Emirates Boeing 777-300Er

pattayadingo

I arrived today in the UK. Flew Emirates using Boeing 777's. The flight from Dubai to UK, the aircraft a 777-300ER, seating was poor. The seats rocked about a lot when people moved. An empty seat next to mine seemed to have a life of its own. The seats were narrow and uncomfortable.

First time I have flown in many years and not used Airbus. Airbus do seem more comfortable. Sturdier seats too.

Definitely a dissapointment.

Highly unusual for Emirates to be this shoddy, I was on two of these aircraft last week and they were acceptable, anyway if it helps Emirates effectively suspended delivery of replacement 777's last year, and they will take delivery of 54 this year, allowing them to roll out new routes, including I believe 3 in the US ( including Dallas ) and to retire some of their older models.

There is no doubt though that the Emirates A380 set up is far, far superior to the 777's........I was on a flight from Sydney to Dubai, ( in economy ) and it was an absolute pleasure.

I believe the future of the fleet is a combination of these two models, apparently the A380 is wasted on relatively short flights ( around 3 hours ) so the 777's will be the backbone of the Middle East market. Emirates are currently building a dedicated A380 terminal at Dubai, which will have a business class lounge that can hold 2200 people, a vast improvement on the 1350 or so capacity at T3.

The new terminal will allow 24 aircraft to load and unload at the same time, so the new terminal is expecting a passenger flow of 12,000 passengers per cycle, this will take the strain from T3 which is buckling under the weight of numbers.

That being said, I can't remember the last time my flight took off from Dubai on schedule, air traffic control is constantly battling a log jam of flights.

Highly unusual for Emirates to be this shoddy, I was on two of these aircraft last week and they were acceptable, anyway if it helps Emirates effectively suspended delivery of replacement 777's last year, and they will take delivery of 54 this year, allowing them to roll out new routes, including I believe 3 in the US ( including Dallas ) and to retire some of their older models.

There is no doubt though that the Emirates A380 set up is far, far superior to the 777's........I was on a flight from Sydney to Dubai, ( in economy ) and it was an absolute pleasure.

I believe the future of the fleet is a combination of these two models, apparently the A380 is wasted on relatively short flights ( around 3 hours ) so the 777's will be the backbone of the Middle East market. Emirates are currently building a dedicated A380 terminal at Dubai, which will have a business class lounge that can hold 2200 people, a vast improvement on the 1350 or so capacity at T3.

The new terminal will allow 24 aircraft to load and unload at the same time, so the new terminal is expecting a passenger flow of 12,000 passengers per cycle, this will take the strain from T3 which is buckling under the weight of numbers.

That being said, I can't remember the last time my flight took off from Dubai on schedule, air traffic control is constantly battling a log jam of flights.

We circled Dubai for 30 minutes today.

I should add that I flew LGW - BKK via Dubai last year with Emirates and had no complaints. The two flights today were not good though. Maybe well worn stock.

I suppose they cannot be excellent all the time and are still far far better than some other airlines like Aeroflot, Air India and others like that can ever hope to be.

We circled Dubai for 30 minutes today.

I should add that I flew LGW - BKK via Dubai last year with Emirates and had no complaints. The two flights today were not good though. Maybe well worn stock.

I suppose they cannot be excellent all the time and are still far far better than some other airlines like Aeroflot, Air India and others like that can ever hope to be.

I agree, I have flown with Emirates about 40 times in the last two years and I have now learned to never expect them to take off in time in Dubai. On the other hand they are a cut above the majority of other airlines so I am more than happy to use them.

Sorry, but for me the 777 seats are far more comfortable than those on the A330 used on the DXB to NCL leg. The A380 is the best flying experience I've had so far with Emirates or any other airline.

Edited by jayceebee
  • Like 1

They also fly from provincial airports in the UK so you don't have to haul your ass down to Heathrow.

They do but I find it as quick and cheap to go to LGW as opposed to NCL.

Gatwick to St. Pancras 1 hour. Kings cross to Darlinton 2hr 20 mins. Booked in advance £39.

NCL to Darlington with 1 change of train there is 1 hr 30 mins less but flying to NCL is often a lot more expensive and the flight time to NCL is a bit longer too.

Overall I am happy with the Gatwick route. The arrival and departure time suit me too from LGW

LHR is OK but airport taxes are much higher. The tube ride to Kings Cross is terrible and cramped and takes 1 hour.

But, each to their own preferences :)

Sorry, but for me the 777 seats are far more comfortable than those on the A330 used on the DXB to NCL leg. The A380 is the best flying experience I've had so far with Emirates or any other airline.

The 777 left me with bad back ache. I have never had that on the Airbus flights.

I flew Emirates yesterday BKK to Dubai to Birmingham.

Always impressed with Emirates - comfy seats, good food, good service.

