Mazda Bt-50 Launched

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone seen or know of the stock 17"x8" Mazda wheels for sale in Thailand used/like new? My wife scuffed one of them today learning to drive our 4x4 BT-50.

Ask as some big wheel shops, they must have a stock (or know who they passed them on to) from drivers who changed to other wheels. Not sure if they sell separately though.

I ordered mine the very end of Feb. They are only making 400 BT-50 Pro 3.2 4x4 for Thailand a year. I have had my 3.2 4x4 for two weeks, within the first week I have noticed heavy rust on front end suspension nuts. I will take pictures tomorrow.

Any photos mate?

My truck is now over 2 months old with 5km and 700km from the sea, here are some examples of the rust on the nuts. Anyone else?

Are all bt50's / rangers having this problem? What's up with those nuts? Not rustproofed?

I ordered mine the very end of Feb. They are only making 400 BT-50 Pro 3.2 4x4 for Thailand a year. I have had my 3.2 4x4 for two weeks, within the first week I have noticed heavy rust on front end suspension nuts. I will take pictures tomorrow.

Any photos mate?

My truck is now over 2 months old with 5km and 700km from the sea, here are some examples of the rust on the nuts. Anyone else?

Are all bt50's / rangers having this problem? What's up with those nuts? Not rustproofed?

My Ranger has it. Delivered 1st September. Bad batch of fasteners?

Any photos mate?

My Ranger has it. Delivered 1st September. Bad batch of fasteners?

Mine was August 28th.

The bolts are not worrying for me . On some pics like the one which the driveshaft , i see signs of beginning rust on other parts . I need to check mine soon ( when i'm back in Thailand ) , but i guess we'll all have it .

Been playing with my BT-50 a bit, but mostly upgrades you can not see.

1. Headlamps Osram Hilux off-road H4 80/100w w/UV filter lamps - at least 50% brighter and still keeps the factory look. They sure fill in the road much better and do not require any other changes and 150 baht each was cheap too. I have not had anyone flashing me thinking I have my high beams on but I notice a huge difference. When I do use the high beams god let there be light!

2. Garmin 2565 GPS with CCD Rear backup Camera 10k baht

3. Ford UC9T 42790A steel fuel tank protector/shield 800 baht - cheap insurance since the tank is only plastic and standard equipment in other countries.

4. SMC Remote Mirror controler - 1100 baht - love it! lock the doors with the remote and the mirrors fold closed too. Unfold with the remote or automatic when starting the truck. Otherwise they still function as normal. Before I installed it, I had my mirror hit by Thai drivers twice.

5. Added LED lamps for extra brakes lights, backup lights, turn signals to fake tail lenses assemblies in the tailgate. This was mostly the silliest but I feel better. What the hell why have fake lenses? So I made them working, quite impressed too with the LED bulbs. about 2000 baht with drill bit, wiring and LED bulbs which are not cheap. But everything looks well balanced with the factory lights. Looks like it was supposed to be this way.

6. Stainless Steel scuff plates. 650 baht plus 100 baht for extra 3M double sided auto-tape. They do the job and look good too.

Still trying to get 3m Safety Film ULTRA S400 for the front windscreen/windshield. 3M tells me I can only get it in Bangkok. Trying to get them to send me enough for my front window. I want the 99% UV filter to save my interior with low 15% light block for a little relief from the sun but still allow me to see all the dogs and motorbikes at night.

• Like 1

1. Headlamps Osram Hilux off-road H4 80/100w w/UV filter lamps - at least 50% brighter and still keeps the factory look. They sure fill in the road much better and do not require any other changes and 150 baht each was cheap too. I have not had anyone flashing me thinking I have my high beams on but I notice a huge difference. When I do use the high beams god let there be light!

3. Ford UC9T 42790A steel fuel tank protector/shield 800 baht - cheap insurance since the tank is only plastic and standard equipment in other countries.

4. SMC Remote Mirror controler - 1100 baht - love it! lock the doors with the remote and the mirrors fold closed too. Unfold with the remote or automatic when starting the truck. Otherwise they still function as normal. Before I installed it, I had my mirror hit by Thai drivers twice.

5. Added LED lamps for extra brakes lights, backup lights, turn signals to fake tail lenses assemblies in the tailgate. This was mostly the silliest but I feel better. What the hell why have fake lenses? So I made them working, quite impressed too with the LED bulbs. about 2000 baht with drill bit, wiring and LED bulbs which are not cheap. But everything looks well balanced with the factory lights. Looks like it was supposed to be this way.

