What If You Only Get A Single-Entry Non-Immigrant Visa?

Dear list,

A friend of mine from the UK has got his non-immigrant visa (type M) to work in Thailand for a few months.

However, the embassy in London said that his visa is single-entry only. When he asked how he could travel to other countries, they said he would need to contact the Immigration bureau in Bangkok to sort it out. Or, they said, when he wants to travel somewhere, he would go to the airport and ask for a re-entry permit.

Is it easy as it sounds - asking for a re-entry permit? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

He will be allowed to stay in Thailand for up to 90 days. If he want to leave and retun to Thailand, he can get a re-entry permit. That will keep his 90 days alive. However, it doesn't add any extra days. He just keeps his original date he is alowed to stay of after 90 days of his (first) entry into Thailand.

He must purchase a re-entry permit. A single is 1000 baht and a multiple is 3800 baht. It can be purchased at the airport, but only during certain hours 0600-2400. It's best to go to an immigration office and purchase one in advance. If he leaves Thailand without a re-entry permit his permission to stay ends when he leaves. He can only re-enter with a new visa or a visa exempt entry (30 days).

Edited by wayned

@PoorSucker: Yes, my friend also got a work permit. But in this question, we are only concerned about how he can re-enter Thailand.

Thank you for your all your kind advice. Could you pls let us know where in Bangkok we can go to buy the re-entry permit. Do we need to fill any form and bring anything apart from the passport?

My sincere thanks,