Yingluck Revives Thaksin's Strategic 'Look West' Policy

webfact

INDIAN AND THAI RELATIONS

Yingluck revives Thaksin's strategic 'look west' policy

THE NATION, AGENCIES

30174615-01_big.jpg

before heading to Davos

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday wound up her two-day visit to India working to restore a "strategic partnership" initiated years ago by her brother Thaksin Shinawatra - spending the final hours as chief guest at the Republic Day of India celebrations.

The strategic ties are seen as reciprocal - connecting India with Southeast Asia through Thailand, while linking the Kingdom with South Asia via India.

The vision is compatible with Thailand's look west policy and India's look east policy, helping the two regions become closer, Yingluck told reporters.

She praised the significant growth and development of India during the past two decades - as the subcontinent plays an increasingly prominent world role and more Indian businesspersons were ranked in the annual Fortune 500 list of top global companies.

During talks between Yingluck and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday, the two countries agreed to speed up negotiations on a free-trade agreement (FTA) in goods, services and investment by March in order to reach conclusion by July.

Six agreements were signed after the talks, which included the transfer of sentenced persons, a memorandum of understanding on defence cooperation, and amending the framework agreement for establishing an FTA.

The framework agreement of the FTA was modified by adding an item for an early-harvest scheme, an official said.

The two countries will promote cooperation in science and technology, cultural exchange and cooperation between Thailand's Chulalongkorn University and the Indian Council for Cultural Relations at the India Studies Centre at the Thai university.

At the parade to celebrate Republic Day of India yesterday, Yingluck sat with Pratibha Patil, India's first woman president, and Singh, as marching bands and military hardware filed past.

Republic Day of India commemorates the Indian constitution coming into force on January 26, 1948. Only one head of state or government of another country is invited as chief guest for the celebration each year.

Yingluck later left India for the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, which she said would give her the opportunity to build confidence in Thailand among foreign investors.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-27

It would appear to me this is one more big step for Thailand to become a major player. They recently signed an agreement with China and now India the 2 biggest players in the new leaque. I feel this only goes to confirm even more my feelings about Thailands future in South East Asia.They are moving in the direction of being a major player,and not just cheap labour.They appear to be doing everything right. The baht is still expensive for the American dollar. Rice is still cheap.

At last ! It was more than enough time that Thailand stops its navel gazing and start opening to the world.

Everybody still remember the ridicule Thailand suffered just after the coup when ministers were sent all over the world to try to explain a new economy policy that nobody understood. And as today still nobody understand

East, West, Thailand is back in business. clap2.gif

At last ! It was more than enough time that Thailand stops its navel gazing and start opening to the world.

Everybody still remember the ridicule Thailand suffered just after the coup when ministers were sent all over the world to try to explain a new economy policy that nobody understood. And as today still nobody understand

East, West, Thailand is back in business. clap2.gif

Are you joking, Thailand is the laughing stock of the world... no-one anywhere takes anything spoken by a Thai person as the truth... Thai = Lie......................buy my bomb detectors please...Hahaha... thanks Mr T..

working to restore a "strategic partnership" initiated years ago by her brother...

As if she had a choice in the matter.

Not really. Some of the discussions started under the Abhisit government. If I am not mistaken, the prisoner exchange agreement was being considered before the PTP took office. I certainly see the merits of such an agreement and the mention of Thaksin is somewhat unfair to the government officials from the Abhisit era that were involved.

Are you joking, Thailand is the laughing stock of the world... no-one anywhere takes anything spoken by a Thai person as the truth...

Thai = Lie......................

buy my bomb detectors please...Hahaha... thanks Mr T..

Can you back up this claim by anything or is it just Thai bashing ?

May I remind you rule #8 : In using Thai Visa I agree: Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Edited by JurgenG

Are you joking, Thailand is the laughing stock of the world... no-one anywhere takes anything spoken by a Thai person as the truth...

May I remind you rule #8 : In using Thai Visa I agree: Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

And here I was thinking that it is the role of Administrators to remind forum members of the rules. I clearly was wrong.

And here I was thinking that it is the role of Administrators to remind forum members of the rules. I clearly was wrong.

