Chalerm Pledges To Eradicate Drugs Within One Year: War On Drugs

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin eradicated drugs from Thailand in just three months.

Thaksin, ver. 1.0 ran faster than the current Thaksin, ver. 3.0

The Thaksin government launched on February 1, 2003, a suppression campaign that aimed to "rid every inch of the country" of drugs in 3 months. The policy consisted of:

- Targeting dealers

- Changing the punishment policy such that users would be considered patients in need of treatment

- Giving targets to each province for the number of arrests and seizures

- Awarding government officials for achieving targets

- Ruthless implementation

http://en.wikipedia...._administration

How long have drugs in one form or another been with us?

Can Chalerm, will Chalerm ever come to see reality or are his comments making him a legend in his own mind ?

It's possible for Chalerm to achieve his goal of the complete eradication of all drugs.

Thaksin did.

drugfree.jpg

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Nation - April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-declares-the-country-drug-free-area-77076.html

Edited by Buchholz

Exactly. How many will be murdered in cold blood during Chalerm's 'war on drugs'? Thaksin managed to kill innocent bystanders, drug users near drop in centres (users on programmes, not dealers) and off course the odd political opponent. Very useful don't you think? Now the reds and their ilk make more noise about the deaths of 91 folk in Bangkok, than the 1500 or so murdered under the Thaksin disctatorship. Quite frankly the whole thing scares me and those working on drug rehab programmes are equally as frightened. When will Thai politicians learn to do things intelligently?

The democrats had time to investigate that war in drugs but chose not to.

Why?

Government aims to heavily eradicate illegal drug business within 1 year

BANGKOK, 29 January 2012 - The government is determined to eradicate illegal drug business in the country as much as possible within a year's time while preparing to open a special prison for drug-related convicts.

Deputy Prime Minister, Police Captain Chalerm Yubumrung, said during the weekly 'Yingluck government meets people' on Saturday, that the current government has made the drug eradication a national agenda and planned to launch all measures to get rid of drug precursors and intercept cross-border drug trade.

The deputy prime minister filled in for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is now attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

According to Police Captain Chalerm, who is also Director of the National Command Center for Drugs, the government is planning to offer rehabilitation programs for those in need, launch anti-drug awareness campaign and collaborate with neighboring nations to clamp down on illegal drugs.

Moreover, all night entertainment venues will be asked to help tackle drug dealing.

The DPM said that, with all measures in place, the government hopes to eradicate drugs in Thailand as much as possible within one year.

Concerning prison drug dealing, Police Captain Chalerm revealed that drug-related convicts will be detained separately at a special jail, where guards will be carefully selected and appointed to watch over them. He added that a prison in northeastern Nakhon Ratchasima will be the pilot location for this measure.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-29 footer_n.gif

A better question would be, does Chalerm actually believe any of the drivel that comes out of his mouth?

Or is it a case of does Chalerm actually understand what comes out of his mouth ?

Perhaps he was born upside down wink.png ?

Edited by siampolee

Exactly. How many will be murdered in cold blood during Chalerm's 'war on drugs'? Thaksin managed to kill innocent bystanders, drug users near drop in centres (users on programmes, not dealers) and off course the odd political opponent. Very useful don't you think? Now the reds and their ilk make more noise about the deaths of 91 folk in Bangkok, than the 1500 or so murdered under the Thaksin disctatorship. Quite frankly the whole thing scares me and those working on drug rehab programmes are equally as frightened. When will Thai politicians learn to do things intelligently?

Thaksin did not kill anyone. Show me one case where Thaksin killed someone. Your statement is false and you know it. People that make false statements with the intent to malign others are liars. There isn't any evidence civil or criminal to support your claim.

Nor was there a Thaksin dictatorship. Thaksin was legally elected and the attempt to prevent drug cartels from taking greater control of the nation received wide support from all political parties and the population at large. The nation was united against the drug cartels.

If you are sympathetic with the narco gangs and drug cartels that were operating a de facto state within a state, then just say so and stop using Thaksin as an excuse for your support of brutal gangs and corruption.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Thaksin did not kill anyone. Show me one case where Thaksin killed someone. Your statement is false and you know it. People that make false statements with the intent to malign others are liars. There isn't any evidence civil or criminal to support your claim.

Nor was there a Thaksin dictatorship. Thaksin was legally elected and the attempt to prevent drug cartels from taking greater control of the nation received wide support from all political parties and the population at large. The nation was united against the drug cartels.

If you are sympathetic with the narco gangs and drug cartels that were operating a de facto state within a state, then just say so and stop using Thaksin as an excuse for your support of brutal gangs and corruption.

I don't wish to enter into a debate with you over this as we all know that you would lick Thaksin's boots given the opportunity. But let me point you in one direction: You asked if I was 'sympathetic with (sic) the narco gangs'. Read my post again, use your undoubted intelligence, and you will see that your question need not have been raised as the answer lies there in my post. And by the way, do open your eyes about Thaksin, you have a lot to learn.

Edited by ianf

The democrats had time to investigate that war in drugs but chose not to.

Why?

