Weekly Allowance

WinnieTheKhwai

Some of the rooms that some people live in would be rejected by any self respecting mongrel. Many people don't actually live here, they exist here.

I agree with this. I am often amazed at the living conditions of some farangs in Thailand. One often sees 50-60 year old men living in a single room.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This comment is not aimed at anyone posting on this topic and in particular it is not aimed at the OP. People seem to have over-looked that the OP is strapped for cash because he has made an investment for his future, I would call that normal behaviour.

Not sure that buying a house in a Thai wifes name can be considered an investment.

(Unless you are one of those people who consider betting on the horses an investment)

He said his wife made the investment if I recall.

Now this is the wife controlling how much allowance you get? That is not quite the same thing at all. It makes you sound like some child given pocket money each week.

That is a sad stae of affairs in my opinion.

Do you not have your own finances?

I wonder what wife's poor brother and father's allowance is?

Don't have either of those.. Do have a daughter, but she's on a manageable 50 baht a week.

Some of the rooms that some people live in would be rejected by any self respecting mongrel. Many people don't actually live here, they exist here.

I agree with this. I am often amazed at the living conditions of some farangs in Thailand. One often sees 50-60 year old men living in a single room.

It's actually quite the challenge to be in more than one room at the same time. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This comment is not aimed at anyone posting on this topic and in particular it is not aimed at the OP. People seem to have over-looked that the OP is strapped for cash because he has made an investment for his future, I would call that normal behaviour.

Not sure that buying a house in a Thai wifes name can be considered an investment.

(Unless you are one of those people who consider betting on the horses an investment)

He said his wife made the investment if I recall.

Right. We're going to be jointly paying for it though, like every other expense. This likely won't be an issue in about a year or so when she's back to making >40K a month, but it's a bit tight for the time being. And even in my own mind I'm having trouble turning 'bars, girls & nightlife' into an essential expense; hence the cut-backs. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am living in a town house but if i were to live in the middle of the city id consider a single room. It would save a lot and why spend much on housing if its not important to you.

My parents could have spend a lot more on housing if they wanted too and take a bigger house like many of their friends did. Instead they kept their normal (still nice and expensive) house while many of their friends went for a bigger house to impress others.

Now my parents still go on a holliday 2 to 3 times a year and never have to worry about money while their friends with their bigger houses cant afford those kind of things.

I think its all a matter of priorities. I think housing is not that important as long as its up to a certain level.

We (that's four Thai folks and me) live on 360 sq.m. on three floors. There's no way we could afford this in Europe, so I don't get the notion why people would live here in smaller rooms that they would in the West.

I don't "need", but I "want" a separate living, sleeping, and computer room, plus at least one guest room because friends from Europe tend to pop over. Here, I can afford it, and enjoy it.

(Sukhumvit 93 is not exactly in the middle of the city, but with Bangjak BTS station now in operation, I'm downtown in no time.)

And I don't get an allowance, I get a salary from my company. So does everybody else in the household, and then we share the cost. On my insistence, I pay a (nominal) rent to the owner of the house, one of the Thai folks mentioned above.

I think the OP started this thread a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it has been an interesting discussion. People have different lifestyles, and that's OK. I limit my "binge nights" to THB 5,000/night these days and often don't spend half of that, and I don't have more than one per month on average. I used to go out three times a week (but spent a lot less per night), but I got older. I think I spend less per month now than I used to spend ten years ago. I also think that's OK. I'm happy, and that's what counts.

(From way up above)- what I meant wasn't that you shouldn't give drinks to others, Winnie- I mean that any bar that has the concept of an extra, over-priced lady's drink is still not a 'normal' bar where you could just give drinks to anyone willing to take them from your bottle. 'course, you'd have to be a bit charming, too.

I dunno, looking at my own expenses? I probably pay about 500B for a bottle of whiskey and more mixers than I can really use in one night- the bottle lasts at least 2-3 visits, and that's sharing drinks as needed with guests, interesting strangers and/or the staff I know a bit. I know places where you can pay more for the exact same thing, but I really don't find them as fun...

(From way up above)- what I meant wasn't that you shouldn't give drinks to others, Winnie- I mean that any bar that has the concept of an extra, over-priced lady's drink is still not a 'normal' bar where you could just give drinks to anyone willing to take them from your bottle. 'course, you'd have to be a bit charming, too.

Right, I go there too, including last Friday, but for some reason I like tourist bars. I don't really know why. while it's possible to buy someone a drink that costs a bit more so the girl gets 20 ro 30 baht or whatever, I wouldn't call that practise a defining feature though; other establishments have other ways of extracting money, and buying those lady drinks is not a hard requirement. In local Thai oriented places I'd be inclined to tip the waitress too if I got good attention. In tourist bars you could do the same; everyone needs to make some money, that's only fair.

But why do I like tourist bars.. I never really thought of that, but they would include the following reasons:

* Easy to meet total strangers both Thai and foreign, including tourists, expats, etc.