Some people like to anonymously use the report button when they are not happy with a comment made by a poster who doesn't agree with their opinion. I don't like this practice of back stabbing. When I have something to say, I say it openly. Especially when it comes to Thai bashing. I live with my Thai gf for more than 12 years, and I learned to like and respect Thai people. I don't like to see them insulted.

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 2

Some people like to anonymously use the report button when they are not happy with a comment made by a poster who doesn't agree with their opinion. I don't like this practice of back stabbing.

Moderators don't remove posts simply because someone doesn't agree with the opinion of the poster and reports it.

"not happy" and "doesn't agree" and "opinion" have nothing to do with whether or not a post gets deleted.

It's not "backstabbing" to report a post.

Edited by Buchholz

Some people like to anonymously use the report button when they are not happy with a comment made by a poster who doesn't agree with their opinion. I don't like this practice of back stabbing.

Moderators don't remove posts simply because someone doesn't agree with the opinion of the poster and reports it.

"not happy" and "doesn't agree" and "opinion" have nothing to do with whether or not a post gets deleted.

I wager that you have "reported" a few of mine and agree it's not "backstabbing", closer to a nasty itch.

• Like 1

While the attempt to secure a position in the regional economy is laudable, India is a waste of time. In case anyone hadn't noticed, the economy of India is under tremendous pressure. The only aspects of the economy that continue to expand are corruption, redtape and inflation.

Yes, India is a big economy, but its a nightmare to navigate and Thailand should take a hint from trade initiatives elsewhere; The Trans Pacific Partnership agreement has the potential to create a major free trade agreement in the Pacific rim that would see Thailand sitting on the sidelines. The agreement will see the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Chile and Peru linked to a a single free-trade community that would lower lower tariffs and other trade barriers among the nine countries. With last December's agreement by Japan and Canada, the worlds' 3rd and 10th largest economies agreeing to participate, and the likelihood of Indonesian and Mexican participation, Thailand is about to be squeezed in a big way.

Thailand had a chance to participate, but apparently, the Mr. Korn the finance minister at the time the negotiations were underway was unconcerned. Cutting a deal on prisoner exchange or signing a document on cultural niceties is not going to help Thailand when Vietnam is given preferred access into lucrative rice markets and manufactured good markets.

India is renowned for its bureacracy and redtape. While the Thais are getting tangled in it, Malaysia and Vietnam have their eyes on the ball and are thinking strategically.

I agree in part. I'm very aware of two giant european manufactures of engineering parts who perhaps 5 to 8 years ago opened big manufacuring plants in India.

They are both very disappointed to say the least, with the masses of redtape, continuous talkfests with Indian officials which go on for days and produce nothing and more, and continuous internal talkfests which seem to be not much more then 'do you like my verbose English' with numerous items of vacabulary which is not in everyday use, all sorts of presentations of theories but with no focus.

And the bottom line, both European manufacturers are shocked at the lack of production numbers, and quality, which generates re-planning and more re-planning, numerous 100 page reports (which Inidians love to produce) with pages and pages of data which is close to irrelevant, more proposals for new equipment (already have the best equipments possible in place) and more and more plans for re-training.

Plus the local managers of one company have, without approval, added about 25% more positions on the organization chart, mostly middle management positions which produce no added value and in fact create roadblocks to decision making, etc.,

One of these manufacturers also set up a 'mirror image' factory in China (at the same time as set up in India), with excellent and quick results and they have since opened two more factories, in China, all with good results.

Edited by scorecard

I wager that you have "reported" a few of mine and agree it's not "backstabbing", closer to a nasty itch.

LOL

Gambling is illegal on the forum.

Beyond that, there's no need for you to try and slag this into some off-topic, interpersonal tiff. I was just correcting a misrepresentation of how the forum operates.

Reporting is done anonymously by members and any action taken is entirely determined by the moderators.

If you have a problem with that system, you should address it to Admin by PM.

While the attempt to secure a position in the regional economy is laudable, India is a waste of time. In case anyone hadn't noticed, the economy of India is under tremendous pressure. The only aspects of the economy that continue to expand are corruption, redtape and inflation.