6. Stainless Steel scuff plates. 650 baht plus 100 baht for extra 3M double sided auto-tape. They do the job and look good too.

Still trying to get 3m Safety Film ULTRA S400 for the front windscreen/windshield. 3M tells me I can only get it in Bangkok. Trying to get them to send me enough for my front window. I want the 99% UV filter to save my interior with low 15% light block for a little relief from the sun but still allow me to see all the dogs and motorbikes at night.

Well done finding a 4WD BT-50.

After phoning around and visiting several Mazda showrooms in Bangkok and Pattaya I was told the 4WD BT-50 is not available. Do you know anywhere that has them and may I ask where you bought yours from?

I've narrowed down my choice to the following top 3.

1, Ranger 4WD 3.2 or 2.2 - Availability Forget it!

2, BT-50 4WD - If I can find one but the dealers are telling me at least months away.

2, Toyota Vigo - Its a bit old hat to say the least. Nothing like as nice as the bT-50 inside.

The trouble is I really need to get a car so might end up settling for the 4WD Vigo.

Any suggestions on where to try for a 4WD Ranger or BT-50 would be appreciated.

ecu shop have made a chip to fit the new ranger/mazda

What does it achieve?

check ecu shop website or call them

I just posted it because someone said ford/mazda could not be tuned

Edited by mcdiver

Any photos mate?

Yep I've got the same rust. Going to bring it into the dealer next week for collision repair and also ask them what they're going to do about the rust.

Hi Mate ,thanks for the answer on the other thread.

how is the rusty bolt problem going ?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone put passenger seats in a 4-door BT-50 to make it look like a wagon? My wife wants to know for she said what we're going to do when her sisters from Bangkok and Canada visit us at the same time. Wow, far-sighted indeed, that is - my wife!

Has anyone put passenger seats in a 4-door BT-50 to make it look like a wagon? My wife wants to know for she said what we're going to do when her sisters from Bangkok and Canada visit us at the same time. Wow, far-sighted indeed, that is - my wife!

Do you mean something like a canopy/hard top? I've ask about the Carryboy,depends on the model,but around 30K Baht+ soft seats 7-8K+AC 12-13K...total 50K+

Do you mean something like a canopy/hard top? I've ask about the Carryboy,depends on the model,but around 30K Baht+ soft seats 7-8K+AC 12-13K...total 50K+

Is he just talking about putting seats in a smart-cab or does he want a shell?

I've had a few shells and I strongly recommend not getting the aircon. It voids your warranty and Thea always seem to leak. Just install a sliding window between the cab and the shell.

After phoning around and visiting several Mazda showrooms in Bangkok and Pattaya I was told the 4WD BT-50 is not available. Do you know anywhere that has them and may I ask where you bought yours from?

2, BT-50 4WD - If I can find one but the dealers are telling me at least months away.

2, Toyota Vigo - Its a bit old hat to say the least. Nothing like as nice as the bT-50 inside.

The trouble is I really need to get a car so might end up settling for the 4WD Vigo.

I just walked in and ordered one with a 3000 baht deposit which is 100% refundable after 60 days. Worth the wait!

I've had a few shells and I strongly recommend not getting the aircon. It voids your warranty and Thea always seem to leak. Just install a sliding window between the cab and the shell.

I've had the sliding window in my Tiger,but that was not enough to keep the Carryboy area cool...I've even had a little fan put in the sliding window,to blow the cool air in...still hot!

...but you're right about the warranty...so,I'm still waiting for the proper hard top...I like the TF Top S5 ed model,but they still not making it for the New Ranger...waiting already more than 6 months and every time I call it's another 2 months... TIT

Just crack the windows in the back, that will suck the air from the front to the back. It won't get chilly back there, but much better then years of having AC problems. If you have people riding in back all the time it might make sense, but if that's the case, buy a van.

Just crack the windows in the back, that will suck the air from the front to the back. It won't get chilly back there, but much better then years of having AC problems. If you have people riding in back all the time it might make sense, but if that's the case, buy a van.

just rent a van when they visit!

I've had the sliding window in my Tiger,but that was not enough to keep the Carryboy area cool...I've even had a little fan put in the sliding window,to blow the cool air in...still hot!

...but you're right about the warranty...so,I'm still waiting for the proper hard top...I like the TF Top S5 ed model,but they still not making it for the New Ranger...waiting already more than 6 months and every time I call it's another 2 months... TIT

It will be a new 4-dr BT-50 AT which I will pick up at the end of this month. By then, I should have withdrawn enough cash from the ATM cards.