You know why. Thai politics and it's tangled web of leeches and criminals, low life and get rich clubs without morals.

Rightly or wrongly, sadly, no government, especially when there are numerous coalition parties (not necessarily all that well liked by the main coalition partner) , is going to take actions which would destroy the coalition to the point where they cannot govern. Sad.

Wow. Somebody really drank the koolaid.

Edited by lovetotravel

maybe they should think about taking a different approach rather than declaring a 'war on drugs', because that seems to have only worked in... oh yeah... it's never worked...and it never will.

the very phrase is a joke in itself.

wars have an end...

the more you actually think about it, the more ridiculous it seems... a 'war' costing trillions of dollars worldwide on a few substances... a few substances that alter people's consciousness, some being addictive..

a 'war' that criminalizes these substances, which in turn adds far more death and pain and suffering..

and these drugs are available EVERYWHERE... so if they were legalized, availability wouldn't be any different... possibly less so, for younger kids...

if you medicalize drugs such as heroin... give it a generation and any bit of a 'cool' or 'rock and roll' factor associated with it would be diminished... it would just be seen for what it is, a cure for patients who can't handle society or their own personal existence...

also, obviously drugs would be a lot safer...

and just fyi, the world wouldn't suddenly go batshit crazy if drugs were legalized!

but we'll just keep fighting the war, that seems to be working for society.

• Like 1

I don't wish to enter into a debate with you over this as we all know that you would lick Thaksin's boots given the opportunity. But let me point you in one direction: You asked if I was 'sympathetic with (sic) the narco gangs'. Read my post again, use your undoubted intelligence, and you will see that your question need not have been raised as the answer lies there in my post. And by the way, do open your eyes about Thaksin, you have a lot to learn.

You make the erroneous assumption that my stating the attempt to label Thaksin a murder is a sign of boot licking. The fact of the matter is that despite all of the claims made by foreigners in this forum that Thaksin killed people, there is not one piece of evidence to back up the claim. Yes, the matter has been picked apart ad nauseum and yet despite multiple inquiries and a concerted effort by the previous Abhisit administration, there was no substantive evidence to support such a claim. The fact of the matter is that whole sections of the border regions were taken over by the drug gangs. Under their control was the local judiciary, the police, and the government. That's one fact none of the whiners in here is willing to acknowledge. It was indeed a war, much as it was a war in Columbia and in Peru and much as it is a war in Mexico at this time. Mr. Thaksin is no more a murderer than the duly elected officials of the aforementioned countries that took on the drug cartels. You don't like Thaksin. I get it. Go after him on substantive issues, but not on this one because you are wrong. Don't accuse someone of being a killer unless you can back up the allegation. And if you are so certain, then why don't you lay criminal charges?

GK you are a wealth of misinformation, if you replace the name Thaskin with Hitler your statements will be just as valid. One doesnt have to be sympathetic with narco gangs and drug cartels so see Thaskin's drug policy was both ineffective, immoral and resulted in the execution of thousands of people, needlessly. I cant see that Charlems new war on drugs and the setting up of concentration camps for alledged drug dealers/ users will be anymore humane or effective.

• Like 1

So you think that the government should do NOTHING and just let drug criminals run free killing your children? Why is it that when the Thai government makes a stand and tries to clean Thailand up in any way the TV members start all these posts that seem to be "anti, anti drug war?'

Seems to me that the government should just hand over ALL of their issues to members on Thaivisa and you can all figure it out for them?

I say all the power to these brave police etc. and wish them the best of luck and hope that no one gets hurt.

Sure you can go on and on and on about what Thaksin did but get a grip people, that was the past, this is the present. It's a good thing that Thai don't listen to anything said here on these forums.

There speaks the experienced voice of a Thaksin supporter. The point I was making is that the Thaksin-styled war on drugs gave his cronies many an opportunity to commit foul deeds. Cleaning up the drug problem in Thailand is an important issue, but here we are talking about methodology and Chalerm does not seem to have grasped the issue. All he can do is mimic his boss. It seems that people involved in this dirty business fall into three camps:

1. Impoverished tribal males get involved in drug dealing (their sisters get into 'massage'). Although this is a generalisation there is a fair amount of truth in this which is recognised by many of the farang NGOs working in this field.

2. Police officers

3. Businessmen with big bucks often associated with politicians

So knowing these facts the solution will not be a drugs war as it only targets people down the food chain. Mr Big carries on as normal.

His Majesty the King wisely understood the connection between hill tribe poverty and drug cultivation. As a result the north has many King's (and Queen's) projects which turned poppy farming (etc) into market gardening and this was a hugely successful and valuable programme.

What the war on Drugs needs to focus on, therefore, is a two-pronged attack, these being:

1. Targeting corruption amongst the individuals highlighted in 2 & 3 above; and

2. Creating imaginative programmes, including vocational education, for the males (and females) as shown in 1 above.

OK, easier said than done, but shooting drug dealers on sight (and innocent bystanders, political enemies and so on) does not work as proven by the fact that since Thaksin's war on drugs, the dealers have come back stronger than ever. In other words shooting was a great headline-grabbing activity but it was of no lasting benefit. Contrast this with the King's Projects which largely eradicated drug farming in the North of Thailand and you'll understand what I mean.

