Weekly Allowance

WinnieTheKhwai

unfortunately my wife's radar has a world wide radius and if I was lookin' to get into the pants of a woman on the next planet she would then be informed...never seen nothing like it...

Nothing special, they all have it....coffee1.gif

Just because they walk on two legs and speak like us doesn't mean they're the same spieces...................

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter and I live on roughly 12.000 baht a month. That"s with everything else paid. I drink maybe 3 or 4 nights aweek. Always shops and never bars and I don"t fornicate with members of the oppisite sex . Eating in Phuket Town is a 3rd of what it would cost me where I live. I find cooking for freinds to be most cost effective thing I do. Learn to cook and let them bring the beer. And perhaps a girlfreind to help wash up. In your case not needed.MORE BEER, THEN.

Do you, therefore, fornicate with members (as in people) of the same sex?

Edited by blazes

If drinking is a waste of money, you aren't doing it correctly.

Practice makes perfect. Rather hard to do on 700 baht per week though.

Ugh.. it turns out it's much easier than I thought.. It's 2am, just got home.. started the night at 6:30 with 408 baht and 50 satang. But it was good. And amazing; early on a girl asks for a drink, claims it's only 50 baht (?!) so I give her 50 baht, she scurries off to some shop and comes back with *two* BIG bottles of Leo Beer.. don't know how that's even possible; others must have chipped in. They then semi-hide the bottles and several come by every now and then to fill up their glasses.. I felt like Jesus feeding the many.

Next bar; crazy blonde girl asks for drink. I take the bottle of "Red Bull" that I brought out of my pocket and put it in front of her. She's now slightly disappointed it's not a 120 baht lady drink but decides something is better than nothing, gets a big glass with ice for herself and almost poors the whole bottle in her glass but I just manage to ask her "Are you sure that's Red Bull?" (The bottle is full of Sang Som).. I wonder if I'm in trouble, she thinks 2 seconds then gives me a big hug and proceeds to poor damned near half her glass full of the stuff and tops it up with some water from a nearby ice bucket. Good girl!! Likes her drink.

Then met some friends and ended up in a local pub a bit out of the city center. Good band, beer & whisky chicks and waitresses in traditional Lanna Thai inspired (but skimpy) dresses.

Is this for real? Do people actually live like this?

i have fixed costs of 12,000 budget on 50,000 per month as a single guy. most drinking is done at a couple of mini marts with tables and chairs + fans outside, reason i go there is there is always a good bunch of expats no matter what time i go. the localbars charging 35-40 baht more are always empty .i am single but dont use services of ladies accept the one's off my beloved date site who pop down for a few days, do the washing, ironing cleaning and other issentials for the price of the bus fare here, usually i over pay and give 500 baht for the bus.

seeing what some of you guys spend makes me thnk i should check where it goes, even the big spends like car insurance and flights go on c/c and dont come out of that spend.

guess the average non working wife / girlfriend will cost best part of 10-12k. thats an awful lot of 500 baht bus fares, and even more san migs.

those of you making cut backs i would sooner be a poorper here than a rich man in the UK

I can't believe someone would advertise being a tightwad like this and actually want to boast about it...

• Like 1

i give my wife 15 000 bht /month (3750bht/week)

this is her spending money,so she dont have to beg for monney every day.

clothes ,food,benzine,gas electric....restaurants,bars.....is for me .

I do this because i dont want her to work ,she has to take care of the 2 children (2 and 3 y)and i mean

every minute of the day,and 500 bht /day is a super cheap price !(yes call me a cheap Charly)

We go out eating every day,have a drink on a terras.......this costs me 1500 bht /evening

wich is very cheap compared with europe ( there it would cost me 5000bht /evening)

my total cost is about 100 000bht a month,for this we live like in paradise ,as i wouldn't want less,we only live ones !

When i read this topic,700 bht/week.....i cant understand people want to discuss this.....it's hilarius!

I know the are some poor people on a low budget ,walking arround in Thailand,hopping from balloon -bar to balloon-bar,

just to have some decent food and waiting for the bell to ring .....going home with a 30 bht bill from a soda water !

