2012 Cbr 1000 Rr

SumetCycle

i dont know why people are surprised at restrictions ,even the kawa d-tracker is re-stricted for thailand and im sure kawasaki would prefer to sell those un-restricted as well

why would a litre bike be any differnnt ?

The problem with the Thailand model, is that is the Japanese model and the restrictions on those are not based upon fuel economy, noise, or anything else. Until 2007, Japan had a law that all bikes (even 1000cc superbikes) were speed limited to 180 km/h and 94 hp. In 2007 the law was changed, but ALL of the major Japanese manufacturerers agreed to reduce the power of the domestically offered bikes. It's not about laws and emissions, its about Honda limiting power on their home market bikes. Instead of importing the Rest of the World models to Thailand, they imported the JDM restricted model.

My bike is a California model which has just as tight emissions and noise regulations as Thailand, but it still makes 30 hp more.

The 08-11 US spec bikes are also not full power to meet US noise emissions, but it's a easy fix to get the extra 7-10hp that it's missing between 10,500-12,200RPM

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know why people are surprised at restrictions ,even the kawa d-tracker is re-stricted for thailand and im sure kawasaki would prefer to sell those un-restricted as well

The problem with the Thailand model, is that is the Japanese model and the restrictions on those are not based upon fuel economy, noise, or anything else. Until 2007, Japan had a law that all bikes (even 1000cc superbikes) were speed limited to 180 km/h and 94 hp. In 2007 the law was changed, but ALL of the major Japanese manufacturerers agreed to reduce the power of the domestically offered bikes. It's not about laws and emissions, its about Honda limiting power on their home market bikes. Instead of importing the Rest of the World models to Thailand, they imported the JDM restricted model.

My bike is a California model which has just as tight emissions and noise regulations as Thailand, but it still makes 30 hp more.

there must be some financial reason it makes better sense to sell the restricted cbr 1000r to thailand instead of the european or USA spec because unrestricted

would sell better id imagine

why do they resrict a 250 d-tracker but not restrict a 250 cbr and a 250 ninja and a 250 tiger boxer ?

Did someone say 120hp.

Fail Honda, fail.

why ?

its not hondas fault their best bike has to be restricted for pollution and legal reasons in some countries

The FAIL is that Honda, Thailand is trying to sell the restricted Japanese spec CBR1000RR in Thailand for 100k Baht MORE than the cost of the US Spec CBR1000RR you can buy elsewhere...

elsewhere isnt thailand though ,the Op wanted a Proper honda warranty and a non -imported l thai bike and be able to take advantage of the new big wing centre

Elsewhere IS Thailand- you can buy a US Spec CBR1000RR for around 700k Baht NEW from importers such as Red Baron and 59 Bike.

No idea what you're trying to say here: "a non -imported l thai bike"

I'm not dissing the OP's decision to buy the Honda, Thailand bike- he's been very clear that he wants a Honda warranty and Honda service and that he doesn't care about the restriction- therefore his purchase makes perfect sense.

I'm just pointing out that you can get the US Spec CBR1000RR for less.

And FYI, the other supersports sold in Thailand are all FULL POWER- Suzuki's GSXR1000, Yamaha's R1 and BMW's S1000RR are all full power models here in Thailand. Kawasaki's ZX10R failed miserably because they chose to sell the restricted version. I rather suspect Honda, Thailand will experience equally poor sales with their overpriced and restricted Honda CBR1000RR. It's a great bike, but 799k Baht is a bit of a piss take for a 120Hp "superbike"...

Edited by BigBikeBKK

there must be some financial reason it makes better sense to sell the restricted cbr 1000r to thailand instead of the european or USA spec because unrestricted

why do they resrict a 250 d-tracker but not restrict a 250 cbr and a 250 ninja and a 250 tiger boxer ?

Emissions silly rolleyes.gif

Emissions silly rolleyes.gif

so a litre bike doesnt emit more pollutions than a meagre 250 ? coffee1.gif

i know you will never understand this but a grey import is a grey import ,ie. not everybody wants to down that route

the full spec cbr 1000rr is NOT available from honda thailand

regardless of 59 bike being able to accquire one from another country or not licklips.gif

Elsewhere IS Thailand- you can buy a US Spec CBR1000RR for around 700k Baht NEW from importers such as Red Baron and 59 Bike.

I'm not dissing the OP's decision to buy the Honda, Thailand bike- he's been very clear that he wants a Honda warranty and Honda service and that he doesn't care about the restriction- therefore his purchase makes perfect sense.

