Is Villa Mart Going Downhill?

Valentine

I was at Villa Market a couple of days ago and it’s really no different than Tops at Central and Robinson this days. (Tesco on bypass seems more in system now) I was looking for my red Decafe which it has been plenty of at all the centers for the last 6 months but is now not to get anywhere and how can the shelves be empty for imported coffee from Switzerland / Germany due to flooding in Bangkok "last year” Nope I believe this is management and staff problems, Staff jumping from job to job in the high season for a few Baht more. Where my wife work they have had the same problem for months, new staff in low paid positions every week.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been here only a year or so and had found villa market great place to shop for quality food and western food. But I went there yesterday for the first time in a few months. HORRIBLE. Lots of the empty shelves, many things I was used to getting there were not stocked at all. In the chilled foods section where they keep some premade heat up dishes, e.g. lasagne, there was a lasagne that was clearly moldy, blue rings of mold all over the top...disgusting. I won't be back.

<snip>Their staff aren't as wonderful as they used to be, but are still far better than the local Tesco.....

I'm just back from Villa and it's really becoming obvious that the staff are all disinterested in serving customers. Something going on there ... ??

Went there this morning and a couple of days ago:

Many items missing, no prices for many products, no more Manager, some products not the same quality anymore(pork section), only 3 cashiers left on the left side.etc etc.

I went to their website: Last updated 2007....

<snip>Their staff aren't as wonderful as they used to be, but are still far better than the local Tesco.....

I'm just back from Villa and it's really becoming obvious that the staff are all disinterested in serving customers. Something going on there ... ??

Went there this morning and a couple of days ago:

Many items missing, no prices for many products, no more Manager, some products not the same quality anymore(pork section), only 3 cashiers left on the left side.etc etc.

I went to their website: Last updated 2007....

Tops still suffer from empty shelves, Big C has suffered from empty shelves since they spendt all their cash on buying Carrefour TH, it is indeed room for a higher end grocery store chain in TH

but bigc has tons of cheap priced quality imported stuff.. at least the small one on the airport road in phuket town.

80bath pate, bunch of cold meat/cheeses for pennies.

agreed, Big C and Big C Extra has a very good selection of cold cuts, and seem to carry the full range of TGM (Thai German Meat), which is a Th company supervised by a German

Big C Extra in Jungceylon also has a good bakery

still many shelves half empty, high or low season, bad busienss case to rent all those sqm and only have funds to stock half of them

Villa Market Going Up hill

I just came back from a few days with Tilac of Rawai and we noted that both Villa and Rawai Lotus are checking packages/receipts for exit customers.

Good deal as I hate to pay for thieves and their fould play. I stopped a gent at Villa whom was wearing a nice uniform tie and suing a notebook for record info. Asked about the change in registers and the reset. Over due the man says adding that Villa was unsing a security model set by a western company. (Iguess too myuch shop liftng)

i have noticed it has been going that way for a while now.Couple weeks ago one checkout open massive queue while staff sauntered about and had a chat.

Anyone know where I can buy natural yogurt ,as thats the only thing I ever buy there anymore.

Mind you have you seen the state of Tesco Chalong lately.Boxes stacked in the ailse everywhere can not even get the shelves.

Have thyey never heard of stocking the shelve when the shop is closed.

Obviously not.

Oh how I agree with you about Tesco. It really annoys me when I'm trying to get down the isle only to find boxes blocking the way. The staff will not budge or remove boxes to let you pass. Have they ever heard of customer care???? I think not! They look at you as if you just arrived from another planet if you ask them to move to let you pass when they are stocking shelves. I have often thought of writing to Tesco Uk but I'm sure I would be wasting my time!
  • Like 1

Oh how I agree with you about Tesco. It really annoys me when I'm trying to get down the isle only to find boxes blocking the way. The staff will not budge or remove boxes to let you pass. Have they ever heard of customer care???? I think not! They look at you as if you just arrived from another planet if you ask them to move to let you pass when they are stocking shelves. I have often thought of writing to Tesco Uk but I'm sure I would be wasting my time!

Simple answer..TIT. or TIP.[This is Phuket]

Edited by LivinginKata
reformatted text

In my opinion, the decline of Villa in Phuket (if real and not the result of the floods) is the result of a miscalculation, similar to that made by a number of investors who believe that Phuket can be marketed into a "boutique" global resort destination.

