Convert Visa-Free Entry To Non-Imm O Visa

Interesting about the proof of airline ticket. Would it be safe to say that even though I don't have an exact date (I'm looking at the 2nd half of April) I can just put in any date, even though it may vary a day or 2 as an arrival date without any problem.

Nobody at Swampy is going to have a copy of your visa application, showing the date you indicated for departure. They only care if your visa is still valid. So, yes, stick in any date -- at least a couple of weeks after application date, and before 90 days after application date. Not sure why they even ask for this, unless they just want to assure you indicate a date within the visa validity period.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should appy for a single entry Non-O visa for retirement planning, since he is over 50. He can apply for this by express courrier and does not have to go to the Embassy or consulate. The Royal Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon has been very "friendly" in the past and have indicated recently that they will do this. He should contact them. Portland Non-O retirement.doc

In addition to his age, he must meet the financial requiremets. He can either show that his monthly income from outsuide of Thailand is at least 65000 baht/ month, or have 800000 baht deposited in a Thai Bank, in his name only, which has been there for at least 2 months before he applies for his 1 year extension - cost 1900 baht. He can also use a combination of both to meet the 800000 baht requirement. In that case the money in the bank does not have to be seasoned for 2 months.

If he uses the monthly income method he would have to get an "income affidavit" from the US Embassy in Bangkok or US Consulate in Chaing Mai. It is a sworn notarized statement and requires no proof of income - coast $50. He might require the proof to backup the letter at immigration.

If he uses the bank deposit method he would have to get a letter from the Thai bank along with a copy of his bankbook. If he is going to use this method he should coordinate the details of the transfer with his bank in the US before he comes to Thailand.

He can also get a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa and make border runs every 90 days. The visa is valid for a year and he could milk 15 months out of it. Thi route he only needs prove income and onward ticket.

Not sure why anyone would want to get retirement visa from Thai consulate if it is so easy to have it done in Thailand.

My experience:

- Obtained 30 days stamp on arrival.

- The following day, I walked up to US embassy and got income statement.

- The day after, I got 90 days retirement visa at Thai immigration/Bkk office.

- 60 days later, I got another income statement from US embassy and 1 year retirement extension/multiple reentry permit from Thai Immigration.

No sir, what you got was a single entry non-immigrant O visa valid for 90 days. After at least 60 of those 90 days had elapsed were you given the retirement extenstion of the Non-immigrant O visa.

Some embassies and genral consulats will only issue an O-A via if you apply for a visa based on retirement. Honorary consuls cannot issue an O-A visa and can only issue a non-O visa.

yes she told me she did not do retirement visas in New Orleans as they are honorary.

You must qualify for one year extension of stay to convert/obtain non immigrant entry. Being the father of a child may not qualify. Are you taking care of child and legal father? This is more than being on birth certificate. Have 400k in bank account?

You must qualify for one year extension of stay to convert/obtain non immigrant entry. Being the father of a child may not qualify. Are you taking care of child and legal father? This is more than being on birth certificate. Have 400k in bank account?

Yes my name is in the baby's birth cert and I am taking care of him (we all live together in Ubon) but me and the mother are not married. Id usually have a non imm O from UK but it recently expired and I've not been back to the UK to apply for a new one yet.

I can send over 400k here if needed.

Yes my name is in the baby's birth cert and I am taking care of him (we all live together in Ubon) but me and the mother are not married. Id usually have a non imm O from UK but it recently expired and I've not been back to the UK to apply for a new one yet.

I can send over 400k here if needed.

The 400k must be seasoned for a few months minimum. If you are not married to the mother when the child was born you are not the legal father (in the Thai legal system). It doesn't matter that your name is on the birth cert (she could have claimed any name as far as they are concerned). You will want to go to immigration to ask what they require for you but you might have to become the legal father of the child you are supporting which would require DNA tests and a petition to the thai courts.

I would start with immigration to see what they tell you.

edit: rather than the 400k in the bank you also have the option to show a min monthly income of 40k. If that is something you can do then no need to keep 400k in the thai banks.