I want the extra seats enclosed so that it'll have one cabin. In other words, it will look like a 7-seater station wagon or SUV, like the Fortuner or Captiva.

I bought this truck because I like the rugged look of a...truck instead of a SUV. Now my wife has this weird idea. Perhaps I should just ignore her and let her nag?

• 2 weeks later...

Only three things I wish my top 4x4 BT-50 had that the Ford Ranger Wildtrak has is the diesel oil soot sensor, automatic climate control and drivers foot rest. I have seen on the BT-50 Thai websites that Thai have ordered the ford automatic climate control and installed it on the BT-50 which has help eliminate too cold a/c problem. The oil change reminder which connects to soot sensor in the engine and displays on the dash would be nice touch. But my biggest complaint is the missing rubber/plastic drivers foot rest like the New Ford Rangers all have. Where I rest my left foot it is just carpet and very dirty and hard to clean too. The Rangers have a plastic and rubber proper foot rest. I might order the auto-climate control(non-dual zone) from Ford and the plastic foot rest if I can find the part numbers.

Any photos mate?

Yep I've got the same rust. Going to bring it into the dealer next week for collision repair and also ask them what they're going to do about the rust.

Hi Mate ,thanks for the answer on the other thread.

how is the rusty bolt problem going ?

Ford & Mazda Answer: The dealer will clean any rust and spray rust protection on the fuel system if requested free of charge. Nuts and bolts will be cleaned and replaced if needed during the warranty period free of charge. All rust - warranty covered for the first 100,000km or 3 years but they boosted it to 150,000km and 5 years to ease my concerns. At my next service the dealer said they clean and paint any rust on any parts already painted black under the car for free and check for rust on the fuel system and clean if needed.

Only three things I wish my top 4x4 BT-50 had that the Ford Ranger Wildtrak has is the diesel oil soot sensor, automatic climate control and drivers foot rest. I have seen on the BT-50 Thai websites that Thai have ordered the ford automatic climate control and installed it on the BT-50 which has help eliminate too cold a/c problem. The oil change reminder which connects to soot sensor in the engine and displays on the dash would be nice touch. But my biggest complaint is the missing rubber/plastic drivers foot rest like the New Ford Rangers all have. Where I rest my left foot it is just carpet and very dirty and hard to clean too. The Rangers have a plastic and rubber proper foot rest. I might order the auto-climate control(non-dual zone) from Ford and the plastic foot rest if I can find the part numbers.

The climate control sounds interesting, any idea about the price?

• 2 weeks later...

Today the first inspection was carried out at 4.000 km / almost 6 months.

I expected that an oil change will be done and was surprised when I was told, MAZDA would just check the oil,

"because" the first oil change should be provided at 20.000 km, and then all further 20.000 km.

My service book calls the first oil change at 10.000 km or at least 6 months - am I wrong ...?

What was done at the service: The engine was cleaned with compressed air and at my request, the tire pressure checked, thats all ...

Maybe find out where these got there's ? News Posted today http://auto.sanook.com/4665/sanook-drive-ford-ranger-wildtrak-3.2-%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%89/

I expected that an oil change will be done and was surprised when I was told, MAZDA would just check the oil,

"because" the first oil change should be provided at 20.000 km, and then all further 20.000 km.

My service book calls the first oil change at 10.000 km or at least 6 months - am I wrong ...?

The maintenance stamp I have already in the service book, maybe I should choose an independent garage for the oil change.

What should I look, or should I just choose the best (most expensive) oil quality?

The maintenance stamp I have already in the service book, maybe I should choose an independent garage for the oil change.

What should I look, or should I just choose the best (most expensive) oil quality?

Have found the following info in the manual:

Engine oil - with filter: 8.6 liters is needed.

ACEA A5/B5 (prefered), A3/B3 / SAE 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-40

What specific type of oil should be preferred, to me it is not clear...

Is up to you, but at the end of the day when it is time to sell, it appears that your truck is worth XXX baht, service book and detailed history pays no part in the price.......... 1st truck every bit of paperwork was saved and service always done at Isuzu book stamped etc, so happens I knew the person that bought the old truck, it came/sold with No service history at all !! Why did I bother ?

Since then and 3 trucks later buy the oil and filters myself, get the local garage to do it, cost 100 baht, while you wait, so over the years saved 1.000's......... Truck is changed every 3 years to a new one, present one is the BT50

Edited by ignis