WSJ: U.S. military seeks more powerful bomb against Iran

News_Editor

Personally, I am very sick and tired of the historical US attack on Japan from WW2 being brought up so frequently on current events topics! It's been literally done to death.

It was only brought up in response to something you said...........

Edited by flying

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I am very sick and tired of the historical US attack on Japan from WW2 being brought up so frequently on current events topics! It's been literally done to death.

Did I mention Japan?

Did I mention Japan?

Sorry I should have been more clear as to why it was on Topic.....

If you will claim those without nukes might use them on a civilian target or are not to be trusted to have one...

Then it is fair to point out only one Nation has ever done so

ie: used one in anger against a civilian population & yet they not only still have them but would dictate

who should not?

Edited by flying

Israel recently bombed Iran didn't they? When was the last time Iran bombed Israel?

Seems to me that Iran would want a nuke as a strong deterrent to those that continue to bomb away and impose sanctions.

I don't think Israel recently bombed Iran. Link please. The international sanctions are about preventing Iran from progressing to a weaponized nuclear program.

Iran is directly involved with Hamas and Hezbollah, both of which have attacked Israel targets. Iran likes to play the proxy war game. The disgusting regime in Syria now, mass murdering their own people, a close ally of Iran.

Edited by Jingthing

Read this back in November

Especially liked this as it rings true

British friends of America can see all the signs of another country in the throes of "losing an empire and not finding a role", of a paranoid nervous breakdown. Britain has been there before. It should never go back. It has been warned.

America's itch to brawl has a new target – but bombs can't conquer Iran

TEHRAN - Iran’s foreign minister expressed optimism yesterday that a visit by UN inspectors to Iran’s nuclear facilities would produce an understanding, despite world concerns that Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons.

The three-day inspection tour by the International Atomic Energy Agency team comes amid rising tension. The West is imposing new sanctions to try to force Iran to slow or halt its nuclear program, and Iran is threatening to close the Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil passage, in retaliation.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/world/2012/01/30/nuclear-inspection-gets-under-way-iran/a2g087uUdxlH7FK4CZN00L/story.html

At least Iran allows inspections.

I would think that sanctions should actually be imposed on those countries that don't allow inspections.

• Like 2

Appeasers who believe what Iran says are totally naive. They use this as a stall and have been for years. Yes, the sanctions are working and they are freaking out. Not the time to weaken the sanctions as that's what Iran is playing for now; time to make them MORE harsh. Resolve may make them cave and war may be avoided. The line here is allowing them weaponized nukes or being very close. The appeasers think that is OK. Many don't. Thus, this conflict.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Appeasers who believe what Iran says are totally naive. They use this as a stall and have been for years. Yes, the sanctions are working and they are freaking out. Not the time to weaken the sanctions as that's what Iran is playing for now; time to make them MORE harsh. Resolve may make them cave and war may be avoided. The line here is allowing them weaponized nukes or being very close. The appeasers think that is OK. Many don't. Thus, this conflict.

They should have just done the Israel Quick Step. Just refuse to comment on anything and refuse to allow inspections. Then of course everyone would be happy with that.

• Like 1

They should have just done the Israel Quick Step. Just refuse to comment on anything and refuse to allow inspections. Then of course everyone would be happy with that.

The topic is Iran's program. If you are arguing that just because Israel probably has weapons translates that Iran should, that Saudi should, that Egypt should, that Turkey should, that Burma should, etc. that's a recipe for extinction.

Further discussion of the nuclear bombs dropped on Japan by the US during WWII will result in a suspension of posting ability. It has been discussed enough, it's off-topic and it does nothing more than bait other posters into an argument.

I can't see an imminent danger to Israel in the development of a nuclear weapon by Iran. Despite the religious extremists in the Iranian government, Israel is a little too small to hit with a nuclear weapon without doing significant harm to some major Islamic religious sites and a very large Islamic population.

