Convert Visa-Free Entry To Non-Imm O Visa

I have a friend who's planning to come to Thailand from the US and wants to stay for a year or maybe longer. He's over 50. I think his choices are...

1. Arrive visa-free in the country and then convert to non-imm-o when he gets here. Is this allowed? I read somewhere that you can't do a visa-free entry unless you have a return ticket. Is this true. He just wants to buy a one-way ticket because he's not sure when he'll live. But if this is allowed, how does he convert to a non-imm-o.

2. apply for single-entry non-imm-o in USA before coming here. Can he use a one way ticket if he has that visa? If so, does he then just apply for permission to extend stay based on retirement? Is single-entry non-imm-o visa only valid for 30 days? Does he need to apply for permission to extend stay as soon as he gets here?

Any help appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs aticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival, unless he has a genuine visa. It might be wiser for him to apply for a non-O visa based on his age. Than he only has to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement once in Thailand, during the last 30 days of his permisison to stay.

He should appy for a single entry Non-O visa for retirement planning, since he is over 50. He can apply for this by express courrier and does not have to go to the Embassy or consulate. The Royal Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon has been very "friendly" in the past and have indicated recently that they will do this. He should contact them. Portland Non-O retirement.doc

In addition to his age, he must meet the financial requiremets. He can either show that his monthly income from outsuide of Thailand is at least 65000 baht/ month, or have 800000 baht deposited in a Thai Bank, in his name only, which has been there for at least 2 months before he applies for his 1 year extension - cost 1900 baht. He can also use a combination of both to meet the 800000 baht requirement. In that case the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned for 2 months.

If he uses the monthly income method he would have to get an "income affidavit" from the US Embassy in Bangkok or US Consulate in Chaing Mai. It is a sworn notarized statement and requires no proof of income - coast $50. He might require the proof to backup the letter at immigration.

If he uses the bank deposit method he would have to get a letter from the Thai bank along with a copy of his bankbook. If he is going to use this method he should coordinate the details of the transfer with his bank in the US before he comes to Thailand.

• Like 1

He could come in visa-exempt and obtain his O visa here, if he buys a "throw-away" ticket to anyplace outside of Thailand, departing within 30 days of arrival, to show to the airline when he boards in the U.S. It doesn't need to be a return ticket all the way back to the U.S.

The single-entry non-O visa is valid for travel to Thailand for three months (some consulate make it 90 days) from its date of issue and on arrival in Thailand you receive permission to stay for 90 days.

I'm kind of in the same situation. I live outside of San Francisco and the closest consulate is in LA. In order to obtain the non "o" 90 day visa. Is this something I can submit on my own using a registered letter or is it recommended I use a courier service. Thanks!

I'm kind of in the same situation. I live outside of San Francisco and the closest consulate is in LA. In order to obtain the non "o" 90 day visa. Is this something I can submit on my own using a registered letter or is it recommended I use a courier service. Thanks!

I used to just send all my paperwork, fee, and passport via USPS priority mail with tracking. Also include a return envelope with pre-paid postage for the return of your passport.

On another tip, before I applied for any visa to Thailand I would email all the consulates I could get details on. They have (had?) one in Denver, Oregon, Illinois and a few other places. Just google for them. Then you send an email to all of them asking what the requirements are for the visa you are interested in. Then you wait for the replies and take the one you prefer and print out the email reply they sent you and include that with your paperwork. I have never gone into any thai embassy or consulate in the US and have done many many visas of different types (including type-O) and I can tell you that the requirements from diff consulates vary. Also, the consulates don't pay for the visas they issue so they use the fees collected to operate (or profit). The smaller consulates tend to have very quick turn around where as LA and NYC are slow and very strict.

Your mileage may vary.

Here's some help

http://www.angeltravel.com/Misc/royal_thai_consulate.htm

Edited by Jayman

I would use portland rather than LA. They are very "friendy". See the attachment to post #2. The info on the attachement is not outdated, as I received it on 1/26/2012.

Edited by wayned

He can also use a combination of both to meet the 800000 baht requirement. In that case the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned for 2 months.

Be aware that some upcountry Immigrations offices DO require that the money be seasoned when using the income+savings combination method. Hua Hin is one such place.

If he uses the monthly income method he would have to get an "income affidavit" from the US Embassy in Bangkok or US Consulate in Chaing Mai. It is a sworn notarized statement and requires no proof of income - coast $50.

If the timing works out, and you don't live in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, the US Embassy does routine outreach visits throughout the country, though not very frequent, at which you can obtain the embassy income declaration letter. Any US citizen who is moving here can register online with the US Embassy and will be notified by e-mail with the schedule of the Embassy outreach visits. If you are reluctant let Big Brother know where you are <g>, you can check this web page for the current outreach visit schedule.

I would use portland rather than LA.

Agree. I don't think any of the official consualtes (LA, NY, CHI, DC) will issue Non Imm O visas based on being retirement eligible (they'll insist you apply for a Non Imm O-A visa).

