You Get More Respect

deejah

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about if I'm retired and have more money than the average Thai will earn in 200 years?

I really don't care what Thai people think of me. I guess if I wanted to impress them, I'd drive about in a BMW or Mercedes. But you know, I really don't give a flying rip. I'm not falling into that same cultural morass that most Thais tend to gravitate toward.

I don't need anyone's respect in order to have self-respect. If you do? Well, then I pity you. Get a life.

Well said.

Why should we even need to set out to impress? We are what we are. If people need to be impressedthat is their problem.

How about if I'm retired and have more money than the average Thai will earn in 200 years?

I really don't care what Thai people think of me. I guess if I wanted to impress them, I'd drive about in a BMW or Mercedes. But you know, I really don't give a flying rip. I'm not falling into that same cultural morass that most Thais tend to gravitate toward.

I don't need anyone's respect in order to have self-respect. If you do? Well, then I pity you. Get a life.

Well said.

Why should we even need to set out to impress? We are what we are. If people need to be impressedthat is their problem.

As we are guests here, perhaps you should care if the locals are not impressed with the way you dress.

Well said.

As we are guests here, perhaps you should care if the locals are not impressed with the way you dress.

I'd be much more concerned about doing what's needed to keep your immigration status legal. That's what determines the length of your "guest" stay, not whether locals think you're a slob or not. Edited by Jingthing

GuestHouse, Jomtien is a beach resort and casual dress is totally OK at the immigration office there.

Not bathing and stinking of stale beer seems to be accepable too. Or at least it would appear so except for that sign

I think you are grossly exaggerating. As a regular user of that office, I find the vast majority of people are dressed fine, behave reasonably, and don't stink. I have noticed some bad behavior of some officers but I haven't noticed any linkage of that to dressing style. I'm pretty sure they will eject people dressed very unacceptably, but I haven't witnessed that myself. Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure I'm grossly exaggerating JJ, though I'll grant you I may, like yourself and all of us be falling prey to a spot of 'Value Judgement', we all of us have our own ideas of what are acceptable standards of attire, behaviour and personal hygiene.

I nevertheless maintain there is a marked difference between the aspect of those presenting themselves at the Jomtien Immigration Office compared with those presenting themselves at the Sriracha Office.

A point it would seem not missed on the staff at the Jomtien Office who have taken the trouble to put up signs addressing the very issues of standards of dress and personal hygiene.

Their colleagues over at Sriracha seem not to think this necessary.

Well said.

Why should I care?

I dress to be cool and comfortable. For my comfort. That does not mean I dress like a tramp.

You seem to have some weird ideas. Maybe you think we should all be in our 'Glad Rags' every day?

• Like 2

Well said.

Why should I care?

I dress to be cool and comfortable. For my comfort. That does not mean I dress like a tramp.

You seem to have some weird ideas. Maybe you think we should all be in our 'Glad Rags' every day?

Fair enough in the heat of the mid-day sun, but surely one dons one's jacket and tie for dinner?

One does not want to be mistaken for some Johnny Foreigner type...

SC

• Like 1

Fair enough in the heat of the mid-day sun, but surely one dons one's jacket and tie for dinner?

SC

I organize regular black tie affairs.

Nobody comes and I eat alone, but I do cut a dashing figure in my tux..the pizza guy seems genuinely impressed.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

SC

Nobody comes and I eat alone, but I do cut a dashing figure in my tux..the pizza guy seems genuinely impressed.

It seems there are few that can meet our standards in these troubled times. Its no wonder the world is in the state that its in...

I keep on telling the chap down the food court "there's no effin' doylies" and he looks at me like I'm dyslexic

SC

• Like 1

SC

It seems there are few that can meet our standards in these troubled times. Its no wonder the world is in the state that its in...

I keep on telling the chap down the food court "there's no effin' doylies" and he looks at me like I'm dyslexic

SC

"there's no effin' doylies"

pm me and I will translate Streetcowboys post for you

"there's no effin' doylies"

pm me and I will translate Streetcowboys post for you

You'll be inundated with three thousand old posts now...

EDIT: typo corrected, bythewayboys

Yup...I'm starting to regret it already rolleyes.gif

I might ask for a few explanations myelf, especially some of the ones around closing time in the Royal Oak...

