My First Laos Visa Trip, Vientiane. Anything I Should Know?

AS of this date I wouldn't suggest coming to VTE for a Thai Visa. The Laos Visa people are wonderful, but if you are single male unattached male, look out.

I live in Lao and was going to come for a vacation in Thailand for a couple of months.. Spent two days at the Thai consulate, paid 1000 TB. When I stopped at the border the immigration official gave me 15 days although it said on the board I was to get a 60 day visa. Since the 15 expired on January 2, everything was booked, planes, trains, buses. I was really upset. I got to spend 2 days in Thiland. What a waste of time and money.

My suggestion:

Come into Vientiane on the train, and fly back to Thailand on Lao Central Airlines, you'll get 30 days at the airport, then take the airport shuttle to Don Muang and take Nok Air to Chaing Mai--they now have 6 flights a day.

Better yet go to Cambodia or Myanmar.

Hi,

i am preparing to leave in couple of days for Vientiene, and these posts helped a lot. Thanks to everyone...

Anyway any suggestions for the guest house. and the most important thing anyone knows when the embassy starts to work after new years eve from Jan 2013. ii am still in doubt when to leave because i have no idea when they will start working in Jan. I checked on their web site but i couldnt find anything... little help is appreciated a lot..

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/embassy/embassy_time/index.php?month=12&year=2012&bxajaxid=&bxajaxid=

looks like it's just closed on new years eve ?

if your just after a cheap place to stay in a good location try mixay guest house, prices start at 60,000 kip or you can pay in baht.

it's quite a long walk from the thai consulate .

what are your plans ?

mapofvientiane.jpg

here's the cheapest you can do it realistically : :

1800 baht for return bus cm to udon thani (20:30)

35 baht for bus to nong khai,

40 baht tuk tuk to border,

15 baht bus accross bridge,

35 $ loas visa on arrival,

150 baht taxi to embassy,

double tourist visa 2000 baht,

walk to hotel,

hotel 60,000 kip,

walk to embassy to collect visa,

walk to bus station,

bus vientiane to udon city center 22,000 kip (14:00, 15:00 or 16:30)

tuk tuk to outer bus station 100 baht,

i take the night bus now because i can sleep ok on it and i know i can make the embassy before it closes, if it's your first time maybe better to fly to udon thani and get the transfer for 200 baht to the border,

coming back is quite easy if you already have a bus ticket back to chiang mai you can take your time.

My trip was a little different to yours, will post the figures out of interest

490bht...one way mochit2 to Nong khai

100bht...took took to border

20bht...bus to bridge

1300bht...Lao visa

350bht...Driver tout (offered ride to embassy,waited, and then drive to find hotel..went to 2 hotels as the first wasn't up to my like)

2000bht...Thai visa

500bht...Hotel

700bht...Bus from Vientiane to BK

I guess i could have saved a little, for example if didnt get the tout, 350bht maybe a bit much but being very tired i wasnt to bothered with this amount.

After a good sleep, next day walked to Thai embassy from Hotel (not to far) and then to the mall (to buy for 20 baht dvds and buegettes) and then had a beer and got bus from the riverside...i went to same nice aircon travel shop across from park as i did 2 year ago, same woman and same price 700baht to Bangkok

So, I didnt have to much trouble with this, although notice the visa van service does not cost much more than this if you cannot be fussed to go yourself.