I understand why they do this.....but i dont understand that people are not asschamed by this and even discuss their tightness !?

That is probably the reason that normal bars are empty and litlle shop-bars are doing good business?

I wonder what the percentage of these cheap Charly's is ?

Probably more than 50%

I dont want to offend anyboddy,i'm just wandering.

And I'm wondering why someone admits to paying his wife, still it takes all sorts.

That would be called honesty.....

Quite refreshing i think, as opposed to the majority of posters who claim they have Thai/chin wife, paid zero sinsod, wife with university honours and works in international company, thai family gave them a house and 500k as wedding present....

bla bla bla

• Like 1

What do you guys get / spend as an allowance for this sort of stuff? I do want to make an effort because my spending was creeping up, often spending 2000 baht in a single week just on eating and drinking.

i'm not sure how much allowance i get as i never count it. important is that i know where my wife keeps the money from which i draw my allowance.

• Like 1

If drinking is a waste of money, you aren't doing it correctly.

Practice makes perfect. Rather hard to do on 700 baht per week though.

Ugh.. it turns out it's much easier than I thought.. It's 2am, just got home.. started the night at 6:30 with 408 baht and 50 satang. But it was good. And amazing; early on a girl asks for a drink, claims it's only 50 baht (?!) so I give her 50 baht, she scurries off to some shop and comes back with *two* BIG bottles of Leo Beer.. don't know how that's even possible; others must have chipped in. They then semi-hide the bottles and several come by every now and then to fill up their glasses.. I felt like Jesus feeding the many.

Next bar; crazy blonde girl asks for drink. I take the bottle of "Red Bull" that I brought out of my pocket and put it in front of her. She's now slightly disappointed it's not a 120 baht lady drink but decides something is better than nothing, gets a big glass with ice for herself and almost poors the whole bottle in her glass but I just manage to ask her "Are you sure that's Red Bull?" (The bottle is full of Sang Som).. I wonder if I'm in trouble, she thinks 2 seconds then gives me a big hug and proceeds to poor damned near half her glass full of the stuff and tops it up with some water from a nearby ice bucket. Good girl!! Likes her drink.

Then met some friends and ended up in a local pub a bit out of the city center. Good band, beer & whisky chicks and waitresses in traditional Lanna Thai inspired (but skimpy) dresses.

no the op is a attention seeker,and needs post like this to feed his ego,plus he is trying to get on a par with ian.

before I became an engineer and had money to spend when a student and with my former partner footing the bills (her folks supported her financially to go to school that supported the both of us studying and she controlled the money) we useta play 'cat and mouse' with the money stash when I wanted a fiver for a sixpack of tall buds...it was good natured until my drinking got worse and then it became annoying...

and, now I want someone to declare: 'tutsi, you should be flogged for the pain that you caused that girl, someone that truely loved you and to whom you caused unmeasurable misery and suffering...'...flogging is too kind...I should've been stretched on the rack or otherwise have had some badasses 'get mideaval on my ass...' and that was before 'Pulp Fiction' was a twinkle in Taratino's eye...

yeah...I sorta like the wig and the black robe aspect, sitting in the dock at court and with objectionable dickensian types pointing fingers...'but sir...I am tutsiwarrior and I represent Everyman, and when you condemn me you condemn etc, etc...'

'silence!...you filth!...'

then Marlon Brando as Col. Kurtz emerges from the shadows with his 'you may condemn me and sit in judgement...' soliloquy and the house is brought down with shouts of 'ludicrous judicial monsters!' and 'leave tutsiwarrior alone!...'

and all over a sixpack of tall buds...someone get to work and draft the film treatment now...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

And I'm wondering why someone admits to paying his wife, still it takes all sorts.

What is wrong with giving an allowance to your wife? She looks after his kids and is a full time mum. Even in the UK when I was a kid, my mum worked in the local supermarket and dad worked full time in London. He would give my Mum house-keeping money every month, what is the difference?

I am sure a lot of women would say that being a mum and looking after 2 young kids IS a job!

If the poster can afford it, why not, up to him.

