Guitarman Gone

Jangot

Sorry if this is old news, but I don't get out much......

Walking down lower Loi Kroh today, I noticed Guitarman now has new name. Bear Bar.

I really used to enjoy the place (on the odd occasions I get out) when Niki (sp?) ran it.

Was the reason for him quitting, the bust of farang performers that I read about a while back?

What is Niki doing now?

So, with no Guitarman, where in the area to go? I quite like Inter Bar, but it can be variable.

Yeah, you don't get out much. giggle.gif

Nick and Chokdeea (sp) moved to Mae Rim, I hear, and have a venue there.

Really sorry to see them go; it was often my first, and only stop on a night out.

We miss you!violin.gif

In the area...well Boy's Blues Bar is about it.

Other than that, for live jam- CU Pub, North Gate Jazz Co-Op, yadda yadda in the Muang area.

Or reggae dirt bar street (as I term it) for late night fun with a rasta flavor.

I expect WTK to fill us in shortly on all the secret totally way-cool places in the back alleys surrounding NimbleHymen and CMU. passifier.gif

Nicky's new place at Mae-Rim is called The Orchid and its on the main road that goes to the X-center, Elephants etc. Its before the turn to the four seasons on your left.

Shame they're so far outa town now. It used to be so easy to stagger on down Loi Khroh (past the Red Lion) to have some great entertainment.

Yeah, Nicky had it up for sale for a good while. He was seriously hounded and harassed by the local _________. You fill in the blank.

I think he had 2 buyers who crapped out, before he was finally able to sell.

I'm very happy for them, that they finally were able to sell- but I really miss the great group of people who used to congregate there.

Nicky's new place at Mae-Rim is called The Orchid and its on the main road that goes to the X-center, Elephants etc. Its before the turn to the four seasons on your left.

Shame they're so far outa town now. It used to be so easy to stagger on down Loi Khroh (past the Red Lion) to have some great entertainment.

Agreed. If it's close to the Four Seasons then it's waaaay too far for me to even consider driving back after a few drinks.

Close, but no cigar!

It's called The Orchard...

And yes, from the turn-off to Samoeng it is just up the hill on the left. Well before the turn to the 4 Seasons. He has some signs posted along the highway. (He needs a lit sign).

And nobody has mentioned yet - Nikky is a great chef. I've had his burger and his fish and chips so far. I have to say 'perfect'.

One of the best burgers I have ever had anywhere in the world - big, meaty, and with an amazing sauce. Fries are large, but fantastic - taste like potato. The fish was huge, juicy, and even the batter had delicious seasoning...

And both were garnished with an apple salad that not only had a fresh home-made dressing, but looked like works of art...

I used to really enjoy his pizza at Guitarman, and he is making pizza at his new place - I am sure it will be great.

And there is now live music every Sunday afternoon... (legal music, I believe!)

It is a fantastic place set in the woods, with delicious food, and some of the nicest (and most interesting) hosts.

Nikky and Nok have something special out there, and I wish them the best of luck.

Worth risking the drunken drive home (just joking).

Edited by wjmark

I used to really enjoy his pizza at Guitarman, and he is making pizza at his new place - I am sure it will be great.

I liked his pizza too. Now a days it seems really hard to find good pizza. I had really bad pizza at a popular place not long ago. Any recommendations for a good place?

I liked his pizza too. Now a days it seems really hard to find good pizza. I had really bad pizza at a popular place not long ago. Any recommendations for a good place?

One closer to town.

Close, but no cigar!

And yes, from the turn-off to Samoeng it is just up the hill on the left. Well before the turn to the 4 Seasons. He has some signs posted along the highway. (He needs a lit sign).

And nobody has mentioned yet - Nikky is a great chef. I've had his burger and his fish and chips so far. I have to say 'perfect'.

One of the best burgers I have ever had anywhere in the world - big, meaty, and with an amazing sauce. Fries are large, but fantastic - taste like potato. The fish was huge, juicy, and even the batter had delicious seasoning...

And both were garnished with an apple salad that not only had a fresh home-made dressing, but looked like works of art...

It is a fantastic place set in the woods, with delicious food, and some of the nicest (and most interesting) hosts.

Nikky and Nok have something special out there, and I wish them the best of luck.

I'm glad you said it first. I'm scared to death of recommending a restaurant these days that isn't already a sponsor. It seems the more petty of the sponsors have veto power of what others can post about their competitors. Luckily Nicky has no competitors in his particular niche of the market.

As positive as your post was about Nicky's burger, I'm still not sure you've done it justice. It IS the best burger I've had anywhere in the world. I never imagined I'd be making that claim about a Chiang Mai restaurant, but there it is. He couldn't have made a single baht on the one I ate, and in a weak, overstuffed moment I suggested to him he should make it smaller. I mean to say, it was the size of a sandwich plate. Either one of its two burger patties might have been considered "Chiang Mai's Biggest Burger". But I don't want to get caught up on the size of the portion, which was humongous. I'd rather move on to to the quality of the ingredients, the delicious flavor, the serenity of the setting, the really fair prices and the the bon hommie of the hosts, Nicky and Nok. I mean this place should be a Samoeng Loop ritual.

