Window Xp Norway To English

Ken

I have a computer that is loaded with Windows XP Pro Software and the software was from Norway. Thus everything is in Norwegian Language.

I am familiar with the way to change the Regional and Language Settings, but this does not have any affect on the actual Language of Window XP. For example, no matter what I change the Regional and Language Settings, it has no affect on the Desktop Icons that are still in Norwegion Language.

Is it possible to change everything from Norwegion to English_

I have a computer that is loaded with Windows XP Pro Software and the software was from Norway.  Thus everything is in Norwegian Language.

I am familiar with the way to change the Regional and Language Settings, but this does not have any affect on the actual Language of Window XP.  For example, no matter what I change the Regional and Language Settings, it has no affect on the Desktop Icons that are still in Norwegion Language.

Is it possible to change everything from Norwegion to English_

In my experience the best way is to format and re-install with an English version. That said my experience was changing FROM English to an asian language (Korean).

It may be possible to install the English version over the top of the Norwegan but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for your response Crossy. Yea, I know I can reformat and load XP with one of "those" Thailand "versions". The "but" to this is that I have a "legit" backup CD of Norwegian XP that was originally loaded on the laptop (with all the drivers, etc, for the laptop). If it were possible to just change the language of the operating system from Norwegian to English, that would be the preferred way.

However, having done a little more research thru google, it looks like it cannot be done. Microsoft apparently does have something called "Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI)" that would to this, but it looks like it can only be done if the system was first loaded with an English version and then the "MUI" added afterwards. And according to Microsoft, the "Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI)" was only being sold "for Corporatons" and not available at "retail".

At any rate it looks like the answer is "NO WAY". :o

Microsoft being who they are... inflexible bastards.

I want to buy a computer here in Thailand and get a Swedish XP Pro installed - but there is no way to download a genuine copy from the net and pay by credit card... noooo, you have to send for a CD from Scandinavia (price over 120 USD) and add shipping costs, and then also pay import tax on it. Ridiculous.

No wonder there are pirates.

Microsoft being who they are... inflexible bastards.

I want to buy a computer here in Thailand and get a Swedish XP Pro installed - but there is no way to download a genuine copy from the net and pay by credit card... noooo, you have to send for a CD from Scandinavia (price over 120 USD) and add shipping costs, and then also pay import tax on it. Ridiculous.

No wonder there are pirates.

:D Sad, isn't it. About the only viable options we seem to have around here are the piracy options. I guess "inflexible bastards" is putting it nicely. :o

I am not 100% sure of the legality of it but:

If you did get a "Panthip" copy of windows, and then entered the original serial number, I believe you would still have a valid licence, providing of course that the version of windows was the same(Home or Pro), and it went on the same computer. Remember when you buy software, what you are actually paying for is the licence to use it, not the software itself.

Edited by slimdog

I am not 100% sure of the legality of it but:

If you did get a "Panthip" copy of windows, and then entered the original serial number, I believe you would still have a valid licence, providing of course that the version of windows was the same(Home or Pro), and it went on the same computer. Remember when you buy software, what you are actually paying for is the licence to use it, not the software itself.

Seems like you have a valid point there slimdog. But, when I first loaded the "copy" of Windows, indeed I tried using the orignal "serial number" from the original software and it came up as "invalid". Yes, the original software was Windows XP Pro and the "copy" was Windows XP Pro. Oh well. :o