Education In The U.K For Thai Step Daughter

Hi Im getting married to my Thai finance in March and hoping to bring her and her daughter to the UK the dependent daughter will be 16 on arrival in the UK will she be entitled to education in sixth form etc ? any links or help would be greatly appreciated.

LEAs have a legal obligation to provide a school place for all children in their area aged between 5 and 16, regardless of their immigration status.

Compulsory school age actually ends on the last Friday in June of the year the child reaches 16 and LEAs are not obliged to provide places for those over compulsory school age; but if you contact them they may be able to suggest something.

How is the girl's English? Could she cope with A levels taught in English?

To enter a sixth form college or similar good GCSE grades are usually required; would her Thai qualifications be sufficient?

You need to contact colleges and schools with a sixth form in the area where you will be living to find out.

Thanks for that , her English is very basic but she is doing well at school in BKK . I just want her to come to the UK with her mum, the experience and chance to learn English will be good for her even if she decides to finish her high school education in BKK at a later date.

Hi,

My Thai wife and stepspon came over to the UK at the age of 16 and I had the same worries, they came in June and by September he was on an ESOL course at the local college (all free), made lots of new friends and even got a a part time job in a Thai restaurant. After 12 months he passed his course and has now met the requirments for his ILR when then comes up this year.When he forst came his English wasnt very good and he started at ESOL entry level 1, now he sends me txt's and speaks English really well, I am so pround of him. It seems once you get here everything falls into place, there is lots of help and support to educate young people so I am sure all will work out fine for you.

Good luck and if you have any other questions just let me know

Andy

Edited by andyandythai

Hi,

My Thai wife and stepspon came over to the UK at the age of 16 and I had the same worries, they came in June and by September he was on an ESOL course at the local college (all free), made lots of new friends and even got a a part time job in a Thai restaurant. After 12 months he passed his course and has now met the requirments for his ILR when then comes up this year.When he forst came his English wasnt very good and he started at ESOL entry level 1, now he sends me txt's and speaks English really well, I am so pround of him. It seems once you get here everything falls into place, there is lots of help and support to educate young people so I am sure all will work out fine for you.

Andy

well done , the best way to learn is to actualy do it , Getting a job and being with English speakers is the way forward, my wife came on in leaps and bounds doint the same thing.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Andy

Thanks Andy is good to know others that have been through all of this and out the otherside , its all a bit daunting when you start looking into it all.