Land Scam In Laos

Focus

I've heard about a scam in Laos whereby a dishonest seller will sell one piece of land to two unsuspecting buyers, each thinking he/she is the sole owner. I hear this sometimes happens to unsuspecting Lao people. Has anyone heard of this and if so, do you know how it can be avoided?

Haven't heard of this but you certainly wouldn't hand over any money until you have had the paperwork done by the village cheif would you?

You have to have a government surveyor come round and mark out your boundaries too. I wouldn't hand over any money until all this was completed (except the surveyor fees).

I have heard of people handing over money to secure a deposit on a plot of land that wasn't even for sale. ohmy.png

A buyer has to protect herself by hiring a credentialed lawyer that knows the local real estate laws and can ensure your transaction is legal and protected according to the laws of whatever country you happen to be doing business in. Surely Laos has a standard government-sanctioned process for the sale of land.

Anybody who buys land from a guy on the street must have more money than brains. That sounds a bit harsh but I really can't think of a nicer way of putting it.

Edited by attrayant