Parking At Thepprasit Nightmarket: Beware!

saengsureeya

Visited a friend in one of the buildings adjacent to the Thepprasit Nightmarket.

I parked my bike opposite the market on a free spot on the side of the road.

After an hour or so..........I found my bike gone, in fact........a lot of bikes has gone missing.

Sur place......2 coppers with big smiles explaining that I shouldn't have parked my bike along the red-white and yellow-white striping. Of course they were right, but who cares the striping along the side of the road, especially if there are no alternatives.

Anyway, I asked where my bike was and they answered: "Soi Korpai"..........yes, I know Soi Korpai, but where in Soi Korpai (my tone got slightly more agitated). "Soi Korpai, here is motorbike taxi can take you"

I answred: "I rather walk" and the reply was: "Long way mister..........."

My reply: "Is that your problem or my problem?" (now really agitated)

The younger one of the two coppers got as agitated as I was at that moment and his smile has changed into a nasty grin. Thai surrounders told me to: "Chaa yen yen".

Anyway, I phoned my friend who sent someone on a bike to take me to Soi Korpai, following a motorbike taxi-driver who has just picked up 2 victims. I was about to ask if it was allowed to have 2 passengers on a bike and if I was allowed to be a passenger without a helmet, but my driver sped away (smart action).

My bike was impounded at a remote area in a Soi of Soi 1 of Soi Korpai..............hundreds of bikes were parked waiting for a re-union with their owners for the "small" fee of THB 400 each. Of course it was possible to get a receipt.......but then I had to pay THB 500. I dropped the 4 THB 100 notes before the lady onsite could grab them, so at least she had to work for it.

I immediately drove back to the site along Thepprasit Road and got to the 2 coppers. The younger one immediately left, so I asked the older one: "Khun phood passaa Neteland, dai mai"........."Phood mai dai, khrub" So I put my friendliest face on and said: "Stelletje gore vieze teringlijders" and off I went. [bunch of dirty filthy a**-holes]

Conclusion: Do NOT park your bike or car there where they painted red-white or yellow-white marking along the board walk, not even if there are hundreds of other bikes parked. During my second (short) encounter I even saw them loading bikes which were parked at 'blank' spots and there is parking allowed. Just beware.

Edited by saengsureeya

"I dropped the 4 THB 100 notes before the lady onsite could grab them, so at least she had to work for it."

Those notes have the image of the King. Dropping them on the ground is offensive (possibly seen as lese majeste) and secondly, the lot cashier is paid to do her job, not put up with cnuts like you.

• Like 1

I parked my bike on second road, did not know anything about the alternate days policy and was chained, went to police station, paid my fine and got it unlocked, still not quite sure <deleted> that is, can someone explain?passifier.gif

Edited by Cobrabiker

Conclusion: Do NOT park your bike or car there where they painted red-white or yellow-white marking along the board walk, not even if there are hundreds of other bikes parked.

Exactly,because others park wrong doesn't mean you have to do also, same as you also don't jump from a balcony because many others do

During my second (short) encounter I even saw them loading bikes which were parked at 'blank' spots and there is parking allowed. Just beware.

I understand you anger,but telling some porkies really makes no sence.

Funny how so many farangs here get so bent when the LAW is enforced and also when it's not, you can't have it both ways people. If you're back in your own country it'd cost you twice as much and if you acted like the OP has described you'd get your head knocked and a night at minimum in jail along with it.

• Like 2

Conclusion: Do NOT park your bike or car there where they painted red-white or yellow-white marking along the board walk, not even if there are hundreds of other bikes parked.

Exactly,because others park wrong doesn't mean you have to do also, same as you also don't jump from a balcony because many others do

During my second (short) encounter I even saw them loading bikes which were parked at 'blank' spots and there is parking allowed. Just beware.

I understand you anger,but telling some porkies really makes no sence.

agree... especially as there is plenty of parking space behind the market.

You are lucky to be alive to tell the tale!

Don't know why I get this strange p sign when my posts go up?

You are on super secret probation.

To the OP. You will not enjoy your time in LOS and if you keep it up it will end in tears, or at least a big whinging <deleted> post.

The trick with the money was actually very dangerous.

So you parked illegally, Your bike got impounded and it cost you all of 400Baht and you are complaining?????

Of course it is everyone else's fault but your own, unbelievable!!!

I think if you look you will see it's YOU that is the problem here.

Edited by kevkev1888
  • Like 2

To the OP. You will not enjoy your time in LOS and if you keep it up it will end in tears, or at least a big whinging <deleted> post.

He would have a better chance of surviving a swim in the Crocodile farm at feeding time...

I parked my bike on second road, did not know anything about the alternate days policy and was chained, went to police station, paid my fine and got it unlocked, still not quite sure <deleted> that is, can someone explain?passifier.gif

Not sure but I was done like this years ago for parking on the same side 2 days in a row, not knowing any better. I think its for street cleaning in Bangkok but allow me to be corrected as I had limited Thai way back then!

first you admit to parking where it is ILLEGAL and then you cop and attitude when the police when they try to assist you in retrieivng your illegally parked vehicle. Good on the BIB for enforcing the parking regulations and let me thank you for contributing to the Pattaya City government coffers.

Edited by Rimmer
flame

Not sure but I was done like this years ago for parking on the same side 2 days in a row, not knowing any better. I think its for street cleaning in Bangkok but allow me to be corrected as I had limited Thai way back then!