That might have been possible before the Tsunami, before the global recession, before the Yellow-Red civil war, etc. But I don't think it is a viable long-term business strategy.

Witness the Premium Outlet shopping mall on By-pass road. Have any of you been there lately, say, on a weekend? How hard is it to park? How many shoppers are there versus "lookers"? Compare that with Robinson's in Phuket town.

The same could be said of RPM and a host of other luxury businesses created in the belief that Phuket would become a millionaire's haven.

Many of these locations seem deserted or disinterested.

The best approach for Phuket (IMHO) is an integrated mixture of high-end and middle-income residence and shops. It would be a mistake to target only the high-income class at the exclusion of the more cost-conscious locals and ex-pats who seek value for money.

TN

With respect to Villa Market, I believe it's current situation is due to a lowering of management standards rather than a miscalculation of status. It's strength was in the supply of external (country) sourced favourites, and good quality local produce. Sure, if you really wanted to spend a small fortune on imported tomatoes and strawberries, they were only too happy to take your money. There must be internal issues, and hence the relocation of some of the in-store outlets (Sac's bakery as an example), though others such as the confectionary of Les Anges continues.

I think the only miscalculation of RPM has been the actual occupancy rates of the condominiums (although I believe that they are all sold), as they're treated as holiday homes rather than full time residences. This is reflected in the poor patronage of the floor level restaurants and businesses.

The biggest problem with Premium outlet is that it's open (and hot) aired, and there's not the diversity of shops to attract customers in bulk. The fact that their products aren't sufficiently discounted (if at all) from what is available at regular stores is another factor.

Central Festival, love it or hate it, is an example of good consumer facilities (parking excepted), with a well rounded range of shops and restaurants, plus leisure facilities thrown in. The former Tops supermarket in there is also good quality.

In my opinion, the decline of Villa in Phuket (if real and not the result of the floods) is the result of a miscalculation, similar to that made by a number of investors who believe that Phuket can be marketed into a "boutique" global resort destination.

That might have been possible before the Tsunami, before the global recession, before the Yellow-Red civil war, etc. But I don't think it is a viable long-term business strategy.

You're implying that the fault lies with their business model.

This can't be true as Villa was a roaring success since it opened.

Only now, are people discussing how it has gone down-hill.

This must be because of a management, or, supply issue.

Witness the Premium Outlet shopping mall on By-pass road. Have any of you been there lately, say, on a weekend? How hard is it to park? How many shoppers are there versus "lookers"? Compare that with Robinson's in Phuket town.

The same could be said of RPM and a host of other luxury businesses created in the belief that Phuket would become a millionaire's haven.

Many of these locations seem deserted or disinterested.

The best approach for Phuket (IMHO) is an integrated mixture of high-end and middle-income residence and shops. It would be a mistake to target only the high-income class at the exclusion of the more cost-conscious locals and ex-pats who seek value for money.

TN

Very good honest opimion and i agree 100% with you..clap2.gif

TaoNow - "The best approach for Phuket (IMHO) is an integrated mixture of high-end and middle-income residence and shops. It would be a mistake to target only the high-income class at the exclusion of the more cost-conscious locals and ex-pats who seek value for money."

But we are not discussing "residence and shops", only Villa Market. There are MANY "middle-income residence and shops" if you look.

Villa Market is different and it would be a shame if it closes (or is genuinely going down-hill) as it provides Western products that are hard to find (locally) elsewhere.

Yes, TOPS in Central is great - but I for one (living in Rawai) really prefer to just travel a few km rather than face all the traffic to go to Central.

Fair enough F1. Villa is the topic. But if you notice where they started in Bangkok, they located their stores in the places with the highest-income residents -- (Suk 33, Suk 49, ISB, Sports City, etc.)

They clearly target the $6-figure-and-up class. So those folks would have no problem suffering the "traffic" from Rawai in their luxury vehicles.

But, IMHO, there are not enough of those high-rolling residents in Phuket to sustain a luxury outlet such as Villa. And that is my point.

ALL businesses in Phuket need a new model for profitability which accomodates the middle-income locals and ex-pats.

Otherwise, it will just be deserted, understocked stores with indifferent service staff.

And who wants that?

<snip>

They clearly target the $6-figure-and-up class. So those folks would have no problem suffering the "traffic" from Rawai in their luxury vehicles.

