You Get More Respect

deejah

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

A button down shirt? Is that one of those creations with buttons on the collar?

How terribly American

What is wrong with a proper shirt and tie, it was always good enough in the days of Empire.

This is very funny. Apparently, the proper term for what I meant was button front shirt as button down shirt refers to the collar. However, I have used button down for that all my life and don't really recall hearing anyone call what I meant button front shirts. I'm a casual guy!

Hey, even smarty pants old me can learn something on Thaivisa!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pattaya, wearing a button down shirt instead of a "Bad Guys Go to Pattaya" t-shirt and sneakers instead of flip flops puts me in the top crust of f-rangs.cowboy.gif

How terribly American

What is wrong with a proper shirt and tie, it was always good enough in the days of Empire.

Correctly referred to, so I am told, as a "bastid button-down".

For the wedding, I would strongly recommend against the Highland dress, unless everyone else is wearing it; only the groom should stand out amongst the gentlemen present.

If you don't have a morning suit, can I suggest you keep to the back row in the photographs? Although it depends on the overall look that you are going for. Everyone told me the dinner jacket was a waste of time if I was going to be wearing a samping.

Seriously, for the last wedding I was at - just the reception - I wore blazer and black trousers, amd a sober tie, since it was a Muslim affair. I was the only one thus attired, but I was the only white fella, I think, and at least I faded into the background easily enough...

SC

Thank you SC for your warning against the national costume; I did suspect that it might be a tad warm as her cousin appeared to think when he wore it at my wedding and this one is even more upcountry. I expect I will use the standard format and wear what I am told, hopefully just black trousers and white shirt, with no tie since none of her relatives has ever worn one in my presence, except for the father of her first (and late) husband.

How terribly American

This is very funny. Apparently, the proper term for what I meant was button front shirt as button down shirt refers to the collar. However, I have used button down for that all my life and don't really recall hearing anyone call what I meant button front shirts. I'm a casual guy!

Hey, even smarty pants old me can learn something on Thaivisa!

Jingthing It is an unexpected pleasure to have revealed some sartorial secrets to such a legendary hero

I find it a silly question - of course you get more respect - not different at all than in any other country.

The validity of this respect is not in question here, simply the fact of having a job places you above the whore-mongers (who may have a job anyway) and bums.

I have no idea how retirees are seen here

Job definitely helps with your respect from the community, especially in a small town, as I have 2600 students who Wai me every where I go lol.

Also I always get refered to in conversation as "Ajarn" by my gf's family and most of the people I meet in town, I think it must outrank the coveted title of "farang" lol

Edited by SlyAnimal

Job definitely helps with your respect from the community, especially in a small town, as I have 2600 students who Wai me every where I go lol.

Also I always get refered to in conversation as "Ajarn" by my gf's family and most of the people I meet in town, I think it must outrank the coveted title of "farang" lol

I had a friend who used to get the same treatment when he walked down Soi Six in Pattaya. Small town good; Pattaya not so good.

Fair enough in the heat of the mid-day sun, but surely one dons one's jacket and tie for dinner?

One does not want to be mistaken for some Johnny Foreigner type...

SC

I organize regular black tie affairs.

Nobody comes and I eat alone, but I do cut a dashing figure in my tux..the pizza guy seems genuinely impressed.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

That would be a Butlers convention?

cheesy.gif Loads of Johnny Foreigner types walking around, bowing and scraping in their Tux to impress the local riff raff?

"Would Sir like another Chang?" wacko.png

A well knotted bow-tie is what separates us from the heathens Sir.

Not dressing for dinner leads to a path of darkness and savagery.

I'll go in my Caveman's outfit, complete with club - AKA Fred Flintstone -.

Hmmm, I could drag a few ladies back to my cave...... Heathen fasion ;)