Isaan Fruit Tree Farming Questions

Hi,

I only have Mango from your list and I don't even know what types.

I only have one mature tree and to be honest I leave it pretty much to take care of itself. The only thing I do is turn the hosepipe on it when it flowers. Haven't even had to do that this year as we had heavy rain last week.

I get some blackened fruit but I don't really worry about it. The family get plenty of fruit from it (they eat it green), some locals ask and take a few, but most are stolen :(

I never have to water as the roots go very deep and it will always get enough.

The only fertilisation from me is from compost heaps underneath the canopy and I'm not sure if any nutrients will leach thru the clay to reach the roots.

I planted a couple of grafted plants last year, again no idea what type, they were given to me. 1 is doing ok but the other died when my Father-in-law helpfully cut and burned some grass and burned it down.

The only pests that I've noticed are the big red weaver ants, they love mango trees.

I've been attacked by these ants so many times that I no longer feel them on my legs. They manage to reach more tender tissue higher up before I notice them nowadays :)

I grow all of those except macadamia, mango grow easily, BTW I read you shouldn't water the mango tree when it flowers,otherwise it will just keep producing more flowers rather than converting them to fruit.

Tamarine trees grow easily too, as do jackfruit. A problem with the jackfruit is the fruit rotting too quickly on the tree- there's an interesting article in the magazine yesterday of the paper we musn't mention dealing with this- keep the fruit apart, keep the numbers down growing on the branches, cover the growing fruit in plastic- fruit flies are a pest for jackfruit.

My longan are coming along but the leaves regularly get ravaged by insects, regular spraying has controlled that, I noticed too the longan doesn't like very wet soil.

I only have 1 mangosteen tree, it's doing well., I planted it behind a shed as I was warned it can't bear strong sunlight, now the shed has gone so I'm a bit apprehensive this year!

I planted 4 rambutan trees under 'dta cop' trees for the same reason, they're doing okay if slow growing.

My durian trees all died, I think the sunlight was too strong, the soil was good where they were planted.

To sum up - there are plenty of good nurseries in Issan now. I even have a 'sala'( forget the name in English) flourishing. Shading, soil quality and flooding possibilities are all factors to consider, but for me mangos and tamarine are the easiest to grow.

I