AnyyyyyWayyyy, if that weren't enough, I guess Nicky's doing a Sunday Roast kind of thing as well. As someone earlier reported his background is as a chef. Easy to believe because you can't buy a bun big enough to hold that burger I ate. You have to make it yourself, which he does. I THINK Nicky told me that Boy is playing there tomorrow afternoon and I intend on attending the sunday roast with my daughter as she just loves Boy. I expect it will be she that is dragging me out that way for subsequent weekend meals.

Oh, and by thye way, there is now finally an edible pizza available in Mae Rim. More than edible if it's as good as what was available at Guitarman.

Close, but no cigar!

I'm glad you said it first. I'm scared to death of recommending a restaurant these days that isn't already a sponsor. It seems the more petty of the sponsors have veto power of what others can post about their competitors. Luckily Nicky has no competitors in his particular niche of the market.

As positive as your post was about Nicky's burger, I'm still not sure you've done it justice. It IS the best burger I've had anywhere in the world. I never imagined I'd be making that claim about a Chiang Mai restaurant, but there it is. He couldn't have made a single baht on the one I ate, and in a weak, overstuffed moment I suggested to him he should make it smaller. I mean to say, it was the size of a sandwich plate. Either one of its two burger patties might have been considered "Chiang Mai's Biggest Burger". But I don't want to get caught up on the size of the portion, which was humongous. I'd rather move on to to the quality of the ingredients, the delicious flavor, the serenity of the setting, the really fair prices and the the bon hommie of the hosts, Nicky and Nok. I mean this place should be a Samoeng Loop ritual.

AnyyyyyWayyyy, if that weren't enough, I guess Nicky's doing a Sunday Roast kind of thing as well. As someone earlier reported his background is as a chef. Easy to believe because you can't buy a bun big enough to hold that burger I ate. You have to make it yourself, which he does. I THINK Nicky told me that Boy is playing there tomorrow afternoon and I intend on attending the sunday roast with my daughter as she just loves Boy. I expect it will be she that is dragging me out that way for subsequent weekend meals.

Oh, and by thye way, there is now finally an edible pizza available in Mae Rim. More than edible if it's as good as what was available at Guitarman.

Oh BTW,I\ve got a couple of Nicky's business cards, with his phone number and stuff. I don't think I can post it here, but if you want it, PM me.

One closer to town.

I believe the guy who used to work at Guitar man making Pizza went to make pizza at a new place in Santitham area, somewhere near Grand View Hotel.

One closer to town.

Nope - I had a pizza last night at the very popular American restaurant (the one with burgers, steaks, chilli poppers, etc). Usually considered the best of the CM American-style pizzas, I won't have one again. No sauce, flavourless crust, and boring cheese. There is a NY style place in town, but he is way too variable - sometimes pretty good, and often pretty crappy - just not consistant. Mad Dogs, UN Irish, Paradise, etc - adequate only.

Sorry - nope! Can't recommend any other in town.

As positive as your post was about Nicky's burger, I'm still not sure you've done it justice. It IS the best burger I've had anywhere in the world. I never imagined I'd be making that claim about a Chiang Mai restaurant, but there it is.

Nicky's doing a Sunday Roast kind of thing as well.

I stand corrected! Actually, the Red Top had a better burger, but that is really the only competition I have ever seen to Nikky's. And it is 8,000 miles away...

Yes - Sundays with music and roast! Starts around 2:00pm

Edited by wjmark

I believe the guy who used to work at Guitar man making Pizza went to make pizza at a new place in Santitham area, somewhere near Grand View Hotel.

That would be nice to find. I live near the Grandview...

Nikky's staff were pretty good, so that could be quite decent.

Nope - I had a pizza last night at the very popular American restaurant (the one with burgers, steaks, chilli poppers, etc). Usually considered the best of the CM American-style pizzas, I won't have one again. No sauce, flavourless crust, and boring cheese. There is a NY style place in town, but he is way too variable - sometimes pretty good, and often pretty crappy - just not consistant. Mad Dogs, UN Irish, Paradise, etc - adequate only.

Which restaurant are you talking about with the 'crappy' pizza?

He can't say. You have to figure it out for yourself. And I disagree by the way. It is what it is.

I expect WTK to fill us in shortly on all the secret totally way-cool places in the back alleys surrounding NimbleHymen and CMU. passifier.gif

Huh what? I avoid Nimman like the plague. You live a lot closer!

Actually I was just going to be pedantic about "Walking down lower Loi Kroh today"; that should be 'upper Loi Kroh', the soi numbers start on the moat side. :P

Which restaurant are you talking about with the 'crappy' pizza?

Duke's probably. Wouldn't say the pizza is crappy myself, but pretty consistently average, if that can be said when the

choice of that style pizza is somewhat limited around here as far as I know.

I prefer Italian-style pizza myself, and most of the Italian restaurants I've been to in the city centre serve a decent

pizza most of the time. Can't remember ever getting any crappy pizza.

Sometimes, if I happen to be in the area, I go to Pizza and Pasta, whose pizza's are better than decent, but too far away

from me most of the time. Seems to be quite popular with the Thais too. Think Pizza and Pasta serve

a thicker style (similar to Duke's perhaps) pizza too, but never tried that. Probably good too.

Edited by Awk

Hi . I will have to agree that it is the best burger i have eaten anywhere !! True gourmet burger that is second to none. You better go with a appetite because the burger is humongus , the pizza is as always fantastic . It is definetly worth the trip and really a nice ride . The Music is just a bonus . Good Luck Nicky & Nok Hope to spend many a afternoon consuming great food and good times . Misterintheclub.gif