And FYI, the other supersports sold in Thailand are all FULL POWER- Suzuki's GSXR1000, Yamaha's R1 and BMW's S1000RR are all full power models here in Thailand. Kawasaki's ZX10R failed miserably because they chose to sell the restricted version. I rather suspect Honda, Thailand will experience equally poor sales with their overpriced and restricted Honda CBR1000RR. It's a great bike, but 799k Baht is a bit of a piss take for a 120Hp "superbike"...

Elsewhere your right, what wana thinks I guess is like a lot of Thai bike shops they get a container full of bits and throw em together.

I also wouldn't knock the OP guy for buying from Honda main dealer either as of what he states.

Even so myself, would go the way bike & book from say Red-baron for the simple reason that the two Blades I had were never a problem so warranty and Honda service wouldn't interest me.

Edited by Kwasaki

Elsewhere your right, what wana thinks I guess is like a lot of Thai bike shops they get a container full of bits and throw em together.

I also wouldn't knock the OP guy for buying from Honda main dealer either as of what he states.

Even so myself, would go the way bike & book from say Red-baron for the simple reason that the two Blades I had were never a problem so warranty and Honda service wouldn't interest me.

i would probably buy that lovely second hand one from 2008 as well in red/silver :) but there is some comfort knowing that Honda Thailand will take care of any shit that happens for their own vehicle

how many people would buy a new ferrari or a lamborghini import from italy if it was sold as seen ? without any warranty or backup from ferrrari in thailand

probably not too many id guess

i would probably buy that lovely second hand one from 2008 as well in red/silver smile.png but there is some comfort knowing that Honda Thailand will take care of any shit that happens for their own vehicle

how many people would buy a new ferrari or a lamborghini import from italy if it was sold as seen ? without any warranty or backup from ferrrari in thailand

I understand some peoples worries if they don't know much about bikes but wouldn't hesitate to tell you to buy the 2008 CBR bike with genuine green book, if you like it, same goes for GSXR, R1, ZXR, what goes wrong with them during a warranty that wouldn't be down to the owner. ?

You miss my point there's no need of Honda comfort, 900, 900 ('95) , 918, 926, 954, 998 blades never have had any real issues only the owners. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

i would probably buy that lovely second hand one from 2008 as well in red/silver smile.png but there is some comfort knowing that Honda Thailand will take care of any shit that happens for their own vehicle

I understand some peoples worries if they don't know much about bikes but wouldn't hesitate to tell you to buy the 2008 CBR bike with genuine green book, if you like it, same goes for GSXR, R1, ZXR, what goes wrong with them during a warranty that wouldn't be down to the owner. ?

You miss my point there's no need of Honda comfort, 900, 900 ('95) , 918, 926, 954, 998 blades never have had any real issues only the owners. biggrin.png

probably nothing will break inside warranty except consumables ,but every once in a while you do get a new item thats just got problems from the get go

even the best manufactures occasionally send out a bad unit and it s nice to be covered if you get one of "those dodgy gearboxes or engines "

saying that though ,i would love the 2008 red /silver from red baron

that colour is really striking but the extra HP over the thai version wouldnt make a huge differnce to the way i ride on the roads i ride on now smile.png

Edited by wana

08CBR1000RR chasing 08CBR1000RR

P.S The gearing has been changed to 15/47 on my bike so the Speedo is about 20% off....Top speed down the straight is 230km/hr by GPS.

My Tiger tops out at 245kmh easy. smile.png

At BIRA? thats a little funny

Do you really think Honda would be THAT stupid?

...oh wait, it's AP Honda we're talking about...th_smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

For once i agree wholeheartedly with tony on this one, i didn`t want a cut down superbike at that price..

I thought long and hard about the suzuki gxr 1000, but went for a 6 month S1000rr , 18 months BMW warranty and the same price as the Honda , but with the full 193 hp....i was thinking of the resale value also...Sorry, but i couldn`t deal with a 120hp superbike, it`s bad enough when i put the S1000rr onto rain mode and that`s 150hp...

BUT hey,, that honda looks real nice and it`s entirely up to the OP...enjoy it sir as you see fit..

that colour is really striking but the extra HP over the thai version wouldnt make a huge differnce to the way i ride on the roads i ride on now smile.png

Change the handlebars and you will be doing this in no time. laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Sorry, but i couldn`t deal with a 120hp superbike, it`s bad enough when i put the S1000rr onto rain mode and that`s 150hp...

And did you jump from 23HP 250cc straight to that?