Edited by Jayman

The requirement is 40k income or 400k in bank account - there is no requirement for it being there any amount of time for child extension of stay.

If child over age 7 procedure is not hard but below that age court action would be required taking several months in most cases.

Single entry non immigrant O visas should be available from Consulates in region and 60 day extensions of stay from immigration until conditions for one year are met.

• Like 1

The requirement is 40k income or 400k in bank account - there is no requirement for it being there any amount of time for child extension of stay.

If child over age 7 procedure is not hard but below that age court action would be required taking several months in most cases.

Single entry non immigrant O visas should be available from Consulates in region and 60 day extensions of stay from immigration until conditions for one year are met.

Is that right? For spouse support it must be seasoned 3 months but for child there is no seasoning requirement? The requirement form I have from Thai Immigration is specific to Spouse support and says 3 months. It's nice to know that if I switch from spouse to child support then I don't have to season the funds. Good to know if I ever need to go that route.

Thanks.

Edited by Jayman

Your information sheet is incorrect - the requirement for Thai wife is two months not three. Only retirement is three months (although when new rules were first started some immigration offices did ask three months) it was overturned by hqs and two months as written in the law (police order 777/2551) is what is required.

Not sure why anyone would want to get retirement visa from Thai consulate if it is so easy to have it done in Thailand.

My experience:

- Obtained 30 days stamp on arrival.

- The following day, I walked up to US embassy and got income statement.

- 60 days later, I got another income statement from US embassy and 1 year retirement extension/multiple reentry permit from Thai Immigration.

------------------------------------

Been some time since you got it then?

-

1. Obtained 30 days stamp on arrival.

Still possible, but having any visa avoids the "one way ticket" and/or "out of country ticket" hassle and even a single entry non O visa gives you 90 days to get a place to live, establish a bank account, etc.

-

2. The following day, I walked up to US embassy and got income statement.

No longer possible. Since September 2011 a appointment is required by the U.S. embessy. No more walk-ins.

In addition the fee for that income statement is now $50.

-

3. The day after, I got 90 days retirement visa at Thai immigration/Bkk office.

Still possible but if you use the income method. However, if you use the bank account method your funds need to be seasoned for 60 days before you can apply for the retirement extension (there is no retirement VISA but an extension of stay based on retirement....but that is often mistakenly called a retirement visa).

-

4. 60 days later, I got another income statement from US embassy and 1 year retirement extension/multiple reentry permit from Thai Immigration

Yes, still possible. However, now that income statement now costs another $50.

-----

I admit, however, that I recieved my original MULTI entry Non O visa back in 2010 when they were still available and it was good for one year. Therefore I spent 13 months living in Thailand on that visa (and doing border runs every 90 days) before I filed for my retirement extension. Getting that same multi entry non O visa is much more difficult now.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Your information sheet is incorrect - the requirement for Thai wife is two months not three. Only retirement is three months (although when new rules were first started some immigration offices did ask three months) it was overturned by hqs and two months as written in the law (police order 777/2551) is what is required.

Actually it says on the sheet that it's 3 months but only 2 months for the first year. It's written in multiple places on the form the immigration gave me. problem is, you try going into the Thai immigration and telling them they are giving the wrong info and see how fast they change it for you.

As a follow-up to the post by daxbr, be aware that the queues for the change of the thirty-day visa waiver to an initial ninety-day "O" single-entry visa and for the one-year retirement visa are different. I spent several hours today at Cheng Wattana in the "L" queue to obtain the retirment visa only to be told when I finally got to the agent at about 4:40 that I was in the wrong line and that I must go back tomorrow and wait in the "C1" queue. She did walk me over to the officer at the "C1" section who was able to look over my documents and tell me that I must bring in several bank statements to supplement the notarized declaration of monthly income that I received from the US embassy. I printed those out and and expect everything to go smoothly tomorrow. I will post further if there are any developments. In the meantime, anyone wanting to change the initial visa-less thirty day stay to the first ninety-day "O" single-entry visa, be sure to queue in the "C1" line!

