You Get More Respect

deejah

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when do you get more respect if you have a job?

You can still be ill-mannered if you have a job. You can be uncouth too. You can be a beer swilling slob even if you work.

Of all the families I have met none have ever made any comment on the fact I do not work. All the (girlfriends) have been bothered about (apart from money LOL) is that I show proper respect to their parents, especially the mother and to her friends. The father(s) tends to like me as long as i buy a few extra beers when we sit talking.

Manners maketh the man.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it's because I'm young enough that the natural presumption is that I'm not retired, or whether it is because most people who actually meet me will learn from normal conversation with me that I'm not a tourist- but I bet I get more positive regard around town simply because I'm wearing a button-down shirt that fits me and long office-quality pants, than those who dress as if it doesn't matter if they are wearing a singlet in downtown Bangkok.

Clothes and presentation here do matter. Having something productive to do with your life can help- I would say it is as important for your own self esteem as for what anyone else thinks of you. That doesn't have to be a job, but you do need an occupation.

• Like 2

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

Button down shirts and sneakers? Don't let the fashion police see you. Real Queens wear loafers with their button downs...

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

Button down shirts and sneakers? Don't let the fashion police see you. Real Queens wear loafers with their button downs...

I actually had him pegged as white socks and sandals,at least for daywear.

Sneakers, native footwear of Homo Americanus

post-37101-0-31736500-1328911123_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Don`t worry about peoples opinion of you, whether you’re working or not.

Just keep smiling and spending the money and I guarantee everyone will love you.

No money? Then it makes no difference if you are working or not working, you will be cast aside like a leper.

I don't know whether it's because I'm young enough that the natural presumption is that I'm not retired, or whether it is because most people who actually meet me will learn from normal conversation with me that I'm not a tourist- but I bet I get more positive regard around town simply because I'm wearing a button-down shirt that fits me and long office-quality pants, than those who dress as if it doesn't matter if they are wearing a singlet in downtown Bangkok.

Clothes and presentation here do matter. Having something productive to do with your life can help- I would say it is as important for your own self esteem as for what anyone else thinks of you. That doesn't have to be a job, but you do need an occupation.

what exactly are office quality pants?

what exactly are office quality pants?

They have those velcro strips down the side so you can whip them off when Mrs Crabtree, the 3rd grade teacher get jiggy with it.

I wear jeans, trainers and fitted shirts - long or short sleeves - and, occasionally, baseball caps. If I'm outside the immediate vicinity of my apartment, I'd imagine most Thais would think I'm a tourist but my main squeeze told me the other day that the Thais on my street know my name, where I'm from and what I do although neither I nor she has ever mentioned it.

When I asked her to speculate on how this happened, she said, "They probably asked condo security".

"Why would they do that?" I asked.

She was pretty blunt in her response , "You're a novelty because you're not white, you live in what they perceive to be a nice place in Asoke, you're polite, you don't go to the gogos, they never see you drunk and the motorbike taxis think your hats are really cool".

I thought things like that would give me a fair stab at the Holy Grail of anonymity but it appears not.

• Like 2

She was pretty blunt in her response , "You're a novelty because you're not white, you live in what they perceive to be a nice place in Asoke, you're polite, you don't go to the gogos, they never see you drunk and the motorbike taxis think your hats are really cool".

Lovely!!!! And kind of sweet, too!

Years ago I used to date a Thai women who frequently moaned that that "I should dress like a professional"

By this she meant that I should wear the suit and tie or smart casual clothes of the kind I was wearing when we met - That's part of the office uniform and goes with the job, suit and a tie when meeting with clients, smart casual the rest of the time.

Outside of work, well usually chinos, button shirt of polo, but then shorts and T-shirts too - I'm off work I don't dress for work.

The 'you should dress like a professional' moan only ever came when I was wearing shorts and T-shirts but my response was always the same. "I am a professional - I got dressed this morning - This is how a professional dresses"

Well you can only fight that shit so long, in the end I ditched her for someone less shallow.

Do I think I receive more respect as a professional working in Thailand - Yes undoubtedly.

But there's more to work that just turning up at the office and getting paid - there's a host of stuff I like to leave at the door when I clock off for the day/week.

