Is Villa Mart Going Downhill?

Valentine

I hardly ever go into the place but yesterday it was hard to find prices of many products on the shelves which do not appear so well endowed nowadays (blame it on the floods I suppose). From what I understand the 3rd party vendors find it very difficult & expensive to operate inside. SACS has moved outside because of this. The liquor section seems pretty dark & dingy & the people selling sliced ham next to it have disappeared to be replaced by some ugly freezers. Not sure how well the other outlets throughout the kingdom are run but this one seems to be not well managed at all. Perhaps they feel they have a captive market & do not care.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been like that off and on for the last few months...looks a bit mess in the inside, but every time i have been in there, it's been busy with expats...i think it's hit and miss with the shipments they are getting, etc. it may be expensive, but i sure hope it doesn't go downhill as i like to be able to buy a "few comforts of home" every now and again.

i have noticed it has been going that way for a while now.Couple weeks ago one checkout open massive queue while staff sauntered about and had a chat.

Anyone know where I can buy natural yogurt ,as thats the only thing I ever buy there anymore.

Mind you have you seen the state of Tesco Chalong lately.Boxes stacked in the ailse everywhere can not even get the shelves.

Have thyey never heard of stocking the shelve when the shop is closed.

Obviously not.

The place is looking quite a mess with all sorts of changes. Having no check-outs at the top end is nonsense. They did not even increase check-outs or staff levels at the other end. Price information has always been hit or miss. I use the bar code scanner at the fridge area.

Last Sunday they were moving everything across the isles. Looks like they need a few days to sort things out, pricing etc., so let's see how things look like in a week or so.

its been a mess since sandwichshope and thaigerd moved out

what used to be a great selection of exotic beef at almost acceptabel prices, is now OZ Wauygu at 5000 baht/kg. dream on

I only get the hard to get stuff there, no volume purchases

i have noticed it has been going that way for a while now.Couple weeks ago one checkout open massive queue while staff sauntered about and had a chat.

Anyone know where I can buy natural yogurt ,as thats the only thing I ever buy there anymore.

Mind you have you seen the state of Tesco Chalong lately.Boxes stacked in the ailse everywhere can not even get the shelves.

Obviously not.

Starkey it is beyond simple to make your own natural sugar free yoghurt and then all you have to do to make greek yoghurt is let the water drain off it overnight. I bought a yoghurt maker at Verasu across and kitty cornered to Central. PM me if you have questions but overall it is extremely easy and cheap and then you have the real deal...

It's always been poorly managed. Staff are always too busy talking to each other to actually get work done it seems. Everything is bar coded and computerized, so I don't understand why they are out of stock on items constantly. Their prices are way higher for the same item from Tesco or Phrompan. I only buy a few items there that I can't find anywhere else and then do most of my shopping elsewhere.

Obviously not.

Starkey it is beyond simple to make your own natural sugar free yoghurt and then all you have to do to make greek yoghurt is let the water drain off it overnight. I bought a yoghurt maker at Verasu across and kitty cornered to Central. PM me if you have questions but overall it is extremely easy and cheap and then you have the real deal...

Hi Bunta

Cheers.

I already make my own about 5 liters a week as i use it in my curries but sometimes I find I need to use it all and don't have enough left to restart the process.So have to buy some more but Villa M is the only place I have found that sells it.

You don't really need a fancy yogurt maker in this climate just a polystyrene box and a couple of plastic containers

Obviously not.

Hi Bunta

Cheers.

I already make my own about 5 liters a week as i use it in my curries but sometimes I find I need to use it all and don't have enough left to restart the process.So have to buy some more but Villa M is the only place I have found that sells it.

You don't really need a fancy yogurt maker in this climate just a polystyrene box and a couple of plastic containers

A bit off topic but I seem to recall my mum making yoghurt just by adding milk to existing yoghurt. I am sure natural yoghurt is available at the other supermarkets.

A bit off topic but I seem to recall my mum making yoghurt just by adding milk to existing yoghurt. I am sure natural yoghurt is available at the other supermarkets.

Sometimes we go off topic a little yet it is all Thai related as this is where we live and these tidbits can and do make our lives here a little better. Like you Starkey, I get my starter yoghurt at villa . Something I have been wanting to do but lazy, is to order starter from America and just have it always on hand. The yoghurt maker at Verasu we use has been customized by me to do several liters at a time. The controled heat is a factor I like and just turning it on before bed is good for the lazy like me. And yes yoghurt is made by adding it to milk and heating it,Valentine. Yet even farther off topic , during my years in Alaske I used a sourdough started for bread that was over 75 years old. Now about that Villa Market.....

Villa Market is expensive. But that's presumably 'cos most of their stuff is either imported or 'top range'. i.e. the meat section has many signs saying that they are not 'battery' produced or the animals pumped full of hormones etc.. Personally, I find that a good reason to to pay the extra few baht.

Their shelves have been pretty empty recently but, like a previous poster, I had put this down to the floods in Bangkok.

Their staff aren't as wonderful as they used to be, but are still far better than the local Tesco.....

• Like 1

Villa Market is expensive. But that's presumably 'cos most of their stuff is either imported or 'top range'. i.e. the meat section has many signs saying that they are not 'battery' produced or the animals pumped full of hormones etc.. Personally, I find that a good reason to to pay the extra few baht.

Their shelves have been pretty empty recently but, like a previous poster, I had put this down to the floods in Bangkok.

Their staff aren't as wonderful as they used to be, but are still far better than the local Tesco.....

You just wrote the best response in this entire thread. Agree with you 100%

I have been going to Villa Market in Thailand for years including here on Phuket. For years it has been the only decent supermarket on the island no one, except for Deli in Patong is even close an Deli is way too small to compete. I am going to Villa Market in the next few days and then I will let you all know if it is stll worth shopping there.

I would personally take that signage with a grain of salt especially since the story about the rancid chicken.

I popped in to see the progress and fround it delightful. I had tgo pick up a cake and some chocolates and the new FANTASTIC bakery. They are a few days from completing a reset with all the cashier back by the boozeria! I find most of the staff to be nice. A couple of my regular cashiers said people a just burnt out on high season and all the Rude Ruskies. Hey, big C in Juk-C is doing better to compete which ios good news. I kinda like going there as a head to Nakitas for a visit, post mauling.