But, IMHO, there are not enough of those high-rolling residents in Phuket to sustain a luxury outlet such as Villa. And that is my point.

And who wants that?

I'm thinking that Villa did get the location correct. They are not targeting the short term tourist market like Patong, they are targeting the medium/long term resident market and many of these folks live in the Chalaog, Rawai, Nai Harn, and Kata areas. It's nothing to do with 'high rolling' residents, it's all about supplying these hard to find items, and then hope that we just make our normal grocery shopping while we are in the store.

• Like 2

You may be right LIK. But they probably made their business commitment before October 2008.

A safer approach might have been to open a smaller outlet in Cherng Talay (the most affluent neighborhood in Phuket?) to test the waters.

And then expand if the market seemed to be there.

Otherwise, the result is that everyone loses if you aim too high.

I just don't see much evidence of careful market research in Phuket judging by the glut of failed luxury properties.

Just greed.

<snip>

And who wants that?

I'm thinking that Villa did get the location correct. They are not targeting the short term tourist market like Patong, they are targeting the medium/long term resident market and many of these folks live in the Chalaog, Rawai, Nai Harn, and Kata areas. It's nothing to do with 'high rolling' residents, it's all about supplying these hard to find items, and then hope that we just make our normal grocery shopping while we are in the store.

agreed

as the high end markets in Phuket are divided in 2, above mentioned and Kamala/marinas area, I find Villas business case od to not try to reach the other part of the province with 2 stores.

If the shelves in Villa had been stocked and prices on every day items had been similar to the others, I wouldnt bother to go to town. I wold get hard to find items and every day items in same shop.

but presently they are mismanaging the ones store they are doing in Phuket

You may be right LIK. But they probably made their business commitment before October 2008.

A safer approach might have been to open a smaller outlet in Cherng Talay (the most affluent neighborhood in Phuket?) to test the waters.

And then expand if the market seemed to be there.

Otherwise, the result is that everyone loses if you aim too high.

I just don't see much evidence of careful market research in Phuket judging by the glut of failed luxury properties.

Just greed.

I seem to remember many of us 'locals' were delighted that Villa Market were opening an outlet in Phuket. I really doubt that Cherng Talay would have the volume to support a remote post for Villa. All the retailers (Tesco/Makro/Big C) are having supply difficulties. I am giving the Villa the excuse that the supplies chain is all screwed up in all Thailand because of the flooding problems.

Cherng Talay and the Laguna area in general doesn't seem to have any form of community 'heart', with a significant number of residential properties being purchased for holiday use only. That contrasts with the south of the island which has well defined permanent communities, and a broad spectrum of shops, restaurants, and all of the other facilities to support the resident expat.

With Villa Market, and like most of the other expats that I know who use it, we are looking for specific products for home produced food, be it quality beef, creme fraiche or your favourite breakfast cereal, western imports rather than the Tesco/Big C Asian orientated shelf stocking. There are many markets in the south for getting good quality fruit and veg, and if you want really fresh seafood, plus the freshest fruit and vegetables, get yourself to the main market near Robinson's in Phuket Town around 7.30 in the morning.

TaoNow doesn't seem to realise that Villa Market has been an unequivocal success story from the time it opened, until just a few months ago.

Anybody that goes regularly must know that they got their business model correct.

TaoNow, if you keep be-labouring this point, you're going to look uninformed and slightly foolish.

Edited by KarenBravo

TaoNow, i agreed with your original post,but your getting to deep now, LIK is also right,Villamart was a sucses and most of the things they got right,nobody knows the real answer to the problem,but they.....have gone down hill...

All right fellas...I'll lay off Villa. The larger point I was trying to make was the flaw of "boutique-ing" Phuket, which I think is hurting the island in a number of sectors.

I'd be delighted if Villa survives and thrives with local resident support. But I think we should visit this topic six months from now and see how busy the aisles are.

After all, the low season shouldn't affect sales, right?

All right fellas...I'll lay off Villa. The larger point I was trying to make was the flaw of "boutique-ing" Phuket, which I think is hurting the island in a number of sectors.

I'd be delighted if Villa survives and thrives with local resident support. But I think we should visit this topic six months from now and see how busy the aisles are.

After all, the low season shouldn't affect sales, right?

Some part of their sales now are due to Russians who have holiday homes in the area. The ones I know generally only come to Phuket twice a year.