Valentine's Day Curfew For Teenagers And Kids: Thailand

webfact

Valentine's Day curfew for kids

THE NATION

30175472-01_big.JPG

Police to round up under-18s found in public places after 10pm

BANGKOK: -- With the festival of love nearly upon us, police are asking for parental cooperation in not letting those under the age of 18 wander outside after 10pm on Valentine’s Day.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Maj-General Piya Uthayo yesterday said the national police chief was worried about youths acting inappropriately, taking drugs or engaging in other forms of vice on the day, hence police would be dispatched to patrol public parks, theatres, karaoke bars, night venues, dormitories, apartments and hotels.

In particular, they ask for parents to keep their youths at home after 10pm on February 14.

If police find anyone under 18 outside after this time, they will be brought to police stations for their parents to pick them up, he added.

Intending also to ask night-entertainment venues not to allow the under-aged to enter their premises, with the concomittant risk that they could engage in sexual activity, police will ensure the venues do not stay open later than what the law allows, or else they could face temporary closure, Piya said.

Police will also punish shops that sell alcohol to under-aged persons, and will set up checkpoints to stop drunk and/or reckless riders.

Moreover, they will seek the public's cooperation, especially women, who are asked not to wear racy clothes or high-value ornaments, which could put them at risk because criminals will take advantage of large crowds on the day.

Meanwhile, Wat Pa Salawan in Nakhon Ratchasima's Muang district is inviting 1,000 couples to pray overnight on Tuesday.

Deputy abbot Phra Maha Jirawat Jirawattano said the temple was trying to turn the occasion away from one of notoriety, with teenagers having sex and spending superfluously, by promoting moral values and merit-making instead.

Prayers, mediation, love-related sermons and a discussion will be held from 6pm to 1.30am. For details and to reserve a place, call (044) 277255.

Muang Nakhon Ratchasima district and The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima will also host a Valentine's Day celebration by having 55 couples register their marriages, with each couple receiving Bt200,000 in life insurance and a pair of kissing fish.

Chon Buri's Sattahip district chief Chaicharn Eiamcharoen has invited Thai and foreign couples to register their marriages on the back of an elephant in the beautiful gardens of Suan Nong Nuch Pattaya. One hundred couples are expected to attend this annual activity, which will involve Suan Nong Nuch's 42 elephants.

Meanwhile, the price of Valentine's Day's symbolic flower, the rose, faces a hike to Bt25-Bt30 per Grade-A long-stemmed flower, while general rose prices have increased from Bt1 to Bt5 per stem, said Chiang Mai Rose Growers' Group chairman Uthit Anuwat.

In Ranong's Muang district, vendors have seen prices soar from Bt1-Bt2 to Bt7-Bt8 for small roses, and from Bt6-Bt7 to Bt15-Bt18 for big roses.Reports of a shortage due to high demand for event decoration and Valentine gifts resulted in the district's vendors ordering roses early this month and keeping them in a freezer room or icy water.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-09

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me, and I'm trying not to be too critical, that the police pick one day to show face when all the things they mention in the article should be done on a daily basis. Face saving and looking good springs to mind here.

Edited by metisdead
Font
  • Like 1

What a total joke. If it is lawful for the police to enforce these rules on Val Day, then it is lawful every other day. Do they do it. No sir. Just another PR exercise.

Dont they come up with this sort of cr*p every year...followed up with similar things around Songkran ?

• Like 1

What a load of utter crap!

The kids can engage in sexual activity at any time of the day, and not just after 10pm!!!

i have not read so much rubbish in a very long time

but the BIB do wear brown shirts, albeit without the peace sign motif

Edited by yumidesign

What a load of utter crap!

The kids can engage in sexual activity at any time of the day, and not just after 10pm!!!

Another load of rubbish, Nana area Bkk will be swamped with kids selling roses, gangs bring the kids by thr truck load. How about getting rid of all the African crack dealers at the same time who ply Nana have even seen them dealing in front of Robinsons Soi 19 area

• Like 2

Drat it all, I see they included "karaoke bars" this time.

They did not on the previous article, they must have read my post.

I see the BIB missed the Karaoke Booths. hehehe

Edited by wxyz

Obviously the BIB want to be there for the opportunity to participate in some gang love.

One would not think there would be any of this going on or even rape with the following statistic.

"In Thailand, for instance, a survey in 1990 found that 75 percent of Thai men had had sex with child prostitutes"

http://www.psychohis...6a1_incest.html

Edited by wxyz

It seems to me, and I'm trying not to be too critical, that the police pick one day to show face when all the things they mention in the article should be done on a daily basis. Face saving and looking good springs to mind here.

Go ahead and be critical because you're absolutely right...all those things in the article should be done on a daily basis not just one day a year....they only do it once a year because the rest of the year they're too busy going around gettting the tea money for not doing it......lazy and corrupt BIBs...the worst of Thailand next to Thaksin who also used to be one...

"Maj-General Piya Uthayo yesterday said the national police chief was worried about youths acting inappropriately, taking drugs or engaging in other forms of vice on the day..."

Than god it is only youths doing illegal and inappropriate things only on Valentine's day. Get things under control for that one day and Thailand will be a crime-free nation....Or...am I missing something here?rolleyes.gif

Police to round up under-18s found in public places after 10pm

Hail brown red democracy!!

I always thought that it is MY business (as a parent) to control my kids. Now I am enlighted: it is a true police's job. Not gangs, not thieves, not killers etc - but the kids after 10pm.

Idiotic. Simply idiotic.

"Muang Nakhon Ratchasima district and The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima will also host a Valentine's Day celebration by having 55 couples register their marriages, with each couple receiving Bt200,000 in life insurance and a pair of kissing fish."

Will PM clone be registering her marriage NOW?

Edited by wxyz

not letting those under the age of 18 wander outside after 10pm on Valentine’s Day.

Just curious....What if they will NOT cooperate, and STILL be outside after 10pm?

Will BIBs grab and lock'em all into the cells, or what? Is it a crime, or what? Is it a curfew hours currently active in Bkk, or what the hell they are going to implement by this??

Go ahead and be critical because you're absolutely right...all those things in the article should be done on a daily basis not just one day a year....they only do it once a year because the rest of the year they're too busy going around gettting the tea money for not doing it......lazy and corrupt BIBs...the worst of Thailand next to Thaksin who also used to be one...

<deleted>? Why on earth would you think that? What's wrong with teenagers having sex with each other? Let 'em at it, just teach 'em to do it safely that's all.

Absolutely impossible to actually stop them anyway, total waste of resources, it's only the religious fringe and westernized elite that were ever touched by the Christian/Victorian bugaboo against sex anyway, the common people are still regularly getting married and having babies at 14-15 just as they have for centuries.

• Like 1