News Another Laos Tubing Death

necronx99

The body of a Melbourne teenager has been found in a river in Laos, three days after he disappeared while tubing in the popular tourist destination.

Daniel Eimutis, 19, was on holidays with six friends when he disappeared at Vang Vieng on the Mekong River on Monday night, triggering a frantic search by family and friends.

This tubing craze is bizarre. A bunch of backpackers, then you add alcohol and water. Mix in large inflatable car inner tubes, more alcohol, loud music and spice it up with zero safety regulations.

One thing is for sure. Backpackers will keep doing it in increasing numbers. Everyone thinks death wont happen to them.

Vang Vieng is starting to see some change. Many of the riverside bars were closed down last week as repeated requests from the police and authorities to tone it down were largely ignored. Massive Chinese investment is taking place to make it a Chinese resort and the backpackers may have to find somewhere else to have their fun.

Last year Laos had recorded 22 tubing related casualties (Source: WikiPedia) ... without death following the people doing it it would not give the people doing it the thrill, I say let them have it their way... if people want to commit suicide in a fun way, who are we to stand in their way.

... without death following the people doing it it would not give the people doing it the thrill, I say let them have it their way... if people want to commit suicide in a fun way, who are we to stand in their way.

Indeed, who are we! Darwin's principle of Natural Selection and the survival of the fittest. Everything happens for a reason, however, I still find it sad for the surviving families.

... without death following the people doing it it would not give the people doing it the thrill, I say let them have it their way... if people want to commit suicide in a fun way, who are we to stand in their way.

Indeed, who are we! Darwin's principle of Natural Selection and the survival of the fittest. Everything happens for a reason, however, I still find it sad for the surviving families.

That's harsh. You were never young'n dumb? When I look back to my 18-24 yrs I am constantly amazed that I am still alive.

Maybe you just led a boring life.

This tubing craze is bizarre. A bunch of backpackers, then you add alcohol and water. Mix in large inflatable car inner tubes, more alcohol, loud music and spice it up with zero safety regulations.

One thing is for sure. Backpackers will keep doing it in increasing numbers. Everyone thinks death wont happen to them.

Why exactly is it "bizarre"? While I wouldn't do it myself, I can certainly see the attraction.

That's harsh. You were never young'n dumb? When I look back to my 18-24 yrs I am constantly amazed that I am still alive.

Gap years are a perfect opportunity to test if you are destined for old bones.

Personally I got shot at more times in my gap year travelling around southern/central Africa for 8 months in the early 1980's than I did during 10 years in the military a few years later. Obviously wasn't my time then.

Best feeling in the world.....being shot at and missed.

Edited by folium

Gap years are a perfect opportunity to test if you are destined for old bones.

Personally I got shot at more times in my gap year travelling around southern/central Africa for 8 months in the early 1980's than I did during 10 years in the military a few years later. Obviously wasn't my time then.

Best feeling in the world.....being shot at and missed.

Motorbikes are similar, that one split second where it was all on the line and seemed for an eternity to be going pear shaped.....

You can almost ive a lifetime in that second.