I personally think it's a great step, if not slightly large.

Keep it restricted at 120hp until the warranty runs out after a few years, and then if you feel you want it even more powerful, and that you can handle it, get it derestricted.

Sure those who are experienced liter bike riders and racers won't be interested in this progression... but I think it's a good way to step up for those who aren't experienced 150HP+ sport's bike riders... which last time I checked, wasn't a crime.

^Agreed 120hp is way more than enough for a first big bike, especially in Thailand. It can be de-restricted later. Personally I would rather spend an extra 100,000 thb for a new officially imported bike for which I can get dealer support for too, as long as it wasn't going to be ridiculously costly to de-restrict in the future.

Edited by madjbs

Change the handlebars and you will be doing this in no time. laugh.png

i doubt the op would let me borrow his new bike to try that on ,amazing skill though :)

^Agreed 120hp is way more than enough for a first big bike, especially in Thailand. It can be de-restricted later. Personally I would rather spend an extra 100,000 thb for a new officially imported bike for which I can get dealer support for too, as long as it wasn't going to be ridiculously costly to de-restrict in the future.

I've checked to see how much it would be to de-restrict an 08CBR1000RR with Red Barron and was told that it would be 100,000Baht+. Lets also remember that the spec states 118hp (crank) for japan spec and 178HP (full spec) for the 08-11 model which i believe is the same as the new 2012 version. So you're probably looking at about the same as a CBR600 which is a good jump from the CBR250 but still a pain in the ass to de-restrict when you get sick of 600cc bikes blowing by you. One day at the track and you'll wish you got full spec.

I've checked to see how much it would be to de-restrict an 08CBR1000RR with Red Barron and was told that it would be 100,000Baht+. Lets also remember that the spec states 118hp (crank) for japan spec and 178HP (full spec) for the 08-11 model which i believe is the same as the new 2012 version. So you're probably looking at about the same as a CBR600 which is a good jump from the CBR250 but still a pain in the ass to de-restrict when you get sick of 600cc bikes blowing by you. One day at the track and you'll wish you got full spec.

Heh heh, so dude, I gotta ask, how you liking the CB'r' 250?

Heh heh, so dude, I gotta ask, how are you enjoying the CB'r' 250 at the track? hit-the-fan.gif

Well OP if you need help getting US spec parts to deristrict the bike, I certainly can help out. If the wiring harness is the same as the 2008 to 2011 you could pick up a used one on ebay and and ECU and bring to Thailand.

Here's a 2008 to 2011 harness:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19cd861e86

here's an ECU

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a192e667d

Any idea what the total cost is for derestriction? I'm going to do it for sure when the warranty is up. Thanks.

How much of that 100,000 do you think is labor? Would using used parts reduce the price much? Thanks.

118 at the crank? I was guessing it was rear wheel. That's about 15 less than a 2011 gsxr 600 which is 30 kg lighter and 250,000 baht cheaper. I know the warranty gives peace of mind but I'd be putting the change in the bank for repairs that are probably never going to be needed.

Even restricted doesn't it still have a lot more torque than the average 600cc? The acceleration should still be there.

Heh heh, so dude, I gotta ask, how are you enjoying the CB'r' 250 at the track? hit-the-fan.gif

Alot needs to be done with the little CBR250 to make it quick at the track, but i think it has help me drop my laptimes on the Superbike. I'll be taking it down to BIRA on saturday if you're around. I'll be trying some new gearing out and some more suspension upgrades, hopefully i'll drop a couple more seconds if i can get it right...Lapping at 1:16s on it now.

Even restricted doesn't it still have a lot more torque than the average 600cc? The acceleration should still be there.

You're right, the torque will be a lot better than a 600. Maybe 30 % better. Be good to see the figures for the Jap spec. Roll-on figures should still be pretty good.

How much of that 100,000 do you think is labor? Would using used parts reduce the price much? Thanks.

I would guess not much of it is actually labor. Used parts should drop the price, once the bike is out for a few months there should be more info on the web if they're is any differences then the 08-11 model.

Yes you can feel the difference but keeping up is another thing and what roads you are on.

The CBR1000F which was restricted at the time in UK to 100bhp could blow away any 600, except in lots of bendy bits. cool.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I would guess not much of it is actually labor. Used parts should drop the price, once the bike is out for a few months there should be more info on the web if they're is any differences then the 08-11 model.

Thanks for that. I just found this website: http://www.moto-works.jp/products/power_converters.html Surely it can't be as easy as popping one of these on.