* Layout of the establishment is conducive to meeting new people, as opposed to a big restaurant-type layout with individual tables, designed for groups.

* They're not really that expensive; 60-70 baht for cheap whisky or cheap beer. At non tourist places you often have to buy a whole bottle, which means I drink too much or cant' finish it; again that's less of an issue when with a group, which is what those places cater to.

* They're relatively anonymous, and you're not some kind of attraction where locals come up to you and start befriending you and then start a conversation that's usually about football players from whatever country you're from.

* Misbehaving is more care-free. In a local bar I consciously or subconsciously want to act proper, because I don't want people to think that all Farangs are total douches, and it's probably safer too. In a local bar when you flirt with the Asahi girl you never quite know who else in a fairly large place has plans with her. In a smaller tourist bar I'm much more on top of that stuff.

* Easy to bar-hop; there are usually several close by. At local places you tend to move less, especially after you've bought a bottle, are waiting for more friends to join, or there's food on the table.

So.. I know it's all very cool to like and visit local Thai oriented pubs, and I do on occasion, but for a night out by myself to unwind, I'm not ashamed to like tourist bars.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Right, I go there too, including last Friday, but for some reason I like tourist bars. I don't really know why. And in those it's possible to buy someone a drink that costs a bit more so the girl gets 20 ro 30 baht or whatever. I wouldn't call that a defining feature though; other establishments have other ways of extracting money, and buying those 'lady drinks' is not a hard requirement.

I found bars that sell 'lady drinks', also sell the ladies.

So really, it is a defining feature of the bar.

If I'm going to a whorehouse ............. why pay extra for drinks?

And if I may be so bold to comment on your list of other reasons.

1) Get some friends, then you can go out with a group, you've been here long enough now.

2) What's wrong with speaking to Thais, they are friendly, and often give you free drinks from their bottle.

3) The Asahi/Chang/BenMore girl is paid to flirt with customers, if she likes you she will dump her b/f for the evening, and he won't mind either cos he's used to it.

4) Take your bottle with you to the next bar, they are happy to just sell you ice and mixers.

Edited by ludditeman

mabye somebody could explain to me what they mean by local thai bars ,i belive i frequent some of these establisments ,or are we talking about shop fronts and a plastic chair ,or bars with mostlyThai patrons

i was in a place the other night i wont attempt to spell it but its a German styled beer house quite well known on Kaset namawin road

3 people 2 beers ie glasses ,food nothing too flash and a bill of 2100 bht ,Oh i had a chang my mate a brewed varity and a orange juice

i think its petty amazing that some people here can live on 300 or 700 thb per week

i would hazard a guess that the street beggars make a lot more than that from just watching them for a few minutes

and seeing the notes and coins being tossed down to them

mabye somebody could explain to me what they mean by local thai bars ,i belive i frequent some of these establisments ,or are we talking about shop fronts and a plastic chair ,or bars with mostlyThai patrons

i was in a place the other night i wont attempt to spell it but its a German styled beer house quite well known on Kaset namawin road

3 people 2 beers ie glasses ,food nothing too flash and a bill of 2100 bht ,Oh i had a chang my mate a brewed varity and a orange juice

Local Thai bars sell large Chang, 3 for 150bht (or less) and are full of Thais, men don't touch the bottles, a girl pours, the food menu is in Thai. 300bht bill is a big night out.

Unlike foreigner bars, that charge 80+bht for the same beer, and are full of hos scrounging lady drinks, pour your own beer, food menu is in English. 1,000bht can be spent without thinking.

Edited by ludditeman

I found bars that sell 'lady drinks', also sell the ladies.

So really, it is a defining feature of the bar.

Yeah, but this is Thailand. You can pick up ladies at gas station convenience stores. ;) Speaking for myself only, it's not a primary reason to go to any kind of bar. Though I suppose the option remains out there, which may be a sub-conscious attraction.

If I'm going to a whorehouse ............. why pay extra for drinks?

For the overall experience? That's like saying: when going to the movies, why pay extra for popcorn? Anyway I'm not really into commercial sex. Not vehemently opposed to it as a concept, but it's not something primarily on my mind when going out to any kind of establishment. I think this probably applies to most people; with some exceptions.

> 2) What's wrong with speaking to Thais, they are friendly, and often give you free drinks from their bottle.

Good point. Does take effort because you'd need to entertain them a bit, but still a good point.

> 3) The Asahi/Chang/BenMore girl is paid to flirt with customers, if she likes you she will dump her b/f for the evening, and he won't mind either cos he's used to it.

Wait.. and only tourist bars sell ladies? ;)

> 4) Take your bottle with you to the next bar, they are happy to just sell you ice and mixers.

Again, good point.. Thanks!!

• Like 1

> 3) The Asahi/Chang/BenMore girl is paid to flirt with customers, if she likes you she will dump her b/f for the evening, and he won't mind either cos he's used to it.

