New Requirement, Must Show 20,000 Baht To Get Visa.

A friend of mine is on a visa run. Applied for the visa, but when he went to pick it up, they asked for proof that he had 20,000 on hand or in an account. He did not have proof with him, so they sent him away said to come back with proof and they would issue visa Monday. They told him this is a new requirement.

There is an Official Immigration sign in English to this effect at the entry point Mae Sia as you enter from Burma.

I have never been asked in many visits(perhaps they know they cannot send you back on these day trip borders)

In 20 years I have never met any one asked though have heard of it.

Id guess a credit card or travellers cheques will do ,Really if you do not have 20k what are you doing here anyway?

I've never been asked for proof of finances but I generally take a printout along with me, just in case. I don't know that it's a new requirement, really, but it seems they asked for it in your friends case. Does he look broke and destitute? Can he just go to a internet shop and print a bank statement? 20,000 baht is only about $650US.

Edited by Jawnie

This law is not new but as mentioned can be enforced upon the discretio of the officer. All he needs to do is go to an ATM and get a print out of his balance and that is enough.

As stated the law is not new it's just not being enforced. If you happen to get an IMO that got up on the wrong side of the bed you could be in trouble. Here's a quote from the MFA reglations regarding visa exempt entries:

Quote from MFA Regulations

Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country.