And, not all the honorary consulates will issue O visas for retirement eligible. Portland, yes. Houston, no. Not sure about the others....

I would use portland rather than LA. They are very "friendy". See the attachment to post #2. The info on the attachement is not outdated, as I received it on 1/26/2012.

thanks for all the info. I went ahead and e-mailed the Portland Consulate requesting requirments last week for the non "o" 9o day visa. How long does it usually take for a response back. Should I wait for the response or go ahead and take the lead and fill out the approriate paperwork and baht exchage value per todays exchange rate.

Sorry if this comes across as simplistic drivel, but I'm looking at leaving for BKK for good the second half of April and honestly it's the only thing on my mind LOL!!!

I'm syrprised they hvaen't answered yet. Here is their website with the fees and downloadable application form.

Thanks for the swift response Wayned.

I actually did receive a summarized response back from Mary last night. Your link provided more detailed information.

Thanks again!

I actually did receive a summarized response back from Mary last night.

What did she say about what financial statements are acceptable? And for how much? (I've never seen exactly what Portland accepts for retirement-eligible financial data.)

...fill out the approriate paperwork and baht exchage value per todays exchange rate.

What paperwork are you talking about that would require knowing the baht exchange rate? Maybe your answer to question one, above, has Mary requiring some FX knowledge on your part....? However, I kinda think requirements would be ballpark dollar figures.....(?).

I would use portland rather than LA.

Agree. I don't think any of the official consualtes (LA, NY, CHI, DC) will issue Non Imm O visas based on being retirement eligible (they'll insist you apply for a Non Imm O-A visa).

And, not all the honorary consulates will issue O visas for retirement eligible. Portland, yes. Houston, no. Not sure about the others....

There must be more than 1 honorary consulate in houston. Forrest @ ryan law firm should be able to hook you up with multiple entry [whatever] non imm visa. Send him an email. Should reply same-day during working hours. He's a very straightforward guy. The paperwork is usually the absolute minimum needed to justify visa. Just ask him first and he will confirm requirements. Avoid calling....use email and trackable carrier.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

There is only one Honorary Consulate in Houston:

Visa application procedures , Houston Texas.doc

Portland is closer to where he lives and Houston has idicated, to me, that they would not issue a single entry Non-O for retirement purposes and says that all retirement issues should be addressed to Washington.

There is only one Honorary Consulate in Houston:

Visa application procedures , Houston Texas.doc

Portland is closer to where he lives and Houston has idicated, to me, that they would not issue a single entry Non-O for retirement purposes and says that all retirement issues should be addressed to Washington.

My fault. Forrest is located in Dallas, tx. i suggest contacting him http://www.ryanlawllp.com/professionals/forrest-smith/.Or pm me for email. I could not understand all the problems people were having getting multiple entry visa. But i see now we were referring to different honorary consulates.

Just looking over forrest's stated resume, he's quite accomplished, and explains why he was very busy. i'm surprised he answers email so fast. And he is extremely straightforward with paperwork requirements :).

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

I actually did receive a summarized response back from Mary last night.

What did she say about what financial statements are acceptable? And for how much? (I've never seen exactly what Portland accepts for retirement-eligible financial data.)

...fill out the approriate paperwork and baht exchage value per todays exchange rate.

What paperwork are you talking about that would require knowing the baht exchange rate? Maybe your answer to question one, above, has Mary requiring some FX knowledge on your part....? However, I kinda think requirements would be ballpark dollar figures.....(?).

1. I didn't really inquire about financial issues as I'm just going after the 90 day visa and will take care of the full retirement visa after landing in BKK.. She stated nothing about financial requirements for this visa.

2. just an over reaction on my part. I hadn't heard back from her for almost a week and wanted to proced on my own using the info on the Thail Embassey website which states any charges in baht.

After reviewing the Thai application and instructions, I have a few other questions as I am really moving forward on this.

1. Do you need to have airfare purchased and reported on the application prior to submitting the application and would leaving the departure date blank (as I'm only looking at a one way ticket) raise any flags?

2. Any recommmendation on the best and most inexpensive way for sending a return envelope fo from the consulate. Are they just recommending air only pertaining to Fed Ex?

Thanks

Not sure why anyone would want to get retirement visa from Thai consulate if it is so easy to have it done in Thailand.

My experience:

- Obtained 30 days stamp on arrival.

- The following day, I walked up to US embassy and got income statement.

- The day after, I got 90 days retirement visa at Thai immigration/Bkk office.

- 60 days later, I got another income statement from US embassy and 1 year retirement extension/multiple reentry permit from Thai Immigration.

2. Any recommmendation on the best and most inexpensive way for sending a return envelope fo from the consulate. Are they just recommending air only pertaining to Fed Ex?

Thanks

USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. You can pay for the postage for both when you go to the post office and include the postage paid envelope that will be used to return your passport to you with your application to them. Just make sure they weigh the envelope and your passport to get the postage correct.

