Tourist Visa To Thailand

Hey, I want to get a tourist visa for the summer. I want to go visit my girlfriend some old friends and my host families that I had while living there as an exchange student. I am 18 and speak thai. Im an american citizen. So i read on some site that says that americans can enter Thailand without a visa for 30 days. Then what? I was planning on staying for about 2 months. Would i have to apply for some kind of extended visa while I am there or can i just stay a while then leave? Also apart from a plane ticket do i have to get any specific documentation that will permit me to get through customs? Aside from that how much does a visa cost? The ticket over there is quite expensive as it is. Thanks!!!

Since you want to stay about 2 months, i would advise you to get a tourist visa from a consulate in the US. This would give you a stay of 60 days with the option to extend it by 30 days.

Without a visa you would indeed get 30 days, but withut a ticket out of Thailand the airline might deny you boarding. With a (tourist) visa there is no need to have a ticket out of the country.