What To Do In An Accident?

Cobrabiker

Hi, I have never owned a car in LOS before, I am buying a 2 years old car, I would like to know

1) in case there is an accident, what should I do?

2) And what does the compulsory insurance cover?

I presume I would not be using it very often, so if I get it insured for additional 3rd party, and got into an accident, and it is not my fault, that means someone hit my car, by a poor teenage motorcylist or a rundown grandfather truck, which they only have the government compulsory insurance, or worse still, none

3) so how to claim from their insurance?

4) what to do if they have no money to pay? or refuse to pay because we are foreigners?

Your advice shall be greatly appreciated.

Buy 1st class insurance.

Have accident.

Call insurance, sit back and relax.

agreed

Por Or Bor, by foreingenrs called compulsory Insurance, covers medical after they have been paid, limited to 50k baht, and of course they want to see your Th DL

3rd party covers liability and property up to a limit depending on your insurance deal

1st class covers your vehicle according to agreement

and if a kid rides a bike into you, its not much to get from him

1. flee the scene ( you read this on the forum all the time )

2. Nothing at all.

3. if you have 3rd party insurance,just call the number on your policy and wait.

4. if they don't have money or rfuse to pay,insurance company will take care of it.

Insurance company will manage to get them in jail where they stay untill they find money,which usually happens in the next few hours coincidental.

Edited by janverbeem

Buy 1st class insurance.

Have accident.

agreed

Por Or Bor, by foreingenrs called compulsory Insurance, covers medical after they have been paid, limited to 50k baht, and of course they want to see your Th DL

3rd party covers liability and property up to a limit depending on your insurance deal

Oh, the compulsory insurance is only for medical up to 50k baht, ok I then i know about it.

Ok it is a 3 years old Honda city, paid deposit yesterday, will do a transfer on Tuesday, I belief 1st class insurance is 20k++ and 3rd class should be 3k+ am I right? There is another 3rd class called 3rd plus, told by a thai it is better coverage, well as I said I will not use it everyday cos I have 2 bikes already, so seriously I need to think wether it is worth to pay for the 1st class.

I was dam_n lucky to find a car with only about 7000km , did I trust it, no, so we drove in to Honda and check everything, no flood, no accident, real mileage, hee hee!

Does anyone has any experience with 3rd class insurance claim? Your car is insured 3rd class and a thai with only a government insurance rammed into your back? Will your insurance company foot the bill for the damages? And if the thai pretended to be poor and did not want to pay, then how is the claimage?

Thanks so far for all inputs.

2. Nothing at all.

3. if you have 3rd party insurance,just call the number on your policy and wait.

4. if they don't have money or rfuse to pay,insurance company will take care of it.

Insurance company will manage to get them in jail where they stay untill they find money,which usually happens in the next few hours coincidental.

So, for number 4, is this for 3rd class too? Will I get paid for the repair right away or until the insurance company able to get some money from the other party? Am I right to say the insurance company will pay for the repairs right away whether they are able to claim any money from the other party?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Buy 1st class insurance.

Have accident.

agreed

Oh, the compulsory insurance is only for medical up to 50k baht, ok I then i know about it.

Ok it is a 3 years old Honda city, paid deposit yesterday, will do a transfer on Tuesday, I belief 1st class insurance is 20k++ and 3rd class should be 3k+ am I right? There is another 3rd class called 3rd plus, told by a thai it is better coverage, well as I said I will not use it everyday cos I have 2 bikes already, so seriously I need to think wether it is worth to pay for the 1st class.

I was dam_n lucky to find a car with only about 7000km , did I trust it, no, so we drove in to Honda and check everything, no flood, no accident, real mileage, hee hee!

Does anyone has any experience with 3rd class insurance claim? Your car is insured 3rd class and a thai with only a government insurance rammed into your back? Will your insurance company foot the bill for the damages? And if the thai pretended to be poor and did not want to pay, then how is the claimage?

Thanks so far for all inputs.

3rd party covers the damage you cause to others only. Nothing for your car, or you

2. Nothing at all.

So, for number 4, is this for 3rd class too? Will I get paid for the repair right away or until the insurance company able to get some money from the other party? Am I right to say the insurance company will pay for the repairs right away whether they are able to claim any money from the other party?

The way I understand it,but I have never had an accident while on 3rd party insurance,is that you get paid if you're in the right and they recover from the other party.

2. Nothing at all.

The way I understand it,but I have never had an accident while on 3rd party insurance,is that you get paid if you're in the right and they recover from the other party.

My experience in 20 or incidents with bikes hitting my cars, 1st class Insurance tries to get 10-20k baht from the bike rider and then let them go. Most Insurance companies do not want to spend 50k on court cases usually not giving them any money anyway

3rd party does not cover you in any way

2. Nothing at all.

My experience in 20 or incidents with bikes hitting my cars, 1st class Insurance tries to get 10-20k baht from the bike rider and then let them go. Most Insurance companies do not want to spend 50k on court cases usually not giving them any money anyway

3rd party does not cover you in any way

Then they must be telling porkies in their policy.