Eminently reasonable given western logic, and therein lies the problem. As for any new item citing politicians, military chiefs or ex-military chiefs I don't think for a minute they are there to inform the public, more likely they are coded messages and disinformation intended to throw enemies off balance.

If things go to hell in a handbasket in the Middle East, I am sure the number one target will be Israel. I don't think, however, it will be the from nuclear weapons. For Israel, they will most likely use conventional weapons.

A nuclear attack on Israel would kill way too many Muslims and would bring about a Sunni-Shiite war. What sympathy/understanding/acceptance they might get for the destruction of Israel would be overshadowed by the large number of Arabs that would be killed.

Yes, I am using Western logic, but the Iranian military strategists are hopefully brighter than the Mullah's who will be giving instructions.

IMO even if the inspectors find no evidence that Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons it will not make the slightest difference. Look what happened to Hans Blix in Iraq. It is obvious that Israel have made a decision that Iran must be attacked come what may. Of course they don't want to put their military's lives on the line, they want others to do that. From the UK standpoint, Iran is certainly no threat whatsoever. But as usual, British foreign policy is dictated by other countries interests. There is no appetite whatsoever in the UK for a war with Iran, just as there was no appetite for war with Iraq. But in our strange version of democracy the wishes of the people will just be ignored, in favour of the bankers and arms manufacturers. If voting made any difference it would be abolished.

It is obvious that Israel have made a decision that Iran must be attacked come what may.

Israel has made NO such decision. To assert that they have is a bald faced LIE. To say that they are going to skeptical if the inspectors don't find a smoking gun ... that is obviously correct.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I am using Western logic, but the Iranian military strategists are hopefully brighter than the Mullah's who will be giving instructions.

Yes you are using Western logic and the Mullahs will only listen to the Iranian military strategists when they feel like it. The reason the Arabs lost the 1973 war against Israel was because they ignored their military strategists and the Soviets who had armed them and were feeding them helpful information.They had pulled off an unexpected surprise attack by following the expert's advice, but completely screwed it up after that.

The U.S. military spent about $330 million to develop about 20 MOPs, but the U.S. Department of Defense has now submitted a secret request to U.S. Congress for another $82 million to enhance the bomb's ability to penetrate deeper into rock, concrete and steel before exploding, according to U.S. officials who spoke to the Wall Street Journal.

That reveals the most basics and actually everything you have to know or what can be said about the US military.

They want bigger bombs, bombs to crack and destroy a defense system and they really want to use these bombs and that against a country in Asia.

And you pay for it.

Some posters really cannot wait for another war.

Interventionist and power-hungry morons rivaled only by the ones they call the great evil and want to attack.

Hilarious.

I can't wait until Iran caves in to international sanctions and stops their nuclear weapons program. A big bonus would if their people revolt against their theocratic dictatorship.

Interventionist and power-hungry morons rivaled only by the ones they call the great evil and want to attack.

Hilarious.

I can't wait until Iran caves in to international sanctions and stops their nuclear weapons program. A big bonus would if their people revolt against their theocratic dictatorship.

What would be your reaction if China and Russia would announce that the US had to destroy their nuclear weapons or otherwise would face sanctions?

Hilarious.

What would be your reaction if China and Russia would announce that the US had to destroy their nuclear weapons or otherwise would face sanctions?

My reaction would be... cheesy.gif

Support trade and exchange would be a way to go to 'get them' and not restriction and sanctions.

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations — entangling alliances with none." ~ Thomas Jefferson

janverbeem >> You avatar is very fitting as what we see here is yet again one bunch of criminals seeking to make sure they, and only they, have the weapons so they can bully everyone else as they see fit.

• Like 1

Not relevant. Iran doesn't have them YET.

You mean like how Israel doesn't have them either - officially?

So...sanctions are ok there then?

Not relevant. Iran doesn't have them YET.

You mean like how Israel doesn't have them either - officially?

So...sanctions are ok there then?

Start an Israel thread, OK?