Also make you you record the delivery confirmation number for both envelopes so you can track them both when needed.

Edited by Jayman

I didn't really inquire about financial issues as I'm just going after the 90 day visa and will take care of the full retirement visa after landing in BKK.. She stated nothing about financial requirements for this visa.

Well, when I asked Mary about getting a Non Imm O for being retirement eligible, she answered: " I can issue the one-year multiple entry for you – just be sure to send the proof of income/pension."

Which only makes sense, since it's being issued for being retirement eligible. And thus some financial evidence would need to be supplied. Now, whether this is restricted to "income/pension," as she asked -- or whether a bank account with a certain amount in it also is acceptable -- I don't know. I never followed-through with the application, as this was just a drill to ascertain Non Imm O requirements at Portland, But, I'm sure you'll need to provide something to show your financial bonafides -- and that's why I'm curious about just what this might entail...... Also, maybe proof that you're over 50......(?). Best sort this out before sending in your application.

Do you need to have airfare purchased and reported on the application prior to submitting the application and would leaving the departure date blank (as I'm only looking at a one way ticket) raise any flags?

No. Just put in any departure date within 90 days of your application date. This is never checked by anybody -- but if longer than 90 days, they might return application since visa expiration would be before your indicated departure (single entry Non Imm). [Portland doesn't even require proof of airline ticket for Tourist visa -- for US citizen -- unlike many consulates these days.]

Not sure why anyone would want to get retirement visa from Thai consulate if it is so easy to have it done in Thailand.

My experience:

- 60 days later, I got another income statement from US embassy and 1 year retirement extension/multiple reentry permit from Thai Immigration.

The way I understand it, Is with a 90 day visa already in hand (issued in the US) I can then purchase a one way ticket vs having to purchase a RT with waiting until landing in BKK to secure the 90 day visa.

Thanks

USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation. You can pay for the postage for both when you go to the post office and include the postage paid envelope that will be used to return your passport to you with your application to them. Just make sure they weigh the envelope and your passport to get the postage correct.

Also make you you record the delivery confirmation number for both envelopes so you can track them both when needed.

Thanks Jayman

Yes, Priority Mail is cheaper than Express Mail. I'd use certified mail stickers with it also, for the tracking. You keep both stubs, with the tracking numbers. No need to weigh the envelopes. These are "flat rate" envelopes -- and as the commercial says, "If it fits, it ships."

So, one trip to the post office with your two Priority Mail envelopes already addressed. Buy the money order there too. (Find out from Mary who this should be made-out to.)

I didn't really inquire about financial issues as I'm just going after the 90 day visa and will take care of the full retirement visa after landing in BKK.. She stated nothing about financial requirements for this visa.

Well, when I asked Mary about getting a Non Imm O for being retirement eligible, she answered: " I can issue the one-year multiple entry for you – just be sure to send the proof of income/pension."

Which only makes sense, since it's being issued for being retirement eligible. And thus some financial evidence would need to be supplied. Now, whether this is restricted to "income/pension," as she asked -- or whether a bank account with a certain amount in it also is acceptable -- I don't know. I never followed-through with the application, as this was just a drill to ascertain Non Imm O requirements at Portland, But, I'm sure you'll need to provide something to show your financial bonafides -- and that's why I'm curious about just what this might entail...... Also, maybe proof that you're over 50......(?). Best sort this out before sending in your application.

Do you need to have airfare purchased and reported on the application prior to submitting the application and would leaving the departure date blank (as I'm only looking at a one way ticket) raise any flags?

No. Just put in any departure date within 90 days of your application date. This is never checked by anybody -- but if longer than 90 days, they might return application since visa expiration would be before your indicated departure (single entry Non Imm). [Portland doesn't even require proof of airline ticket for Tourist visa -- for US citizen -- unlike many consulates these days.]

One of he main reasons I want to get the full retirment visa in BKK is that (from what I'm told) you pretty much by pass the medical and police requirements (not that I have any issues, just easier) when geting it there.

Interesting about the proof of airline ticket. Would it be safe to say that even though I don't have an exact date (I'm looking at the 2nd half of April) I can just put in any date, even though it may vary a day or 2 as an arrival date without any problem.

Thanks

My experience:

Might agree, if I had to go through the added hassle (medical, police, notary) of a Non Imm O-A visa. But we're talking here about just the "O" visa, which can easily be obtained by mail. (But only from selected consulates, still in the minority.) Then, no need to get an exit ticket from Thailand, to avoid possible denied boarding.

One trip to the post office, receive return package, jump on the plane, get just one income statement from the US Embassy, then just one trip to Thai Immigration for the one-year retirement extension......

......vs. throwaway airline ticket, plus two trips to Immigration, and two trips to the US Embassy. I won't even mention the 2000 conversion fee, plus the extra, what is it, 3000 baht for an income statement? Cheap, compared to all the hassle of those double visits.