Yes, India is a big economy, but its a nightmare to navigate and Thailand should take a hint from trade initiatives elsewhere; The Trans Pacific Partnership agreement has the potential to create a major free trade agreement in the Pacific rim that would see Thailand sitting on the sidelines. The agreement will see the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Chile and Peru linked to a a single free-trade community that would lower lower tariffs and other trade barriers among the nine countries. With last December's agreement by Japan and Canada, the worlds' 3rd and 10th largest economies agreeing to participate, and the likelihood of Indonesian and Mexican participation, Thailand is about to be squeezed in a big way.

Thailand had a chance to participate, but apparently, the Mr. Korn the finance minister at the time the negotiations were underway was unconcerned. Cutting a deal on prisoner exchange or signing a document on cultural niceties is not going to help Thailand when Vietnam is given preferred access into lucrative rice markets and manufactured good markets.

India is renowned for its bureacracy and redtape. While the Thais are getting tangled in it, Malaysia and Vietnam have their eyes on the ball and are thinking strategically.

The Kid is pretty close to the mark here even with his inevitable dig at Korn.

Edited by bigbamboo

Beyond that, there's no need for you to try and slag this into some off-topic, interpersonal tiff. I was just correcting a misrepresentation of how the forum operates.

Reporting is done anonymously by members and any action taken is entirely determined by the moderators.

is that a confession ????

Me thinks that this time Mr.Bakseedaa has his feet firmly placed in mid air. That is miles below his head.

The more Thailand opens up to anyone and everyone the more quickly it will be forced to address the sources of its lack of competitiveness.

Or if it doesn't do the latter, the former will just speed up it's flush down the global toilet. Which would happen anyway down the road.

So Thailand - get your &*$(# together in democratic participation, transparency/rule-of-law and education. Or watch that nice upward curve start to flatten and maybe even start down. . .

is that a confession ????

No, it was an attempt to put some structure to your off-topic babbling.

The Kid is pretty close to the mark here even with his inevitable dig at Korn.

That's exactly why i said 'I agree in part.'

Thailand signed a FTA with Australia in July 2004, to come into effect Jan 2005. If any oz products have dropped in price, it is news to me.

Vegemite has in fact got a lot more expensive, but worth it.

I agree in part. I'm very aware of two giant european manufactures of engineering parts who perhaps 5 to 8 years ago opened big manufacuring plants in India.

They are both very disappointed to say the least, with the masses of redtape, continuous talkfests with Indian officials which go on for days and produce nothing and more, and continuous internal talkfests which seem to be not much more then 'do you like my verbose English' with numerous items of vacabulary which is not in everyday use, all sorts of presentations of theories but with no focus.

And the bottom line, both European manufacturers are shocked at the lack of production numbers, and quality, which generates re-planning and more re-planning, numerous 100 page reports (which Inidians love to produce) with pages and pages of data which is close to irrelevant, more proposals for new equipment (already have the best equipments possible in place) and more and more plans for re-training.

Plus the local managers of one company have, without approval, added about 25% more positions on the organization chart, mostly middle management positions which produce no added value and in fact create roadblocks to decision making, etc.,

One of these manufacturers also set up a 'mirror image' factory in China (at the same time as set up in India), with excellent and quick results and they have since opened two more factories, in China, all with good results.

I agree with g'kid (can't believe i'm writing this) in regard to Vietnam.

I teach in an International Executive CEO MBA program in both Hanoi and Ho chi Mien city. (Yes very long name but all aimed at getting a certain group together.)

Hanoi is a whole different story and hasn't really embraced capitalism all that much.

But in Ho Chi Mien city (the heart and pulse of Vietnamese capitalism) the students are outstanding. All Vietnamese (although foreigners are very welcome) all practcing CEOs of both international and local companies, age span is about early 30s to late 40's.

All speak and write advanced to perfect English, always polite but no hesitation to ask questions in class, excellent discussion in case study team work etc. Team case study work / independant study work etc., always handed in on time or early. Lot's of interesting innovation in marketing case studies.

Many of the students very keen to learn about different types of organization culture / organization behavior and how that connects to creativity and motivation, etc., and most are very sincere about CSR, sustainable business, environment, etc

Lecturers always made to fell very welcome, students always concerned that your accommodation etc., is comfortable, etc, It's a pleasure to teach and share some time with them.

Edited by scorecard

Very rude comment !

If you feel that way, why are you here ?

Go away.