Hi Katabeachbum, my main concern is someone hiting my car, and if I am insured with 3rd class, and the person hitting my car has no insurance, will this be the problem with the insurance company to deal with that person, regardless whether the insurance company is able or unable to collect money from that party, I will still be paid for the damages?

If you have 3rd class insurance, it covers only the other person and only if you are at fault. Depending on which 3rd class you have that might cover their hospital bills alone, or their car. It is your insurance so that you don't have to fork out for damaging their car. Under no circumstances will it pay out for any damage to you or your car.

Is someone hits you and they have no insurance, you get the money off them. Good luck! If you have 1st class, your insurance will pay up and the insurance company will chase the other guy down for the money.

Let me see if I can help.

This is what the compulsory insurance (Por Ror Bor), that every vehicle in Thailand is required to have (but not all do) covers:

If you are not at fault:

• Up to 15,000 Baht per person for medical expenses
  • Up to 35,000 Baht per person in the case of death (to be discounted accordingly if the dead person already received medical expense compensation).

If you are at fault:

• Up to 50,000 Baht per person for medical expenses
  • Up to 100,000 Baht per person in the case of death (to be discounted accordingly if the dead person already received medical expense compensation).

Simple as that.

And a few notes:

• Do not expect an insurance assessor/representative to assist you at the scene if you only have compulsory insurance. This is a service you will only get with a comprehensive (1st class) policy.
  • It's not at all unsual for medical expenses to far exceed 50,000 Baht per person (that barely covers the cost of a broken femur these days), and you remain liable to pay any shortfall if the accident was your fault.
  • In the case of death, expect the compensation claim to approach 1,000,000 Baht per person, not 100,000. Again, you are liable to pay the shortfall.
  • Compulsory insurance never compensates for damage to property.

In short, not having 1st class insurance in TH is like playing Russian Roulette, each and every time you get in a car.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi Moon River, thanks for the detailed explanation about the compulsory insurance.

Ok Naboo, if I have 3rd class, and someone hits my car without insurance, you mean I need to settle the damage with him directly? It is not the job of my insurance company to claim all damages from him?

Hi Moon River, thanks for the detailed explanation about the compulsory insurance.

Ok Naboo, if I have 3rd class, and someone hits my car without insurance, you mean I need to settle the damage with him directly? It is not the job of my insurance company to claim all damages from him?

Yes, you need to settle the issue yourself. It only kicks in if your at fault and it pays for the other party not you.

Get a first class insurance and they pay you first and take care of the rest. Other perks include fire, theft, etc...

1st class is very cheap in Thailand. It's a no brainer really.

Edited by MJo

Yes, you need to settle the issue yourself. It only kicks in if your at fault and it pays for the other party not you.

Get a first class insurance and they pay you first and take care of the rest. Other perks include fire, theft, etc...

Friend of mine has 3rd party insurance on a bike.Someone crashed into his bike,so obvious he isn't at fault,he called the insurance company and representative came to the location and other party denied resposibillity.Police was called but no agreement so ended up at the police station.All together took maybe 4 hours and insurrance guy arranged everything untill the end.

Friend of mine has 3rd party insurance on a bike.Someone crashed into his bike,so obvious he isn't at fault,he called the insurance company and representative came to the location and other party denied resposibillity.Police was called but no agreement so ended up at the police station.All together took maybe 4 hours and insurrance guy arranged everything untill the end.

Did they also collect the payment from the other party and paid it to your friend ?

Did they also collect the payment from the other party and paid it to your friend ?

My friend picked up the cheque the very next day at the other party's insurance office. Edited by janverbeem

Think your friend got lucky that the other party was properly insured. Although i've seen uninsured Thais to pay and even seen Thai's not at fault to pay medical expenses for the uninsured kid who hit them with a bike and was at fault. Just because they knew the kid didn't have any money.

Surely they do assist you and are involved but if your not at fault and other party is not insured / broke / not willing to pay it can spell problems.

I'd also assume the policy conditions differ between different companies and policies so most likely support in case of accident is defined in the policy documents.

With 1st class your payment comes from your own insurance company and they deal with any issues with other party. So with the small cost of getting one it's worth the money IMHO and once you have one there is no doubt on payments.

Think your friend got lucky that the other party was properly insured. Although i've seen uninsured Thais to pay and even seen Thai's not at fault to pay medical expenses for the uninsured kid who hit them with a bike and was at fault. Just because they knew the kid didn't have any money.

Surely they do assist you and are involved but if your not at fault and other party is not insured / broke / not willing to pay it can spell problems.

I'd also assume the policy conditions differ between different companies and policies so most likely support in case of accident is defined in the policy documents.

With 1st class your payment comes from your own insurance company and they deal with any issues with other party. So with the small cost of getting one it's worth the money IMHO and once you have one there is no doubt on payments.

Ok, I got it all clear, 3rd class does not cover damages to your car if someone hits you, or you hit somebody, it only cover other people's car if you hit them.

Talked to AA and they told me only 1st and 2nd class will pay for damages to your car, and the 2nd class is a 2+1,(not sure what is that) any driver policy, 2nd class has lesser coverage like you hit a lamp pole or got crashed in the public parking. Will see how much difference it comes up, now waiting for the quote.

Edited by Cobrabiker