Normally it will say ODD day No Parking ..So if it is a day that can be divided by 2 you can Park... Normally not enforced until 09:00 AM... giving the guys that entered a bar at 21:00 hrs and leaving 0600 hrs next morning time to get to the ATM or Clinic

OP: you are playing with fire here. First off, you are in the wrong. You really weren't supposed to park there. Everone knows that already. The police didn't just target you. They targeted all the bikes that did that, including Thais. Secondly, DO NOT EVER "DROP" MONEY LIKE THAT TO ANY THAI. ESPECIALLY TO ANY THAI AFFILIATED WITH THE POLICE. The money has HM the King's picture on it. To drop it on the floor is offensive. You are lucky they didn't arrest you for lese majeste.

And what are you complaining about? 400 baht? What is that? $15USD? I have had cars towed in the United States. Try $400 USD minimum. It's approximately $270 for the tow, plus $100 per day storage.

Edited by submaniac

Thanks for letting me know what I exactly am.

3 things:

- If I actually complaint for no reason the young copper wouldn't have walked away, but put me behind bars

- the red-white and yellow-white marking is situated near the entrance of Aksorn School.......in order to keep the entrance safe and clear during opening and closing of the school. On a Friday night at 10 p.m. the gate is closed and 2 cars were parked AT the entrance where of course are no markings; completely legitimate.

- the option for getting a receipt for THB 100 extra was for me enough proof that I was dealing with a scam and NOT with a proper way of law-enforcement.

IF I am wrong I'll be the last to complain about law-enforcement and I'll be "happy" to pay my fine.

- If I actually complaint for no reason the young copper wouldn't have walked away, but put me behind bars

Not necessarily. The ex GF was an LAPD officer. You don't realize that it is also an aggravation for the cop to arrest someone as well. Obviously there are certain crimes (like if someone is running awaay from a murder scene covered with blood) that arrest is mandatory. Other situations, it can be discretionary. Sometimes she let peole go, even when they shot their mouth off just because it was a PIA for her to do the paperwork for an arrest. The cops you ran into probably were probably on a motorcycle so they'd either have to take a whining Falang on the back of the bike or call in for a wagon. Hassle for them=let you go.

- the red-white and yellow-white marking is situated near the entrance of Aksorn School.......in order to keep the entrance safe and clear during opening and closing of the school. On a Friday night at 10 p.m. the gate is closed and 2 cars were parked AT the entrance where of course are no markings; completely legitimate.

Doesn't matter. It's not legal to park their. Cops were within their rights to impound the bike.

- the option for getting a receipt for THB 100 extra was for me enough proof that I was dealing with a scam and NOT with a proper way of law-enforcement.

Not indicative of a scam. They were not picking on you as a Falang in Thailand. They didn't know who the bike belonged to and didn't care. They impounded Thai owned bikes as well. How do you know that the cops you spoke to had anything to do with it? Something like the mass impound of bikes sounds like it came from a higher authority than just a beat cop. If you wanted a receipt, they would have given it to you...for a 100 baht more. Consider it "you saved 100 baht".

IF I am wrong I'll be the last to complain about law-enforcement and I'll be "happy" to pay my fine.

I heard that they dopn't wipe off the red white markings anymore after school time since it cost too much to repaint them every morning.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know what I exactly am.

3 things:

Why don't you just let it go man. Many have explained to you how and why on the subject. Listen to submaniac, he is Thai (I think), don't trow money (or anything) in anger when dealing with a person indirectly working for the Government, you WILL loose. Just consider it as a learning lesson for living/driving in Pattaya that cost you 400 bath.

Also note that outside Tukcom on South Pattaya Road the police are dragging hundreds of bikes away every week, earning 10.000's of bath to City Hall.

DO NOT EVER "DROP" MONEY LIKE THAT TO ANY THAI. ESPECIALLY TO ANY THAI AFFILIATED WITH THE POLICE. The money has HM the King's picture on it. To drop it on the floor is offensive. You are lucky they didn't arrest you for lese majeste.

That's not quite true. If you drop money on the floor and stand on it to either stop it blowing away or rolling away, then that's considered Offensive. But, to just drop it on the floor is certainly NOT considered offensive. How often have you dropped money on the floor?

DO NOT EVER "DROP" MONEY LIKE THAT TO ANY THAI. ESPECIALLY TO ANY THAI AFFILIATED WITH THE POLICE. The money has HM the King's picture on it. To drop it on the floor is offensive. You are lucky they didn't arrest you for lese majeste.

That's not quite true. If you drop money on the floor and stand on it to either stop it blowing away or rolling away, then that's considered Offensive. But, to just drop it on the floor is certainly NOT considered offensive. How often have you dropped money on the floor?

Drop != throw and I have never seen a Thai put his foot on a banknote or coin.

Some farangs are the reason that the police and the Thai's hate us. Like many people said dropping money is even worse then pointing your feet at a Thai and it really pisses me off that you did that. Just plain RUDE. And to a woman who is just doing her job? Would you prefer she is out stealing gold necklaces or doing legitimate work?

Please smarten up if you plan on staying in Thailand and do NOT give us a bad name like you are doing.

You were very rude and should have been punished for that.

warning to BIB.. never try and separate a Dutchman and his money....

OP we bitch and moan as a community when we see blatant disregard for the law here in LOS but as far as i can see you parked illegally.... was the lady who collected the money really a filthy a'hole or just some lady doing her job.

did it make you feel better swearing at her in Dutch and showing disrespect for her by throwing down the money...

Im not 100% sure Thailand is for you..... perhaps going back to Friesland for a while and try parking your bike illegally could be the answer....

Just grow up.....Im not sure if your post was supposed to spotlight you as someone lacking in mental capabilities but if it was, you succeeded beautifully

Not to mention just plain disrespectful..

It's for traffic control.. Alternating sides so traffic can flow better...