Bank Accounts

Yes, you can; although, like a lot of things here in Thailand, it all depends on where you go, who you speak to, that person's level of training and/or job satisfaction, and their particular mood at the particular time you see them.

Even though their requirements are CLEARLY posted online, it took me five visits to three different branches to open an account with Bangkok Bank...

Edited by jamesbrock

Makes no difference. I'm in Samui and, although everyone I spoke to understood what I wanted, none of them knew their employer's guidelines.

The first question I was asked upon saying I wanted to open an account was, "Do you have work permit?" Upon answering in the negative, and being told I needed a work permit, I decided it would be better for all concerned that I just took the advice Semper offered above (which I'd read on here many times).

The last branch I went to asked me to come back when the regional manager was visiting, as he spoke better English, but, when I finally managed to catch him, I was asked the same old "Do you have work permit?" question. At this time, I was the only person in the branch, so I thought I could take a bit of time and explain their employer's guidelines to them - this was as easy as saying "I don't actually need a work permit if I have a non-imm visa." The regional manager took my passport, checked the visa page for a few minutes, and said something to the teller, who reached down and grabbed a massive lever arch file, flipped through it for a few minutes, read a page (or pretended to), and without any further protest, opened the account for me. She didn't even ask for the other information I was required to produce.

Edited by jamesbrock

Yes, you can; although, like a lot of things here in Thailand, it all depends on where you go, who you speak to, that person's level of training and/or job satisfaction, and their particular mood at the particular time you see them.

Even though their requirements are CLEARLY posted online, it took me five visits to three different branches to open an account with Bangkok Bank...

Hence I mentioned Kasikorn Bank. In the past I had at least 5 bank accounts in K-Bank and all of them with only a tourist visa.

I love the way the Thai mind 'works'. I recall the day I was shopping for a small fire extinguisher for our kitchen at the Mall Bangkapi. I went to the hardware section where there were larger fire extiguishers for sale, too big for use in a small room like a kitchen and asked the sales clerk (in Thai) if they sold the smaller version. Note that this particular fellow managed this section only, which is approx 40sqm, so he should, at the very least know his product. So, "no" he tells me, they don't have the smaller ones, but this big one is very good. I took a step back, looked around the corner and saw an entire shelf of the smaller fire extinguishers, exactly like the one I was looking for. I poined them out to the sales clerk and he gave me his best 'where the hell did they come' from look before quickly recovering and giving me his idiot grin look and waving like one of the models on the Price Is Right at his array of fire extinguishers.

In high school my friends worked part time in dept stores and within 1 week knew every product on every shelf in the store, including origin, price, warranty, features etc. The fact that a bank manager can spend an entire career in a bank and not know THE MOST BASIC information relating to opening an account is staggering beyonf belief, unless you have lived in Thailand.

• Like 1

here's another,2weeks ago went to bkk.bank for tax certs.3fixed accs.and one currant ac.got the certs.for the fixed but the bank clerk said i would have to go to the main bank where the ac.was held.the wife made the journey when she got there she was given a form for me to sign giving my permission to get the cert.she went back the next day only to be told no tax is deducted from this acc.no dont laugh its not funny.

Ok thanks. So anyone can open a savings account with a passport and drivers license and proof of address. Will see how I go next week! Cheers for the info

Opened a Kasikorn ATM acount with just my passport, they weren't interested in anything else, except the money being deposited.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

here's another,2weeks ago went to bkk.bank for tax certs.3fixed accs.and one currant ac.got the certs.for the fixed but the bank clerk said i would have to go to the main bank where the ac.was held.the wife made the journey when she got there she was given a form for me to sign giving my permission to get the cert.she went back the next day only to be told no tax is deducted from this acc.no dont laugh its not funny.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pngbiggrin.png

Another ting regarding banks here. I lived on Phuket for a while back in app. year 2004 and had an account with Siam Comm. Bank.

Later I moved to Pattaya and had to do first payment on a house being build for 2 mill bath. When I went to the SCB branch and wanted to transfer the 2 mill bath they told me: mister your bank is on Phuket so we will charge you 1% for transfer. I said WHAT, no way I am paying 20.000 bath to transfer MY money.

I asked them what to do now and they said: We open a new account for you here (BKK branch) and transfer the money for free. I asked them why I could not open an account last week when I asked for one, work permit needed I was told then, he-he.

You can now mister I was told, no problem. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Many things have been said about living here, but its not boring and you have to be a patient and keep your cool and you will be fine.

I love the way the Thai mind 'works'. I recall the day I was shopping for a small fire extinguisher for our kitchen at the Mall Bangkapi. I went to the hardware section where there were larger fire extiguishers for sale, too big for use in a small room like a kitchen and asked the sales clerk (in Thai) if they sold the smaller version. Note that this particular fellow managed this section only, which is approx 40sqm, so he should, at the very least know his product. So, "no" he tells me, they don't have the smaller ones, but this big one is very good. I took a step back, looked around the corner and saw an entire shelf of the smaller fire extinguishers, exactly like the one I was looking for. I poined them out to the sales clerk and he gave me his best 'where the hell did they come' from look before quickly recovering and giving me his idiot grin look and waving like one of the models on the Price Is Right at his array of fire extinguishers.

In high school my friends worked part time in dept stores and within 1 week knew every product on every shelf in the store, including origin, price, warranty, features etc. The fact that a bank manager can spend an entire career in a bank and not know THE MOST BASIC information relating to opening an account is staggering beyonf belief, unless you have lived in Thailand.

Can't recall JIB or Hardware House, I once took out an UPS out of their stock which they "didn't have on stock".

But there, there sales computer didn't work and she had to write the invoice with hand and put it in later, maybe that was the reason for "mai me" everything??

Can't recall JIB or Hardware House, I once took out an UPS out of their stock which they "didn't have on stock".

But there, there sales computer didn't work and she had to write the invoice with hand and put it in later, maybe that was the reason for "mai me" everything??

The 'mai me' for everything is due to the fact that it takes effort to go and look for something. Much easier to sit and look at oneself in a mirror or stare into space.

Certainly, in some cases bank account can be opened quickly. I remember the day I landed in Hat Yai at 7 pm and had a bank account opened on the following day by noon. The clerk asked me for work permit and I replied that I needed a bank account for the job I would do otherwise can`t take over the job. Another clerk turned up and after hearing my case he started the paperworks done in 10 mins.

I think it all depends on the bank branch and the person you are talking to. When I first retired, I had to go to several different banks and branches to find one that would open an account for me. I ended up at SCB.

I had a friend who retired and he wanted an account at a specific branch that was convenient for him. We ended up going to Thai immigration and explained that my friend retired and wanted to open a bank account. Immigration wrote something by hand in Thai and told him to give that to the bank. The bank immediately opened his account. I have no idea why you should have to go to your embassy.