4 Young Swedes, 1 Thai Dead In Horror Smash Near Phuket

webfact

4 Swedes, 1 Thai dead in horror smash near Phuket

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12180QaxxhdvsrWJoCByxJulqXqLsxg.jpg

The crash site in Khok Kloy, just over the bridge from Phuket. Photo: Narinthorn Rescue Foundation Phang Nga

phuket-4-12180oXyObNlrmEFUDSsjvGwfxheJsQ.jpg

The driver of the fish transport truck fled the scene after the accident. He is now being sought by Phuket and Phang Nga Police. Photo: Narinthorn Rescue Foundation Phang Nga

PHUKET: -- Two young Swedish couples and their Thai driver were killed instantly yesterday morning when their rented car was hit head-on by a six-wheel refrigerator truck in Takua Thung District, Phang Nga.

The dead were identified by their ID cards as:

Elin Marita Hedbris, 21

Frida Madeleine Falk, 22

Anders Tobias Larsson, 22

Johan Olof Nikolas Svensson, 22

Wichit Phromluang, 26, from Udon Thani

According to Swedish media reports, the two couples were from the town of Varberg and were on a three-week holiday. They had been staying in Patong.

Swedish consular staff are aware of the crash and will assist the families of the victims.

The bodies of all five victims were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

According to reports, all five were killed instantly when the Honda compact car they were riding in was hit head on by a six-wheel refrigerator truck owned by a fish transport firm Chotepatama Company.

Takua Thung District Police are now hunting the driver, who fled the scene.

The accident happened on the wide stretch of bypass road that runs behind the Thung Pho School in Khok Kloy subdistrict.

According to one report the Swedes were on their way to the popular diving destination of Koh Tao, part of Chumphon Province, when the crash occurred.

It was the worst mass casualty event involving Swedes in Thailand since the 2004 tsunami disaster.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12180.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-02

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sincerest condolences to the families of the victims.

but yet another senseless tradgedy caused by irresponsible driving. so commonplace in Thailand that it's hardly news anymore.

"the driver fled the scene". nothing new about that. that's standard practice. Where I'm from that would result in two things: 1) Carges of vehicular manslaughter. 2) Fleeing the scene of an accident involving death. The driver WOULD be found and, and most likely spend a minimum of 20 years in prison.

But TIT where "responsibility" is unheard of, and even if the driver feels "remorse" and turns himself in, very little will happen to him.

• Like 1

Does not mention what actually happened, were there no witnesses?

Another surprise that the driver fled, but they know who was driving and he will get caught, but of no help to the families of those lost.

A sad loss and all so young. RIP

Why are we seeing so many reports of fatal accidents around Phuket recently? Shame there is not a more in depth report into the cause of the accdent. Too young to have their lives ended in such a tragic way.

I wonder what the statistics are for road accident fatalities are in Thailand or how many we don't hear about from the Thai news. Very sad story and a very senseless loss of life. The truck driver should be brought up on charges of manslaughter, if he is even caught.

• Like 1

Thailand roads are not safe.

I repeat for the white people looking to visit here - Thailand roads are not safe.

Every single road in the Kingdom is crazy dangerous. I risk my life driving my car 15 minutes to Macro. At least 10 speeding pickup trucks, buses, or 10-wheelers fly past me on every trip (at 130-150km+).

Thailand roads are not safe.

Agreed! I spent the last 2 years behind the wheel while living outside of Bangkok and I eventually lost count of the near death experiences I narrowly escaped. Most of the time it was the commercial vehicles (buses, trucks, and vans) I had to watch out for as the majority of the drivers operate their vehicles like they were in Formula One. angry.png

• Like 2

"...Police are now hunting the driver, who fled the scene."

It seems this is true in the majority of tragic motorway accidents. And 99% of the time the driver is found, usually within a few hours. Why do they do it? It's a mystery to me.

I personally think the reason most flee the scene is that they are high on something, talking with a few people that are "alledgedly in the know" with some logistic co's many drivers take on double shifts and are at times put under extreeme presure to cover absentee drivers, these Thai people I chat to about this say that having drivers on the roads with speed/yabba and other drugs in their bodies is common place, although they know of this when asked why do they tolerate this type of behaviour from companies/drivers you get that blank stare. my condolances to all the familes concerned, a shocking tragedy....R.I.P

• Like 1

Sad news, loss of young life. Road accidents are tragic - even more so when they take people at such an age. I agree that harsh penalties should be in place for those who flee the scene of an accident - imagine if one of the victims could have been helped if only the fleeing driver cared to assist. As was mentioned earlier these accidents happen in every country - but I hear of more of them in Thailand.

• Like 1

RIP, Vila i Frid

an excellent dual lane highway, been driving it more than 100 times, wonder how it could happen?

a whiteplated car, thus not a legal taxi, with driver from Isarn 1300km away

as for road casualties, in Phuket its down to 1/3 of what it used to be a decade ago, despite double the traffic

Thais have always struck me a low on peripheral awareness, you see this with pedestrians and supermarket trolley users. I have wondered if this is partly due to the fact that most Thais seem to start their day with a Red Bull or M100, ultra high caffeine drink. This does concentrate the mind but often to the extent of mental tunnel vision.

• Like 1

RIP to the victims,lock up & throw away the key for the driver who fled the site of the accident.

Just another of the fatalities on Thai roads from maniac drivers that think a licence & a trip to the local Wat gives them immunity from all consequences.

Most Roads are good,its the drivers that are dangerous & unskilled.crazy.gif

• Like 1

I believe most flee as they need to find money for bail. Involved in a mortal accident bail is needed to not stay in jail.

If he shows up at Policestation within 24 hours of accident, he is within Th law

I personally think the reason most flee the scene is that they are high on something, talking with a few people that are "alledgedly in the know" with some logistic co's many drivers take on double shifts and are at times put under extreeme presure to cover absentee drivers, these Thai people I chat to about this say that having drivers on the roads with speed/yabba and other drugs in their bodies is common place, although they know of this when asked why do they tolerate this type of behaviour from companies/drivers you get that blank stare. my condolances to all the familes concerned, a shocking tragedy....R.I.P

There is probably much truth in what you say. For that reason alone, there should be a custodial sentence for those that flee the scene.

• Like 1

kbb thats not true, most are hidden.

This week ive seen 4 dead/severly injured motorbike vs car accident

none reported in thai newspaper/english newspaper

in fact 2 days ago was just in front of my house next to a massive speedbump. guy for sure lost a leg if not worse