Is Villa Mart Going Downhill?

Valentine

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visited last night. Originally begged to go in just to buy a lemon while son & fiancee waited in the car. After not finding Jatz biscuits but a good substitute; finding most of the shelves ful; no aisle signs at all, but easy at a glance to see what was there; finding a grater (beautiful Thai design - I'm getting another to take home @ 385 THB I got the sticker off FAST); just wandering over to find if there was any of that outrageously delicious French cheese that was there last time & I was waylaid by the fiancee who deftly rounded me up and I only managed to grab another 4 things before I was elided through the checkout. Mmmm. She's always scandalized by the prices. $1,500 THB, but we now have French Brie; Roquefort; 0% fat milk; yoghurt without sugar...Yum

Yes, I realise that it's not logical, but I don't care.

She's a fabulous cook, making 2 dishes per meal twice a day. Plus the 'over the fence' restaurant she and a friend have set up so I can taste even more. I'm a very happy camper, just crave Westeren foods. We can't get lovely French cheeses in woop woop where I live. There, anchovies and olives are optional on pizzas & they've had Italians living in the area for over 150 years.

My vote is that Villa is back to normal. Or what I've seen of it.

<snip>My vote is that Villa is back to normal. Or what I've seen of it.

Yes, I was in the store yesterday and the reorganisation has just about settled down. I see that the top (corner) door is inbound only hence the check-outs all at the bottom end. That's not such a bad idea. Leaves more space for whatever is being built at the old Sacs area. I actually prefer Sacs outside booth. Much easier to buy bakery items and I'm sure they are busier in that location.

that have just removed all the registers from the parking lot end and only have 3 registers (1 working) at the home pro end

I think there are 4 registers. Only 2 attended this morning. Much the same as before as only 2 check-outs were open before, at the top end. Same problem at all places like lotus & big c. Only Makro keep neatly all registers open.

Yo, noty so super! Firstly it is Villa Market no Mart. Which is part of a long estblished chain in Thailand... If you really go there you would know the name! It's printed on the bag!

Thank you, wondered if it was the same chain..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Visited last night. Originally begged to go in just to buy a lemon while son & fiancee waited in the car. After not finding Jatz biscuits but a good substitute; finding most of the shelves ful; no aisle signs at all, but easy at a glance to see what was there; finding a grater (beautiful Thai design - I'm getting another to take home @ 385 THB I got the sticker off FAST); just wandering over to find if there was any of that outrageously delicious French cheese that was there last time & I was waylaid by the fiancee who deftly rounded me up and I only managed to grab another 4 things before I was elided through the checkout. Mmmm. She's always scandalized by the prices. $1,500 THB, but we now have French Brie; Roquefort; 0% fat milk; yoghurt without sugar...Yum

Yes, I realise that it's not logical, but I don't care.

She's a fabulous cook, making 2 dishes per meal twice a day. Plus the 'over the fence' restaurant she and a friend have set up so I can taste even more. I'm a very happy camper, just crave Westeren foods. We can't get lovely French cheeses in woop woop where I live. There, anchovies and olives are optional on pizzas & they've had Italians living in the area for over 150 years.

My vote is that Villa is back to normal. Or what I've seen of it.

I wish they'd start carrying Cracker Barrel New York aged reserve again, I miss that cheese!! Good to see they finally opened a location down there I suggested to the owner several years ago in a promotional meeting that that would be a top market for them to sell in along with several other locations they've now expanded to. Where is the location?

Edited by WarpSpeed

I wish they'd start carrying Cracker Barrel New York aged reserve again, I miss that cheese!! Good to see they finally opened a location down there I suggested to the owner several years ago in a promotional meeting that that would be a top market for them to sell in along with several other locations they've now expanded to. Where is the location?

Chalong.

Chalong.

To be exact about 50m north of Chalong Circle, at Home Pro Village.

Yep! I get there every chance I get. Had to convince son's fiancee that the lemon I bought, having cut it into 6 slices, was likely to last me nearly a week.

The French Brie is gone. Son found it & the crackers.

Sigh! I'll just have to pop in sometime when the beautiful, charming, smart reincarnation of a Border Collie isn't around...

I seem to remember reading in the newspapers that the founder of the Villa Market died recently??

Wonder if that has anything too do with its alledged decline??

Khun Pong the founder of Villa is still alive!!

Absolutely. He's a delightful guy - a real pioneer and one of the most enthusiastic people I've ever met. I talked with him a couple of weeks ago. Very much kickin' and rarin' to go. I hope we can do something with him soon.

there is one very good thing about villa (besides the food); that cute little checkout girl with the takatean chunlada haircut. very sweet and today, quite friendly

i agree with the other poster about the cracker barrel cheese, why did they stop that! best tasting inexpensve cheese i've see around these parts

• Like 1

Everyone seems to know the owner. Why is everyone afraid to mention to him about the surly staff and filth at his establishment?

Well from my point of view I've never encountered that, so no reason to mention it. Maybe it's my demeanor that doesn't inspire it from the employees but who knows?

I seem to remember reading in the newspapers that the founder of the Villa Market died recently??

Wonder if that has anything too do with its alledged decline??

Khun Pong the founder of Villa is still alive!!

Absolutely. He's a delightful guy - a real pioneer and one of the most enthusiastic people I've ever met. I talked with him a couple of weeks ago. Very much kickin' and rarin' to go. I hope we can do something with him soon.

Yep, from my missus home island in China..

It opened almost three years ago, as said, in the Home Pro Center, Chalong. Items come and go. They had Famous Amos Cookies for a while, then they didn't. Same with many items, it's a hit, then a miss... I pick up at few items there that I can't find elsewhere, when they are in stock, but their supply chain seems very unreliable and many items are at a large mark up over some other local suppliers...

Chalong.

To be exact about 50m north of Chalong Circle, at Home Pro Village.

Regards, check it out next time I'm down..

Edited by WarpSpeed