needed it quick . Next day there was a phonecall , a 4x4 4door , 3.2 engine was in and we went for a look and took it . It is more expensive but ok . The 3.2 engine is immense strong and the 4x4 comes in very handy as i needed it in several occasion allreay ( could take other roads but i got a 4x4 for something hahaha .

So no orders might been taken for this year on the 4x4 3.2 engine but they are still coming through . Fuel consumption for the people wanting to know is around 9l/100 km , which isn't too bad , mixed roads ( from highway to 4x4 use .)

Yes, exactly. It's a big friendly truck that's always happy to see you . It's like driving a giant golden retriever.

Are they 20" rims? How did the ride quality change when you changed them?

Yes 20's. Bit harder on rough roads as you would expect but all good otherwise. The bitch was getting them balanced and aligned. A slow drive from the caryard to the wheel shop, wheels on then hit the freeway. 100 kph and a serious wheel shudder sets in, wheel guy says maybe a weight has dropped off and to go anywhere for a balance and he will reimburse. Pull in to the next b quik and they rebalance and then spend about 2 hours trying to align the wheels. Finally say its done and we hit the road I a pouring storm so no chance to test at high speed. Next day shudder is still there, but a bit less...arrrgh. Drive back to Bangkok and give it to Mazda as the b quik guys said the issue wasn't from the the rims. Mazda tries to dodge by saying we have changed the rims but pushed a little and they agree to take a look. They ended up sending it out somewhere the next day And now assure me it is fixed and tested at high speed. The head service guy said they always have issues when big rims are used.

Mazda tries to dodge by saying we have changed the rims but pushed a little and they agree to take a look. They ended up sending it out somewhere the next day And now assure me it is fixed and tested at high speed

The head service guy said they always have issues when big rims are used.

If you have the stock wheels might be worth popping them back on & testing

Hate to say so but Mazda is right....The game has changed drastically & it is not their job/responsibility

to police after market problems.

After market Rims build quality & quality control can vary so much with weight,offset etc throwing things out of alignment/balance.

Edited by flying

I got mine too . We did go check in the shop and we were the 10th on the list for getting it , after 2 months of waiting , and they had no idea when but it could be more then 1 month more . However a 4x4 was coming in later and she would phone us if we needed it quick . Next day there was a phonecall , a 4x4 4door , 3.2 engine was in and we went for a look and took it . It is more expensive but ok . The 3.2 engine is immense strong and the 4x4 comes in very handy as i needed it in several occasion allreay ( could take other roads but i got a 4x4 for something hahaha .

So no orders might been taken for this year on the 4x4 3.2 engine but they are still coming through . Fuel consumption for the people wanting to know is around 9l/100 km , which isn't too bad , mixed roads ( from highway to 4x4 use .)

Odd, the original dealer also offered us a 4x4 while we were waiting. I was tempted but he wouldn't budge on price or throw on any sweetener so I passed.

Yes, exactly. It's a big friendly truck that's always happy to see you . It's like driving a giant golden retriever.

Yes 20's. Bit harder on rough roads as you would expect but all good otherwise. The bitch was getting them balanced and aligned. A slow drive from the caryard to the wheel shop, wheels on then hit the freeway. 100 kph and a serious wheel shudder sets in, wheel guy says maybe a weight has dropped off and to go anywhere for a balance and he will reimburse. Pull in to the next b quik and they rebalance and then spend about 2 hours trying to align the wheels. Finally say its done and we hit the road I a pouring storm so no chance to test at high speed. Next day shudder is still there, but a bit less...arrrgh. Drive back to Bangkok and give it to Mazda as the b quik guys said the issue wasn't from the the rims. Mazda tries to dodge by saying we have changed the rims but pushed a little and they agree to take a look. They ended up sending it out somewhere the next day And now assure me it is fixed and tested at high speed. The head service guy said they always have issues when big rims are used.

Approx what did you end up paying for the 20's and did you trade in the stock wheels?

did they use one of these wheel alignment machines? 1274946068774_hz-fileserver2_833320.jpg

for anyone else i would suggest this place in chonburi. http://www.toppowerservices.com/index.php.