What is wrong with giving an allowance to your wife? She looks after his kids and is a full time mum. Even in the UK when I was a kid, my mum worked in the local supermarket and dad worked full time in London. He would give my Mum house-keeping money every month, what is the difference?

I am sure a lot of women would say that being a mum and looking after 2 young kids IS a job!

I think the Op meant allowance for his weekly spendings. Not that I think he has any problems with this. tongue.png

I know it's hard to believe until people actually get to Thailand and hit the bars, but yes, Thailand really is this easy-going when it comes to a night out. Just be kind, fun and respectful all the way.

Someone mentioned balloon-chasers earlier; I don't do that. If a bar that I normally never set foot into has a party then I'm not suddenly going in on a night they have a party and free stuff; that wouldn't be proper. And besides those pubs tend to have too many people at those times, with all staff running around serving drinks instead of having some time for some chat & banter.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This would be like having a live-in maid, no?

• Like 1

BTW, I also followed up on some of the suggestions earlier in this topic. With some really remarkable results. For example a suggestion was to order a bottle + mixers at the bar. I asked at one of the places that is very popular, but also charges the most for spirits by the glass. So I asked what a big bottle of Sang Som with mixers would cost... Wait for it... e i g h t h u n d r e d b a h t was the answer. I couldn't help laughing out loud. (Of course at other bars this may be a less stratospheric number, but keeping a bottle would really be the most useful at places that are both popular and expensive by the glass.) So this wasn't really a feasible solution for this particular place.

But, there were happier surprises too.. There is another bar that manages to charge a whopping 80 baht for a Sang Som and Coke. I've mentioned to the owner and staff that this is well above the average, and that also a happy hour might work, which places nearby do with prices for the same drink at 40 and 50 baht. So anyway, I order a can of coke zero.. Guess the price... 30 baht. :blink: So that's LOWER than at other bars, who typically still charge 40. So this seems to be a place that just doesn't really understand the cost of things: their cost for a can of Coke zero is about 12 baht, but their cost for a Sang Som + mixer isn't all that much higher, yet for that one they want the jackpot. So anyway: a pleasant surprise. And I gave a big 25% tip when leaving; I don't want to appear tight.

Thanks..! I do know exactly how much I drink though; having only a couple hundred baht in your wallet does that for you. wink.png I did enter it though (site doens't allow regular small beer bottles as a size, only pint, half pint and really large cans.) Anyway, I still remember quite vividly I had 1 SangSom Coke-Light at 50 baht, 2 Sangsom -Coke-lights at 40 baht, (all three were double-shots) one Latte at 50 baht, one M-Sport bottle from 7-11 (10 baht), one small bottle of water (free from the gas station and and one Small Leo Beer at 70 baht. (Spendy, I know, but it's a good bar. ) I also spent 20 baht on tips, so for a total of 280 baht.

Large bottle of Hong Thong with mixers and a big Coke, 400bht.

Four of us can have a good night out on that, and listen to a live Carabao band all evening.

Costs more if you want food and girls though (Full moon wine coolers 125bht for 3 bottles).

I'll take you there Friday night!

You gotta break away from the Number 1 Bar.

There have been a few threads already on this board about barowners which were asking if they should allow customers who sit at a table watching the whole football game while ordering one drink.

Now I know who they were talking about.

Four of us can have a good night out on that, and listen to a live Carabao band all evening.

Do you realize that it wouold be half a "ban"/person for a "good night" out. Sounds more like a 1 hour chat with with friends, and then head back home. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

i have fixed costs of 12,000 budget on 50,000 per month as a single guy. most drinking is done at a couple of mini marts with tables and chairs + fans outside, reason i go there is there is always a good bunch of expats no matter what time i go. the localbars charging 35-40 baht more are always empty .i am single but dont use services of ladies accept the one's off my beloved date site who pop down for a few days, do the washing, ironing cleaning and other issentials for the price of the bus fare here, usually i over pay and give 500 baht for the bus.

seeing what some of you guys spend makes me thnk i should check where it goes, even the big spends like car insurance and flights go on c/c and dont come out of that spend.

guess the average non working wife / girlfriend will cost best part of 10-12k. thats an awful lot of 500 baht bus fares, and even more san migs.

those of you making cut backs i would sooner be a poorper here than a rich man in the UK

I can't believe someone would advertise being a tightwad like this and actually want to boast about it...