Nobody is denying that the drug trade needs cleaning up old china , just the time limit , most countries would love to have the drug trade under control in twelve months, however lets be realistic , any one predicting the out come in twelve months should not be in that position, in any government, more like 120years.coffee1.gif

HEADLINE: CHALERM PLEDGES TO ERADICATE DRUGS WITHIN ONE YEAR.

REALITY: he (Chalerm) was confident that involved authorities would be able to make considerable advances in the “War on Drugs” within one year.

Why does the media always write totally contradictory headlines?

Eradicate is a long stretch from making considerable advances.

At least that is what I understand.

Boots? You are about a metre low.

He also fails to understand the responsibility of persons in power for their underlings actions.

I agree, if the original press-conference talked only about the latter and not the former then the headline is misleading.

Not that it changes the fact that it is still a pipe-dream (pun intended).

Would that then make Chalerm the hero in the war on drugs?

HEADLINE: CHALERM PLEDGES TO ERADICATE DRUGS WITHIN ONE YEAR.

REALITY: he (Chalerm) was confident that involved authorities would be able to make considerable advances in the “War on Drugs” within one year.

Why does the media always write totally contradictory headlines?

Eradicate is a long stretch from making considerable advances.

At least that is what I understand.

The fact that his boss once did this,

created a huge human rights violation in the process,

that their politically opposite numbers also did several rounds of eradication,

and leave us not forget those back in the 1930-90s who ALSO did the same....

and yet again this needs to be done ...

So very much speaks to the reality of the problem,

not the spurious political gamesmanship of the issue.

One year and done is utter crap.

Never finished, I would believe,

a present day stronger period of control I would believe.

Total Eradication is only in fantasy land.

Thailand is fighting several problems but 2 are the drugs brought in/manufactored for consumption and then Thailand as a avenue for shipping to other countries. Past history has shown that monies earned by the drug king pins in Thailand and legal proceeding against them are pertty much ignored by the powers that be.

Chalerm probably knows how far the police can/will go in this adventure, thus I expect to see sigle diget large shipment busts and a lot of the cannon fodder dealers and users caught, with great fanfare in the media. It will be similar to chasing the gambling dens, a few days late and/or nothing found last week, on inspection.

These people must have all taken a magician school at their university studies. They are so adpt at slieght of hand, while drawing attention from the disappearing objective. Which seems to be the nations treasury.

So you think that the government should do NOTHING and just let drug criminals run free killing your children? Why is it that when the Thai government makes a stand and tries to clean Thailand up in any way the TV members start all these posts that seem to be "anti, anti drug war?'

Seems to me that the government should just hand over ALL of their issues to members on Thaivisa and you can all figure it out for them?

I say all the power to these brave police etc. and wish them the best of luck and hope that no one gets hurt.

Sure you can go on and on and on about what Thaksin did but get a grip people, that was the past, this is the present. It's a good thing that Thai's don't listen to anything said here on these forums.

Well you might have some creditability but it is just a mite.

Reread the article and any other article about it not one word of cleaning up the dealers and users in the police force. Take one dealer off the street and you have more business for the police and army.

You are an idealist and that is OK but when you start to believe the ideals are true you have lost all conception of what is going on.

Do you not wonder why people in the field of drug rehabilitation are worried?

Having first hand knowledge of how it works I know for a fact it will just make some drug dealers richer.

Rehabilitation for users is the answer for long term success and they have no way to go about that.

If they ever decide to get serious they can look to Iran they are making progress and they are not depending on how many drug dealers or users they can lock up. They are realistically pursuing rehabilitation for the users.

They might look into Portugal they have had a little success in cutting down on users with out locking them up in special jails.

Nothing will change as long as people keep buying in to their vote buying rhetoric.

So you think that the government should do NOTHING and just let drug criminals run free killing your children?. . . . . .

There is one drug which causes children to die - more than all the other drugs combined. And that's (you guessed it) alcoholic drinks.

Thai authorities need to take a crash course (pun intended) in comparing drugs. Currently, hemp is illegal and it never harmed anyone. Ganga is illegal, but when have you ever heard of a ganga crazed person causing a multi-death traffic accident, or beating his wife? Some illegal drugs can cause harm (to its users and others), yet all the harm from illegal drugs don't come close the cumulative harm caused by alcohol. Interesting that the same politicians who are directing policies are also some of the same who accept cases of Johnny Walker Whiskey to sweeten bribes or for special occasions - wedding, funerals, promotions, holidays, etc.

A recent study in the US showed that pharmaceutical drugs cause more deaths than all illegal drugs combined. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Alcohol is the only drug that will leave permanent body damage. All the other one will not. The problem comes in with the poisons they use to cut the drugs down.

The vary fact they are letting Alcohol use be abused points to the fact that they are just trying to look like they are doing some thing.

Just a thought I was wondering how many of the dealers arrested are operating in police controlled areas?

Edited by hellodolly