If a wheel shudders/vibrates at speeds over or around 50mph....80+kph

it is a balance problem not alignment

Balance problems will show as vibration/shudder at the steering wheel etc.

Sometimes felt in the seat or floorboards.

Alignment problems will show as pulling or drifting from straight line,

wandering on a straight road or the spokes of your steering wheel

being off to one side while driving on a straight/level road.

And of course uneven tire wear

Since it surely is a balance problem look at the wheel weights...

Is there a lot of weight needed to balance?

It does not necessarily mean it is the wheel as it could also be the tire.

Sometimes you will come across a badly manufactured tire.

One last thing to check is some tires have a valve mark & that mark should be inline

with the valve hole of the wheel...

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

Odd, the original dealer also offered us a 4x4 while we were waiting. I was tempted but he wouldn't budge on price or throw on any sweetener so I passed.

I heard allready 1 week in front when calling that there was not a lot coming in only a few 4x4's . When we got over there she looked at the map and we were the 10th on the order list , so maybe 1 month more of waiting which was too long for me . We even went to check on the nearby Isuzu and Chevrolet dealer . The Isuzu was over 3 months waiting , the Chevrolet i could take immediatly . The Isuzu does look good on the outside but the inside is not on the same level like the Mazda . The Chevrolet IMO is on the outside not super also . So it was back to the waiting . Day after we went to the dealer , she called us if we were interested in the 4x4 since they got it that day . We went over and it really was brandnew , 10km on the clock . Since it was this or waiting i did go along with it . After doing about 1000km i'm very happy with it , which is the most important . On the other side , i can not imagine ordering the model i got . Let me explain , the 2 wheel driven auto with leather etc is 60k cheaper , If you really want the 4x4 the top version with the auto and leather is up more 40k from the model i got ( 3.2R ) . Now on that price those numbers are not significant different,. So i can imagine that the 4x4 3.2R will be the most difficult seller .

For people who are interested in the sound , the standard sound system is very good . It is off course not a high end aftermarket system , but it is the best standard system i ever heard When cranking up the volume it does give up to quickly and the bass get's muddy but unless you really want a high end system you can easily live with this system .

On the driving side , the 3.2 engine is very strong and it has a lot of torque . It is not difficult to drive because of the anti slip system , so putting your foot down only gets you going and not spinning the wheels like crazy .

the rims fitted with maxxis marauder II tires were 25k with trade in of the stock. This was from a cousin so not sure of the walk in price, probably half that :)

Mazda did the job, all trouble free now.

Will need to fit wider mudflaps to suit the new wheels though.

the rims fitted with maxxis marauder II tires were 25k with trade in of the stock. This was from a cousin so not sure of the walk in price, probably half that smile.png

What's the size of The tire?

the rims fitted with maxxis marauder II tires were 25k with trade in of the stock. This was from a cousin so not sure of the walk in price, probably half that smile.png

What's the size of The tire?

265/50 R20

My landlord complained one day that my truck's alarm went off in the middle of the night. Well I told him that's not possible, my truck didn't come with an alarm system. Searched a bit and what-da-ya-know, turns out that the BT-50 does have an alarm and interior motion sensor.

165529zatvyayzadc2z6qa.jpg

The interior sensors are activated when you arm the alarm.

Triggering the alarm

Once armed, the alarm is triggered in any of the following ways:

• If someone opens a door or the bonnet without a valid key or remote control.

• If someone removes the multi function display.

• If the ignition is turned to position I, II or III without a valid key.

• If the interior sensors detect movement within the vehicle.

• On vehicles with a battery back-up sounder, if someone disconnects the vehicle battery or the battery back-up sounder itself.

If the alarm is triggered, the alarm horn will sound for 30 seconds and the hazard warning flasher will flash for five minutes.

Any further attempts to perform one of the above will trigger the alarm again.

Ok, this explains last nights drama. I left the windows down about 6 inches for airflow but put the cover on to stop the morning sun. About 2 am the alarm went off no doubt due to the motion sensor seeing the cover or on through the windows.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious why anyone would buy such an ugly car as this when the Ranger is the same and much better looking?