If I have to carry that with me on my time off to get respect, I'll skip the respect and opt for being just another guy relaxing in Thailand - Day off or Holiday, who cares so long as the bills are paid.

• Like 1

Years ago I used to date a Thai women who frequently moaned that that "I should dress like a professional"

By this she meant that I should wear the suit and tie or smart casual clothes of the kind I was wearing when we met - That's part of the office uniform and goes with the job, suit and a tie when meeting with clients, smart casual the rest of the time.

Outside of work, well usually chinos, button shirt of polo, but then shorts and T-shirts too - I'm off work I don't dress for work.

The 'you should dress like a professional' moan only ever came when I was wearing shorts and T-shirts but my response was always the same. "I am a professional - I got dressed this morning - This is how a professional dresses"

Well you can only fight that shit so long, in the end I ditched her for someone less shallow.

Do I think I receive more respect as a professional working in Thailand - Yes undoubtedly.

But there's more to work that just turning up at the office and getting paid - there's a host of stuff I like to leave at the door when I clock off for the day/week.

If I have to carry that with me on my time off to get respect, I'll skip the respect and opt for being just another guy relaxing in Thailand - Day off or Holiday, who cares so long as the bills are paid.

Clothes maketh the man the world over.

It's just another example of the mysterious so called "Thai Culture" being exactly the same as everywhere else.

Guesthouse is totally correct......when I was in a boot and suit job I couldn't wait to get home and get changed, now that I'm not in that type of employment I love getting suited and booted.

Yet another Thai Cultural mystery bites the dust biggrin.png

• Like 1

I had cause to go to the Immigration Office in Jomtien last month , I normally deal with the immigration office in Sriracha.

These places might be on different planets.

The Jomtien office sports signs asking visitors to dress smartly and cleanly, a curious thing to request and something missing from the Sriracha office.

But then sitting there in the queue I started to pass the time by observing my fellow foreigners queuing to see an immigration officer.

The one I was waiting to see would "Help Me" with a confirmation of address so I could sell a car, others where waiting to be "Helped" with a new visa or visa extension.

One would imagine the sign on the wall would be redundant, I came away thinking it might be amended to add 'And don't turn up stinking of beer, using abusive language or looking like you forgot to take your meds'

The thing about the Thai respect game is - The rules are simple, they are not much different that the rules back home and they do open/close doors.

If for some reason or another you did not learn the rules back home, it might be a good idea to brush up on them in Thailand - they really do make life easier.... for all!

• Like 1

Phuket is a 'beach resort' too - but I've noticed that dressing reasonably (i.e. not in shorts and a singlet), improves the staffs' attitude no end!

Turn up looking like a 'bum' and you will be treated like one.

At Jomtien, decent short pants are not a problem, but I agree long pants are a little better. Flip flops are not cool, but decent sandals are. Singlets, definitely not OK. Best to step up a notch from a t-shirt. I said casual. Did you think I meant singlets are OK based on that? Oy.

Phuket is a 'beach resort' too - but I've noticed that dressing reasonably (i.e. not in shorts and a singlet), improves the staffs' attitude no end!

Turn up looking like a 'bum' and you will be treated like one.

At Jomtien, decent short pants are not a problem, but I agree long pants are a little better. Flip flops are not cool, but decent sandals are. Singlets, definitely not OK. Best to step up a notch from a t-shirt. I said casual. Did you think I meant singlets are OK based on that? Oy.

What you are basically saying is wear smart summer dress when you are going to see officials, I think we all agree with that.

I think I said earlier I cannot stand seeing people show up at restaurants and nightclubs such as Hotshots in Chiang Mai with the flip flops and singlets on. sick.gif

Can you imagine these same people by-passing a shower, wearing the same clothes and heading into immigration? Sure you can, no wonder the Thais look at them like they are scum sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

I work from home, so it's cargo pants/shorts and T-shirt all they way for me. I have suits that I used to wear when I worked from an office, but of course I shall be wearing nothing like that at home.

If somebody wants to judge then so be it. While they are busy judging, I'll be busy enjoying a well earned drink.

• Like 1