No need to shout not nettiquette, i was just answering the question on how to make savings, dont get your point, have you ever offered money to a non prostitute who slept the night, obviously not other wise you would know to say and here's 1000 baht extra as a sort of tip would get you a smack in the mouth, offering to pay the expenses of the trip is delicate enough on its own. they all invite them selves down i never ask.

i am not adverting anything just contibuting to the thread on how my budget, goes and how savings are made.

could you also clarify what you consider boasting?

ah just read your other posts, shouting and just makeing one line snidey comments is your contibution to the thread, another keyboard warrior hell bent on preventing people posting.

Edited by marstons

There have been a few threads already on this board about barowners which were asking if they should allow customers who sit at a table watching the whole football game while ordering one drink.

Not me anyway; I can watch football at home. Citeh is up later tonight. And I'm baking bread for tomorrow.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Wow 800฿ for a big bottle of sang som, you living in a tourist area? Or going to a fancy bar/nightclub?

Most bars I goto a bottle of sang som is less than half that, with soda around 15-20 baht. 1 bottle (usually 2 nights worth) plus soda and 2x days worth of ice buffets will usually set me back less than 700, would maybe even have enough left over for a beer (maybe even two) in a nightclub on one night after the regular bars close too

So my advice would be to check out other bars.

Sneak in a few shots of cheaper Thai whiskey. I have been in Thailand for almost a year and I haven't tried the 200 baht aged scotch until a few weeks ago. Honestly I really can't tell much difference between that and the expensive stuff. They have the rum too. Bring a flask in and when you go take a wizz grab a shot. The only way I would've saved more money in college is if I had tits.

I amnot sure of my weekly budget, but as a non drinker I am amazed to see how much cheaper it is for guys who do drink . If I go out for even one night, I usually stop at a few places for a coke or soda.I usually have 2 or three cokes or sodas at each place and buy the girls a drink or 2. It is hard to keep the tab under 700 baht at even one place I stop.

Even the guys who buy just mixers where I live, usually order 3 or 4 sets of mixers and ice with each bottle they drink. A set is 175 baht, for 3 cokes 2 sodas and ice. So 4 sets is 700 baht alone.

I consider myself a guy who watches his money but even for me 700 wouldnot make it through one day.

A family man may find a way but a single guy like me could never do it.

Thanks..! I do know exactly how much I drink though; having only a couple hundred baht in your wallet does that for you. wink.png I did enter it though (site doens't allow regular small beer bottles as a size, only pint, half pint and really large cans.) Anyway, I still remember quite vividly I had 1 SangSom Coke-Light at 50 baht, 2 Sangsom -Coke-lights at 40 baht, (all three were double-shots) one Latte at 50 baht, one M-Sport bottle from 7-11 (10 baht), one small bottle of water (free from the gas station and and one Small Leo Beer at 70 baht. (Spendy, I know, but it's a good bar. ) I also spent 20 baht on tips, so for a total of 280 baht.

Costs more if you want food and girls though (Full moon wine coolers 125bht for 3 bottles).

I'll take you there Friday night!

You gotta break away from the Number 1 Bar.

Well I did go out there Friday night.

2 large bottles of Hong Thong, 6 or 8 large bottles of coke, a big fish and a bowl of some soupy stuff and a few plates of rice.

Buckets of ice and a few sodas.

(and one of us came in with a 1/2 full bottle of Johnny Walker)

Just under 1,000bht split between 5 of us, and the waitress got plastered too.

The bar owner appears more than happy to have us there!

Edited by ludditeman

Due to some temporary high spending on an investment, we have to cut down on the weekly allowance for personal expenses, mostly food & beer.

Winnie. I must compliment you on this one. clap2.gif

It turns out tarts shouldn't be counted as food.

SC