Edited by ermooney

As a follow-up to the post by daxbr, be aware that the queues for the change of the thirty-day visa waiver to an initial ninety-day "O" single-entry visa and for the one-year retirement visa are different. I spent several hours today at Cheng Wattana in the "L" queue to obtain the retirment visa only to be told when I finally got to the agent at about 4:40 that I was in the wrong line and that I must go back tomorrow and wait in the "C1" queue. She did walk me over to the officer at the "C1" section who was able to look over my documents and tell me that I must bring in several bank statements to supplement the notarized declaration of monthly income that I received from the US embassy. I printed those out and and expect everything to go smoothly tomorrow. I will post further if there are any developments. In the meantime, anyone wanting to change the initial visa-less thirty day stay to the first ninety-day "O" single-entry visa, be sure to queue in the "C1" line!

Which immigration office?

Update to change of visa-less 30 day entry to 90 day non-Immigrant "O" visa: After waiting in the "C1" queue for about an hour and a half today, my documents were accepted and I paid my 2,000 baht. I must go back on Feb. 28th for the decision on my application but expect that I will be given the visa since the officer seemed to approve my application and documents. I sure hope that I get it since I will have to do a quick border run in order to stay an extra eleven days until my flight out on March 17th if I don't. An in-country ten day extension would leave me a day short. I'm planning to get a single re-entry stamp before I leave but may not actually be able to get enough time off from work in Tokyo to return to Thailand before the ninety-day period expires. At least I know the drill if I must apply for another "O" visa from in-country. I hope that there is no limit to the number of "O" visas that they will grant! Does anybody know if there is a limit to the number of "O" visas that you can get?

Edited by ermooney

1. There is no such thing as a 10 day extension - 7 days for packout is the most you can get if not an authorized reason for extension.

2. Conversion is just that - for conversion. You can not obtain another 90 day visa entry from immigration (unless from a new entry/application) - this is designed to be a start of one year retirement extensions of stay (which are not visas if that may be what you are thinking). You can continue to obtain new one year extensions of stay without leaving.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, lopburi3. I was misinformed about the possibility of a ten-day extension. From what you say, if I am not able to return to Thailand in time to extend my 90-day "O" visa, I assume that it will expire but that I will be able to submit a new application and obtain a new non-immigrant "O" visa, either from the Thai Embassy in Tokyo or by applying for a new conversion from a thirty-day entry stamp the next time I enter the country. My university in Tokyo has asked me to come back in April for one last year but I am hanging it up for good on April 1, 2013 after which I hope to spend a lot of time in Thailand. I hope that Thai immigration does not take a dim view of repeated requests for non-immigrant "O" visas for retirement.

I noticed that the OP, daxbr, reported getting a one-year extension just days after getting his non-immigrant "O" visa back in 2008. His recent post must refer to a more recent experience since he mentions getting a one-year retirement extension sixty days after getting his ninety-day "O" visa. I would appear that he has done the "O" visa and retirement extension more than once! I will try to clarify the issue when I visit Cheng Wattana on Feb. 28, but I wonder how it is possible to have 800,000 baht mature in a bank account for three months before applying for the retirement extension? Should I get the money deposited pronto in order to make the deadline?

First application for retirement extension of stay only requires 60 days in bank account. Three months is required to extend each time after that if continuing from same entry visa.

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months

at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant

should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60

days or

• 2 weeks later...

I have a visa exempt 30 day entry stamp, no onward ticket, I'm way past 50yo.

Today I went to Jontiem Immigration and asked for a 90 day non imm O visa with a view to retirement.

Both the girl at the 'reception' desk and the falang adviser said that they could only issue it together with the 12 month extension. That is you complete forms TM87 and TM7 together. They said I should go to Kbank on beach road where they have an arrangement. After opening a bank ac and depositing the 800k and getting a note from the bank manager that says that the money is there I should go back with passport copy and letter headed rent receipt. No min seasoning time for deposit, no mention of min days for application before entry stamp expires.