Wait.. and only tourist bars sell ladies? wink.png

The Thai bars don't seem to do bar fines or lady drinks, so they aren't actually selling ladies.

Although we often have the girls drinking at our table, they share what we are drinking at no extra charge.

Also these girls are young educated university students, not the aging farm girls found in tourist bars.

Also you we are more likely to go home with a customer from another table than one of the bar employees.

Local Thai bars sell large Chang, 3 for 150bht (or less) and are full of Thais, men don't touch the bottles, a girl pours, the food menu is in Thai. 300bht bill is a big night out.

Unlike foreigner bars, that charge 80+bht for the same beer, and are full of hos scrounging lady drinks, pour your own beer, food menu is in English. 1,000bht can be spent without thinking.

You missed out the bit about, you wont be pestered by kids trying to sell you 3 day old dead roses, peddlars selling 2 foot high Zippo lighters, shoeshine kids, one for people who frequent Suk soi 4 is gobstopper man, he has been sucking on that gobstopper for the last 20 years, was looking rather resplendant the last time I saw him in his red outfit, freelancers, katoeys, freeloaders and other associated farang rif raf, so called hilltribes people selling overpriced tack, <deleted> trying to sell you Ban Ray sunglasses for 1,000 baht a pop that can be bought for 150 baht at any Thai market, mr Lucky Face, mor doos, and God knows what else.

The same places where you are met with a wai and a smile, taken to a seat and given a cold towel and then asked what you want to drink (remember when farang bars on Suk used to be like this?) at the end of the night if you give a tip of say 100 baht the girl is almost embarrassed to take it, try that in a farang bar on Suk you will be met with being called a cheap charlie in Thai directly to your face.

Too be honest I dont know why anyone in their right mind would frequent one of these clip joints, there is certainly none of the so called sanook factor.

At least the Thai bars know about customer service.

well i belive there are more than two types of bars in Thailand ,there are Thai style bars where you pay just as much ,sometimes more yes abliet the skanks scrounging the drinks and the kids with the roses

mabye it just comes down to what you like

Maybe it just comes down to what you can afford, the OP is talking about a weekly allowance so the following wont be for him, try Ratchada for the more upscale experience, a bit more upmarket but not as expensive, Srinakarin Rd, Lat Prao Rd, Rama 9 Rd, RCA.

Your choices are limited only by your budget.

Too be honest I dont know why anyone in their right mind would frequent one of these clip joints, there is certainly none of the so called sanook factor.

Indeed. The only thing that spring to mind, would be that many expats feel very insecure when they can't chat with their fellow countrymen.

• Like 1

Indeed. The only thing that spring to mind, would be that many expats feel very insecure when they can't chat with their fellow countrymen.

I would go further than that and say many expats appear scared of entering areas where they might have to mingle with Thai men.

I would go further than that and say many expats appear scared of entering areas where they might have to mingle with Thai men.

Wow. I've heard or experienced that before. Doesn't mean that you don't have a point, but if you are proven right, it would surprise me.

Wow. I've heard or experienced that before. Doesn't mean that you don't have a point, but if you are proven right, it would surprise me.

Maybe he means places like Obsession at the back of Nana Plaza...

SC

<p>

i dont know if theyre necessarily scared but there are some bars where there is just not much to attract a farang

ok ,the alcohol might be cheap but for those savings you get to have :

probably not a word of english spoken

maybe a few off duty taxi drivers /police /security guards/ factory workers drinking shots of lao khao at a private table

no company of the female variety

if you dont speak thai and nobody speaks english as low paid thai workers generally dont youre not going to have

a shitload in common

sitting around a table being the only one who doesnt know whats going on gets boring soon enough

listening to karaoke songs you cant understand being sung by drunk thais .....well ! :)

its not a bit surprising that farangs will drift to bars where other farangs might be

also i dont think its a surprise they will pay a bit more for a beer to drink it with westerners or play pool and chat with young ladies who can speak english

Edited by wana

Or normal Thai women ;)

Having lived in a variety of places where there are few or no Farang bars at all it is a great experience. You are charged low prices. No corkage fees. The Thai men and women will sit and talk to you more out of curiosity than anything else. IOt can be difficult with the language barrier at times but still fun.

A good night out can be cheap, unlike the touristy bars in Pattaya where I am now.

Another thing is being invited to parties by these Thai people you get to know. Take a few bottles, have some fun and some music. Not to everyones taste but you do learn more about Thailand, the real Thailand as you live your life this way.

• Like 1

Maybe he means places like Obsession at the back of Nana Plaza...

SC

Those are not men.... They are not women either, so no point in this discussion. Sorry, sweatheart. wink.png

Not important, but you have made a mix- up with the quotes. smile.png

I was in that desperate situation at one point in Thailand.

As it turned out, my live-in thai hooker was stealing from me when i was sleeping and/or had a shower.

So my suggestion is to count the money in your wallet every now and then, and change combination on your stash-away locker.