Thailand Remains World's Largest Rice Exporter

webfact

Thailand remains the largest rice exporter of the world

BANGKOK, 1 February 2012 (NNT)-The Rice Department reveals Thailand exports the largest amount of rice in the world and produces 20 million tons of rice a year, with half of that amount for domestic consumption alone.

As the Rice Department is responsible for rice production and quality, it continuously provides knowledge on planting techniques to rice farmers, improves rice species and grains, prevents damage from pests and diseases, as well as finds new technology to boost rice production.

With the growing popularity of Japanese food, the Department is now trying to improve the quality of the strain ‘Kor Khor 45’, which is similar to Japanese rice with short and rounder grains, to cater to Japanese eateries in Thailand.

Thailand is able to produce up to 20 million tons of rice annually thanks to the work of 16 million farmers and the cultivating areas of 60 million rai nationwide. Around half of rice produced each year is exported overseas while the remainder is distributed in the domestic market.

The Kingdom has been the biggest rice exporter for 30 years. Although Vietnam is now a major rival and the second largest exporter, according to the Rice Department, the quality of Thai rice remains superior especially the jasmine rice, which has beautiful fragrance when cooked. It is also popular among rice consumers around the world.

Meanwhile, the Department said even though the government’s rice pledging scheme would cause the prices of rice to increase, the demands for rice would not decline given its quality. Farmers would also be able to sell their paddy to the government under the program at higher prices.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-01 footer_n.gif

She said Thailand aimed to reduce its dependence on the United States and Europe as export destinations, in favour of emerging markets such as the Middle East, India and the rest of Southeast Asia.

The above is a comment made by the PM earlier today. To an almost empty room.

Thailand remains the Worlds largest Rice Exporter.

Not for long it would seem.

jb1

BreakingNews

Rice trade to fall 5 per cent in 2012, UN agency predicts

February 1, 2012 1:56 pm

The global rice trade is expected to decline 5 per cent year-on-year in 2012 due to falling demand, the United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said Wednesday.

Last year's rice exports reached a record 34.5 million tonnes but are expected to drop to 32.8 million tonnes in 2012, according to FAO estimates.

"Among the countries expected to import less rice in 2012 are Bangladesh, Indonesia, Nepal, Nigeria and the Philippines," the FAO said. Production is up in those countries, reducing the demand for imports.

Thailand, the world's leading rice exporter for five decades, shipped 10.5 million tonnes last year, but the kingdom will ship less in 2012 due to a government price-guarantee scheme that makes its export prices uncompetitive, the FAO predicted.

The policy has already reduced rice shipments by 50 per cent year-on-year since November, according to the Thai Rice Exporters Association.

"Basically the government has jacked up the rice price to the equivalent of 800 dollars free-on-board basis, while the highest world price is 500 dollars," said Vichai Sriprasert, an honorary president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association.//DPA

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-01

Getting ready to lose the crown to Vietnam this year.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=26534

From the article, it seems the rice pledging scheme is not going well. Would be interesting to see who pocketed the millions from such a bad idea.

Exporters association president Korbsook Iamsuri said yesterday there is a strong possibility that Thailand will lose its No 1 ranking because the pledging policy was making Thai rice uncompetitive,

"Thai prices are too high compared with those of our rivals. The government's inflexibility in terms of adjusting the pledging project in accordance with the changing trading environment after India announced a return to exports has caused difficulties for Thai rice exports," she said.

The government will lose several billion baht through the price-subsidy programme, Korbsook said, adding that it will create a domino effect as farmers grow rice they cannot sell.

The Thai rice price has nearly doubled and they are expecting to move the same quantity? Um.. who is going to buy this rice? Importing countries aren't completely stupid. They will definitely balk at the inflated prices. The whole quality argument is nonsense when the people bargain hunting are are middle men looking to resell it to consumers who couldn't give a dam_n. I've never seen anyone differentiate Thai rice from other SE Asian rice. Actually the only people i've heard singing the praises of Thai rice are..Thai people who are in agricultural business.

The Thai rice price has nearly doubled and they are expecting to move the same quantity? Um.. who is going to buy this rice? Importing countries aren't completely stupid. They will definitely balk at the inflated prices. The whole quality argument is nonsense when the people bargain hunting are are middle men looking to resell it to consumers who couldn't give a dam_n. I've never seen anyone differentiate Thai rice from other SE Asian rice. Actually the only people i've heard singing the praises of Thai rice are..Thai people who are in agricultural business.

Despite the surface regional commodities competition.....a few are becoming wealthy.

It sure ain't the hard-working farmers, whom find themselves amongst serfdom and suppression under the respective Rice Mafias.

One of the reasons I came to Thailand is that I am addicted to Rice Pudding and so far have been unable to get any supplies! I dont think this news is going to help, clearly they dont have the technology!drunk.gif

I saw tinned rice-pudding (I think it was "Ambrosia' brand ?) in TOPS Kad-Suan-Kaew (Chiang Mai) a couple of days ago, priced at about 125B, hope this helps feed your (understandable) craving ! I love rice-pudding chilled, fresh from the fridge, myself ! cool.png

Edited by Ricardo

We have a small paddy field for rice, about 5 hectare. It takes too much labor to grow it at so a small field and we cannot implement more efficient technologies as it would be not profitable. Prices for rice are growing but not at the rate of labor cost, machinery, and fuel. So, we decided to change and to grow in next years sugar cane at this field. Corn and cassava are doing much better than rice in terms of profit to labor ratio at other our fields but they cannot be grown instead of rice in low lands. I also consider to grow fish in ponds instead of rice but my wife resists as her family has no experience in fish farming and she relies on opinion of her relatives. May be in time I will convince them. However, I have other business to care and not too much time for farming. I hope that commodities will be better appreciated in future and I will take more care on farming. I love farming.

• Like 1