Mazda really dropped the ball on the styling on this. I just can't understand how they signed off on it looking like that, it's really one of the oddest looking pickups out there, only narrowly beaten by the Ssangyong.....

• Like 1

I'm curious why anyone would buy such an ugly car as this when the Ranger is the same and much better looking?

Mazda really dropped the ball on the styling on this. I just can't understand how they signed off on it looking like that, it's really one of the oddest looking pickups out there, only narrowly beaten by the Ssangyong.....

I'm curious at to why some people feel the need to impose their opinions on looks to others, or feel the need to criticise others because they don't like the car bought.

IMO the BT50 looks excellent in black, as does the new Isuzu. The Ranger looks good in silver, but that is about the only colour I like it in. But you obviously don't agree with that.

Why don't you go to the Ranger thread and post there how much you like it and stay away from the BT50 thread if you don't like its looks.

Edited by stevenl

I'm not buying either car, I am just curious as to why people chose the Mazda over the Ford.

OK, so why not just ask that question then in stead of judging?

For me it is simple: better looking, more complete car for the same price, better dealer service (at least got a much better impression, not much Mazda experience yet but start is good, no Ford Phuket experience), shorter delivery times, have a negative perception of Ford.

A copy of an online review:

Mazda has led with its chin with the new BT-50. In fact, it's the lines of that chin that splits opinion.

Where most contenders in the 'work truck' segment have all the sculptural qualities of a beer carton, the BT-50 has had its sheet-metal massaged and squeezed for an individual Mazda-family look.

Certainly, the Ford Australia-developed Ranger, on which the BT-50 is based, is a bit of a box. So is the Amarok. But has Mazda come up with a face only a mother could love – and does it matter?

It doesn't bother me: it's no picture-plate but it's different. You can make up your own mind, but don't judge it too quickly (it grows on you).

I think Mazda have tried too hard with this smiley face family look that is spread across the range.

*quote*

Why don't you go to the Ranger thread and post there how much you like it and stay away from the BT50 thread if you don't like its looks.

*end quote*

Because it's an open discussion about a car available in Thailand and I'm entitled to opine about it's looks. You have to admit, it was a brave move by Mazda and I don't think it has worked. But like the reviewer said, it may grow on me.

A copy of an online review:

Mazda has led with its chin with the new BT-50. In fact, it's the lines of that chin that splits opinion.

Where most contenders in the 'work truck' segment have all the sculptural qualities of a beer carton, the BT-50 has had its sheet-metal massaged and squeezed for an individual Mazda-family look.

Certainly, the Ford Australia-developed Ranger, on which the BT-50 is based, is a bit of a box. So is the Amarok. But has Mazda come up with a face only a mother could love – and does it matter?

It doesn't bother me: it's no picture-plate but it's different. You can make up your own mind, but don't judge it too quickly (it grows on you).

I think Mazda have tried too hard with this smiley face family look that is spread across the range.

*quote*

*end quote*

Because it's an open discussion about a car available in Thailand and I'm entitled to opine about it's looks. You have to admit, it was a brave move by Mazda and I don't think it has worked. But like the reviewer said, it may grow on me.

Yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. I like it, so really don't care about your opinion.

But a question like "I'm curious why anyone would buy such an ugly car as this when the Ranger is the same and much better looking?" is simply insulting to people buying this car. You're imposing your opinions on others, in stead of asking the question you apparently wanted to ask: "I am just curious as to why people chose the Mazda over the Ford."

Sorry, I should have put IMO in front of it.....

IMO the BT50 looks excellent in black, as does the new Isuzu. The Ranger looks good in silver, but that is about the only colour I like it in.

Sorry, I should have put IMO in front of it.....

IMO the BT50 looks excellent in black, as does the new Isuzu. The Ranger looks good in silver, but that is about the only colour I like it in.

Yes, 2 differences: 1) you ask for opinions so you get an opinion, 2) the IMO does make a big difference.

Please learn to use the quote function BTW.

they buy it because they do not want a box which all the other pickups are. the ranger has to have big writing on the back to let people know it is not a toyota or a isuzu. the lay out inside is a lot better than the ranger. i for one prefer the looks of the bt-50 than the other pickups . why would i want to buy a pickup that looks like all the other pickups on the market