Employment Certification Letter?

I am applying for employment at a new school. They want some type of Employment Certification Letter stating that, in fact, I have been legally teaching in Thailand for 3 years as stated in my resume. I offered copies of my contracts but they want an official document. What special document should I ask the secretary for at my current school?

I would hazard a guess that they possibly mean a ' teaching licence' and possibly your T.C.T. certificate, or truth be known someone has got a trifle muddled in their thinking

Immigration in Sawannakhet were asking one of our colleagues doing a visa trip to come up with a letter from educational area XXX office, which he didn't have. When you've worked at only one school you could ask for a letter from this particular office.

You stated that you've worked for three years "legally", don't you have your old work permit(s)? Copies would be okay as well.

But it could also be that they'd like to see a teacher's license. Can't you just ask them to specify what they'd like to see? Good luck! jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Yes, the work permit shows the actual location of work. Assuming that you have been fully legally employed, that passes muster as evidence of what you have been officially doing. I suppose tax documents could also support your claim. I find it odd that they would ask for a letter from your present employer; in most cases, until they were making a hard offer to hire, they could hardly expect you to jeopardise your present employment. A reference is allowable, but should be a person of your choice who can confirm your statements, not an 'official' school form.

It doesn't sound like the outfit you are moving towards is one which has your best interests or real professionalism in mind.

Speaking of the work permit, when you do formally quit at the old school, assuming they don't get angry with you and cancel it out of spite, if everything is done cooperatively you will need to get a 'release' form from the previous job to expedite the transfer of the work permit to the new employer. Without this, you are effectively back to square one of the work permit/visa extension process all over again. So there is some merit and reward to leaving jobs without burning bridges here.

Getting a certification letter is fairly standard procedure. I do about 3 or 4 a week. They are required for a variety of reasons.

Your school should be able to provide you with one and if you don't want to tell them what it is for, then just have it addressed to "Whom It May Concern". The letter should be written on letter head paper and have the schools official stamp.

Filipinos require them for registering with the POEA, some credit card companies want one (in addition to the contract), etc. etc..

It is not a letter of reference. It states when you started working and your salary, if desired.

Speaking of the work permit, when you do formally quit at the old school, assuming they don't get angry with you and cancel it out of spite, if everything is done cooperatively you will need to get a 'release' form from the previous job to expedite the transfer of the work permit to the new employer. Without this, you are effectively back to square one of the work permit/visa extension process all over again. So there is some merit and reward to leaving jobs without burning bridges here.

Speaking of the work permit, when you do formally quit at the old school, assuming they don't get angry with you and cancel it out of spite, if everything is done cooperatively you will need to get a 'release' form from the previous job to expedite the transfer of the work permit to the new employer.

It's not that easy any more. The waiver letter now is issued for a particular school. ( Could still be accepted though, depending on Labor department) Starting at a school in another province would also mean to apply for a new visa, leaving the country, applying for a waiver again etc...Good luck! jap.gif.