Yes, late out of Dubai but made most of the time was made up.

I always buy based on price and considering that Emirates usualy has some of the best deals I don't think you can complain as the service is up there with the best.

First of all, don't blame Airbus or Boeing about the seating. The seats and the seating configuration are selected by the customer (in this case, Emirates,) Not the manufacturer.

Emirates has a couple of different configurations for the 777-300ER also. One has a (comparatively generous) 34" seat pitch, another has a tight 31" seat pitch. More importantly though, Emirates has gone with a 10-seat row in economy (3-4-3). Most carriers (including THAI) use a 9-seat row in a 3-3-3 arrangement on 777's, though going with 10-across does seem to be a growing trend. Adding that 10th seats cramps everyone up a bit more, with narrower seats and narrower aisles. You also get bumped more if you have an aisle seat cause of the narrower aisles.

Personally, I won't use carriers on 777 flights with 10-across seating out of principle. They have less regard for passenger comfort.

First of all, don't blame Airbus or Boeing about the seating. The seats and the seating configuration are selected by the customer (in this case, Emirates,) Not the manufacturer.

Emirates has a couple of different configurations for the 777-300ER also. One has a (comparatively generous) 34" seat pitch, another has a tight 31" seat pitch. More importantly though, Emirates has gone with a 10-seat row in economy (3-4-3). Most carriers (including THAI) use a 9-seat row in a 3-3-3 arrangement on 777's, though going with 10-across does seem to be a growing trend. Adding that 10th seats cramps everyone up a bit more, with narrower seats and narrower aisles. You also get bumped more if you have an aisle seat cause of the narrower aisles.

Personally, I won't use carriers on 777 flights with 10-across seating out of principle. They have less regard for passenger comfort.

This flight was 10 seats across. That explains why it felt so cramped. First time in a few years I have had a Boeing flight, so did not realise. Now you mention it I have always had a 9 seat configuration before.

That info is worth knowing for when I book my next flight. Thanks :)

The 777ER on Qatar from DOH-BKK is much better than the Airbus from LHR-DOH.

Emirates is a two bob airline imho. Even the service in F is crap.

in my view any airline which has three-seat rows in business class is a two bob airline bah.gif

EVA is ok too. New kit. Computer screen in the headrest of the punter in front of you. Taiwan make money from happy bums on seats. Service is a bit like British Airways.

Leaves me a little bit cold.

Thai 747 for me til I find something that moves me more.

And don't even think about China Airlines via Beijing, or Jet via Mumbai if your ultimate destination is BKK.

in my view any airline which has three-seat rows in business class is a two bob airline bah.gif

That put Lufthansa in the bin then! biggrin.png

For economy Royal Jordanian are worth the cheap prices. Onboard is similar to Etihad and ground service very good for long layovers with a hotel provided in Amman free of charge.

But do the people have flat noses?

What are you whittering on about now?

The conversation is quite easy to follow.

EVA is ok too. New kit. Computer screen in the headrest of the punter in front of you. Taiwan make money from happy bums on seats. Service is a bit like British Airways.

And don't even think about China Airlines via Beijing, or Jet via Mumbai if your ultimate destination is BKK.

China Airlines is Taiwanese and they fly to Schipol direct from Bangkok.

Edited by endure

I did Mumbai once. Never ever again. But Delhi .....

no self-respecting German flies Lufthansa laugh.png

no self-respecting German flies Lufthansa laugh.png

Touche...no self respecting Brit would fly with stuffy old BA either. Yet they still consider themselves a class airline. Truly amazing! crazy.gif

• Like 1

I made exactly the same point about 20 posts ago.

As for flat noses. I go to LOS with Thai Airways. Why fly Lufthansa or BA? You can do that in Germany and great britain. No pleasure for me taking off from London Heathrow to go to BKK in a BA plane. I get on a plane to get out of great britain.

Emirates, Etihad etc etc etc are just compromise for me. Price and no hanging about at the halfway point are the reasons I use them. But no real joy.

The airline selects the seats and the rest of the interior from many suppliers, and the seats you were sitting in may not even be the original equipment, having been replaced as they get old with aftermarket equipment. Don't blame the OEM, blame the airline. And, as far as the 380 being superior, probably is, and hopefully you enjoyed it because as a UK (or FR/GE/ES, and several others) taxpayer, you paid for it and forever will. The 380 has been a loss to Airbus and always will, as Aibus has admitted. And, as the governments own the company, and you pay the government's bills, enjoy your investment.

Whereas Boeing derive absolutely-NO support from their many US-government military-contracts ? wink.png

This constant sniping, carried-on by both companies, suggests to me that there is some degree of real commercial-competition here, which can only benefit the flying-passengers ... us ! smile.png This has to be better than any one company having an effective near-monopoly of making planes world-wide. cool.png