Convert Visa-Free Entry To Non-Imm O Visa

I have written a similar post on another board, but this board seems to be more appropriate for my question, so please excuse the redundancy. Today I received the change of my thirty-day waiver stamp to a non-immigrant "O" visa at Cheng Wattana. I asked whether I could apply for my one-year retirement extension right away but was told that I must wait for sixty days. It seems that some people have gotten their ninety-day "O" visas and one-year retirement extensions at the same time. I must return to Tokyo on March 17th and will find it difficult to get back to Bangkok before the ninety-day "O" visa expires on May 13th. I wonder if there is any appeal process to request the granting of the one-year extension before the sixty-day waiting period is up. I meet all of the quaalifications for the retirement extension and would be happy to go back to Cheng Wattana with all of the necessary paperwork if there were a possibility of getting the retirement extension. Any opinions or advice will be much appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a visa exempt 30 day entry stamp, no onward ticket, I'm way past 50yo.

Today I went to Jontiem Immigration and asked for a 90 day non imm O visa with a view to retirement.

Both the girl at the 'reception' desk and the falang adviser said that they could only issue it together with the 12 month extension. That is you complete forms TM87 and TM7 together. They said I should go to Kbank on beach road where they have an arrangement. After opening a bank ac and depositing the 800k and getting a note from the bank manager that says that the money is there I should go back with passport copy and letter headed rent receipt. No min seasoning time for deposit, no mention of min days for application before entry stamp expires.

Follow up.

I opened the bank a/c put in the 800k, filled out the forms and photocopies, and returned to Jontiem Immigration.

They refused the 90 day visa (TM87) because the 800k hadn't been in the a/c for 2 months!!

Mario2008, thanks for your suggestion. Yesterday I went back to Chaeng Wattana and, after putting their heads together, the two lady officers kindly decided that if I return on the day before my departure on March 17th with a copy of my airline ticket and a letter of explanation concerning why I need to receive my one-year extension early, they will grant it on that day. I will be sure to obtain a multiple reentry permit at the same time. It seems as though my problem is solved and since I retire permanently on April 1, 2013, I hope to enjoy many more one-year extensions in the LOS.

I have a visa exempt 30 day entry stamp, no onward ticket, I'm way past 50yo.

Today I went to Jontiem Immigration and asked for a 90 day non imm O visa with a view to retirement.

Both the girl at the 'reception' desk and the falang adviser said that they could only issue it together with the 12 month extension. That is you complete forms TM87 and TM7 together. They said I should go to Kbank on beach road where they have an arrangement. After opening a bank ac and depositing the 800k and getting a note from the bank manager that says that the money is there I should go back with passport copy and letter headed rent receipt. No min seasoning time for deposit, no mention of min days for application before entry stamp expires.

Follow up.

I opened the bank a/c put in the 800k, filled out the forms and photocopies, and returned to Jontiem Immigration.

They refused the 90 day visa (TM87) because the 800k hadn't been in the a/c for 2 months!!

I sounds like one hand does not know that the other is doing. They should provide the conversion and then 60 days later allow the extension of stay but if they will only do both at the same time you indeed would not qualify (nor would most applicants). I would suggest you visit Chiang Watanna and explain why you are making application there (they should allow as they do make the conversion even if you are not living in Bangkok).

• 3 weeks later...

I got the one-year retirement extension and a multiple re-entry permit on March 16th so now I'm good until May 13, 2013. Does anyone have customs information regarding the shipping of personal effects to Bangkok? Thanks.