Reentry Questions

seeker108

Hi All, after 5 years away I am finally returning to CM next week. Would love to start to get a feel for how things have changed over the years. Any input would be appreciated. For example what should I expect to pay for a taxi from the airport to Nimanhaeman area at 11 PM. Other than here on this forum what sites are good for finding long term housing, buying things like a car, etc. How about the best way for finding a full time housekeeper? Or maybe more importantly a private duty nurse? Any more organic veggie markets besides the one at the university ag area near Nimanhaemin? Is that still operating and what day or days and hours? A hundred other questions, that I am sure I have not yet thought of. Look forward to getting back and connecting with old friends. Ah, the excitement of exploring it all again! :-)

The taxi place that has a sign saying 120 Baht to downtown is best. I don't know but I'm guessing Nimmy would be about 160 Baht, others might know. Nice air conditioned cars.

.........oh, after 5 years you will notice how pretentious Nimmy has become. biggrin.png

The taxi place that has a sign saying 120 Baht to downtown is best. I don't know but I'm guessing Nimmy would be about 160 Baht, others might know. Nice air conditioned cars.

.........oh, after 5 years you will notice how pretentious Nimmy has become. biggrin.png

I used that taxi serice for a while (weekly trips at least CM to Bkk for about one year), at first they were good then suddenly i got '''told''' (abruptly and no listenign) that it doesn't go as far as Don CHan area, when in fact Don Chan is much closer than the opposite extemities of the map of the 120 area.

I then went to the AOT counter in the next booth, sure 120Baht, and very polite and good service all round.

map they have

thai food at least 50% more expensive. sunday market has at least doubled in size.

tons of renovation. the sidewalks along the moat are now concrete instead of brick.

u will be arrested if u play music in a bar.

new huge shopping mall being put up near big c.

no more drinking outside establishments during songkran.

traffic is now far worse than it was.

last but not least off the top of my head, spicy is now in a new location and the local residents have put up signs claiming chiang moi will be same same loi kroh because of it.

Thanks all for your posts and thanks to Onthedarkside for the title correction. Yes, even 5 years ago Nimmy was becoming "upscale". I just hope my favorite little hole in the wall Thai restaurant with no name still exists (big sign out front only said "Organic"). Located on the soi with no number (near the 7/11 across from soi 13 or 11). And hopefully Khun Churn is still as good as before. Fortunately I still have local friends in Siri Mankalajarn section who rent me a clean, simple room in their home for a nominal amount while I scope out getting my own place. So that at least keeps the budget under control.

Though otherwise I suppose I will be in for some "sticker" shock as many things have gone up 50% and there is another 30% increase built in because of the exchange rate. Still more reasonable than US or Europe and (IMO anyway) both more charming and entertaining in many ways as well. But all places have pluses and minuses and everyone has differing tastes in what they like anyway.

Unfortunate about the traffic, though after Bali I suspect it will not seem too bad to me. :-)

Thanks again all! Now if anyone has any contacts at the university medical school so I can find a nurse who might be interested in natural, alternative health care life will be perfect. :-)