Another guy who claims not to care what anyone thinks. In my experience, those who have to come out and say that are the ones who care the most. Are you trying to impress us with your non-chalant, non-caring attitude? We're also not impressed that you claim to have "more money than the average Thai will earn in 200 years." Why do some guys feel the need to flaunt their perceived wealth?

Another guy who claims not to care what anyone thinks. In my experience, those who have to come out and say that are the ones who care the most. Are you trying to impress us with your non-chalant, non-caring attitude? We're also not impressed that you claim to have "more money than the average Thai will earn in 200 years." Why do some guys feel the need to flaunt their perceived wealth?

If I could afford a new pair of flip flops, I'd flaunt it too.

Actually, I did manage to get round to buying a new pair of shoes. Luckily, the local places didn't have my size, so I bought a British brand. So no more of this "Look at these shoes, I've only had them three weeks ..." or however long.

SC

SC

That would be a Butlers convention?

cheesy.gif Loads of Johnny Foreigner types walking around, bowing and scraping in their Tux to impress the local riff raff?

"Would Sir like another Chang?" wacko.png

• Like 1

SC

That would be a Butlers convention?

cheesy.gif Loads of Johnny Foreigner types walking around, bowing and scraping in their Tux to impress the local riff raff?

"Would Sir like another Chang?" wacko.png

A well knotted bow-tie is what separates us from the heathens Sir.

Not dressing for dinner leads to a path of darkness and savagery.

• Like 1

maybe just don't wear 'wife beaters' or just stop showing your tattoos.

or just stop showing your upper body if you are over 50, no matter how fit you keep...

ya, I know most of u complain these are things the Russians do but sadly, I have seen mostly Aussies and Brits doing this at that age.

In any country in this world you will get more respect dressing up decently. Thailand is no exception.

We can discuss what 'dressing up decently' means but this will make no difference in Thailand compared with other country. Maybe they will be a bit more conservative if anything at all.

I don't know whether it's because I'm young enough that the natural presumption is that I'm not retired, or whether it is because most people who actually meet me will learn from normal conversation with me that I'm not a tourist- but I bet I get more positive regard around town simply because I'm wearing a button-down shirt that fits me and long office-quality pants, than those who dress as if it doesn't matter if they are wearing a singlet in downtown Bangkok.

Clothes and presentation here do matter. Having something productive to do with your life can help- I would say it is as important for your own self esteem as for what anyone else thinks of you. That doesn't have to be a job, but you do need an occupation.

what exactly are office quality pants?

They have those velcro strips down the side so you can whip them off when Mrs Crabtree, the 3rd grade teacher get jiggy with it.

Only if you are a heterosexual teacher

My job only requires that I have a laptop. So it looks like I'm a bum because I don't need to dress up for a job. I guess Thai people just think I'm a tourist or independently wealthy. Doesn't matter to me either way.

I suppose the root of it is self respect and respect for others, I'm not in a rush to reach the lowest common denominator.

edit

Because my Mother would kill me if I did.

I am looking for advice from you and Street Cowboy; next weekend I am to attend a Thai wedding. I have five suits here but none are morning dress and therefore perhaps inappropriate.

However I do possess also both formal and informal Scottish Highland wear. What would be your advice as to appropriateness and etiquette?

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

A button down shirt? Is that one of those creations with buttons on the collar?

How terribly American

What is wrong with a proper shirt and tie, it was always good enough in the days of Empire.

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

A button down shirt? Is that one of those creations with buttons on the collar?

How terribly American

What is wrong with a proper shirt and tie, it was always good enough in the days of Empire.

Correctly referred to, so I am told, as a "bastid button-down".

For the wedding, I would strongly recommend against the Highland dress, unless everyone else is wearing it; only the groom should stand out amongst the gentlemen present.

If you don't have a morning suit, can I suggest you keep to the back row in the photographs? Although it depends on the overall look that you are going for. Everyone told me the dinner jacket was a waste of time if I was going to be wearing a samping.

Seriously, for the last wedding I was at - just the reception - I wore blazer and black trousers, amd a sober tie, since it was a Muslim affair. I was the only one thus attired, but I was the only white fella, I think, and at least I faded into the background easily enough...

SC