Yesterday I went to immigration at Chaengwattana to change my visa exemption status to a non-immigrant O. First, because I was on my last day of the 30 days, I neeeded an extension. They gave me 60 day extension for 1900 baht. Then I went over to C1 and gave my application for the "O" based on marriage to a Thai. I provided all the necessary paperwork, a couple of photos of my wife and kids in front of our house, an an income verification from the US Embassy.

The officer informed me that had I brought a bank book in showing 400K or 40K a month instead of the income verification from the Embassy, I would have received the 1 year extension and not a 90 day extension. Now I need to go back to immigration in two weeks to find out the result of my change of visa - which I'm assuming will be no problem - and then after 60 days apply for the 1 year extension. What struck me as strange was that he said I needed the 400k/40k to get the one year immediately however if I got my 90 days and then applied for the 1 year extension, the income verification from the embassy would suffice. It seems to me that immigration ought to make their rules and regulations uniform but then that would be too easy and after all, This is Thailand!

I believe there was a misunderstanding as you can never immediately receive a one year extension of stay for Thai wife extension. It always involves an under review period. Suspect they were saying that the non immigrant 90 day entry would have been accepted without first obtaining the 60 day extension of stay (and if you had applied with 15 days or more remaining on permitted to stay it would also have been unneeded). But it does indicate they would accept bank proof on sight and that Embassy letter requires verification (perhaps of signature) taking extra time? Interesting.

I believe there was a misunderstanding as you can never immediately receive a one year extension of stay for Thai wife extension. It always involves an under review period. Suspect they were saying that the non immigrant 90 day entry would have been accepted without first obtaining the 60 day extension of stay (and if you had applied with 15 days or more remaining on permitted to stay it would also have been unneeded). But it does indicate they would accept bank proof on sight and that Embassy letter requires verification (perhaps of signature) taking extra time? Interesting.

First I got the extension. There was a miserable trainee working there and when I asked about the "O" she just said, I don't know, I don't know anything other than extensions, you go to C1." She was one of those "non-smiling Thais."

Then I went to C1 and when I asked why the income verification wasn't acceptable, "Anyone can put anything on this form," he said. Well, I know this but then why does HIS IMMIGRATION department state that it's allowable?!

I can easily provide a bank statement that shows I make enough money but not seasoned. I've got two kids who are in international school, a wife I've been married to for nearly 11 years and have had a marriage visa and non-M in the past. You would think that with the kids in school and the length of time I've been here they would be a little more reasonable but it just seems like they want farang to fly by and drop the bags of cash but not set foot on their land. A bit frustrating at times, for sure, and I may well one day get out of here but for now I will bite my tongue and just say, "Khup, khup." After we got home my wife asked why they were so rude to me and so polite to her. "Why do they have to be like that to you?" were her exact words. If I had the financial means and didn't have two young kids, I would be gone. Where I'm not sure, but it seems that the attitude towards foreigners gets worse and worse.

Edited by consigliere
  • Like 1

Personally I would much rather show a copy of my bank book that has deposits into Thailand for more than 40k a month over going to BKK and paying my Embassy $50 to issue a letter. It has not been made clear to me that this would be acceptable at Jomtien immigration. I go back in another week or so to get my 11 month stamp and I will be sure to take my updated bank book with me so I can ask them if I can use that instead of the letter for next years extension.

I also agree, it would be nice if they made things more clear and uniform for us so we could just have 1 set of regs to follow. I do understand that TIT and they sometimes make it up as they go along. Also, even if they are wrong they don't like to admit it so rules get changed (informally) just cause they can't remember or don't understand the written rules. I think we call this "interpretation".

EDIT: How many months of bank deposits (income) do they need to see I wonder? I'm guessing just bring in your original most recent and updated bank book as well as a copy of all the pages in it? Does anyone have experience with using this method over the letter or the seasoned deposits?

Edited by Jayman