Brutal Thai Boxing Bouts See Boys And Girls As Young As Six Fighting As 'Entertainment' For Tourists

Puccini

Brutal Thai boxing bouts see boys and girls as young as SIX fighting as 'entertainment' for tourists

• British, American and German holidaymakers 'queue up to see sport'
  • Film-maker Todd Kellstein watched 300 fights researching 'Buffalo Girls'

By LEE MORAN

Last updated at 12:27 PM on 10th February 2012

Thai children as young as six are battering each other in brutal boxing matches as entertainment for baying crowds of tourists.

Boys and girls are risking broken bones and brain damage as they kick, punch and knee each other in the Muay Thai boxing bouts held in bars.

British, American and German holidaymakers are queuing up to see the sickening spectacle which has arrived in the country's holiday resorts from remote villages.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1m2vSI8bX

Source: Daily Mail

This has been going on for years, but I never saw one where anyone was hurt. I would think that most of them are staged.

Yup, and looks like the film itself is equally stages. Just one more exploitative farang trying to sell a story to pay for his vacation in Thailand.

This has been going on for years, but I never saw one where anyone was hurt. I would think that most of them are staged.

Yup, and looks like the film itself is equally stages. Just one more exploitative farang trying to sell a story to pay for his vacation in Thailand.

have you seen it?

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

have you seen it?

I have. They have this all over Thailand, I dont think there is a specific tourism angle. (Other than that of course that anything specifically Thai is interesting for tourists too; that's why they're here, to see local stuff.)

Anyway, they're not 'staged' as in fake, but they're not exactly a death match either.

It's the number one sport in Thailand. Might as well argue against 6 year old boys playing football.

Nice troll article in a troll tabloid newspaper.

have you seen it?

I have. They have this all over Thailand, I dont think there is a specific tourism angle. (Other than that of course that anything specifically Thai is interesting for tourists too; that's why they're here, to see local stuff.)

Anyway, they're not 'staged' as in fake, but they're not exactly a death match either.

It's the number one sport in Thailand. Might as well argue against 6 year old boys playing football.

i didnt mean the boxing i meant the film.

• Like 1

Is it not the case that the tourists are queueing to watch adult Thai boxing and the kids are a show bout? Similar to the Blind boxers that you see?

I don't have a problem with the kids boxing but 6 seems a tad young, I would say around about 10 would be OK in a public arena.

have you seen it?

I've seen plenty of boxing matches, including the little 3 minute joke "fight" with kids they sometimes do before the real fights begin, where everyone cheers and pretends its a real fight so the kids have fun. I read the article and saw his trailer and the interview with the film maker and it seemed pretty clear it's just a BS cash grab to pay for his 3 year long vacation in Thailand and he is deliberately spinning things for personal profit.

I think that you will find that most fights that are put on for toutists are staged. I have seen many fights in deepest Korat. Some not just young boys, but also girls, also mixed. Yes they can get quite brutal. It is just a way of life to them. Pappa just loves it when they pick up the little brown envolope.

jb1

have you seen it?

I've seen plenty of boxing matches, including the little 3 minute joke "fight" with kids they sometimes do before the real fights begin, where everyone cheers and pretends its a real fight so the kids have fun. I read the article and saw his trailer and the interview with the film maker and it seemed pretty clear it's just a BS cash grab to pay for his 3 year long vacation in Thailand and he is deliberately spinning things for personal profit.

so you haven't seen the film then? it really isnt a difficult question to answer.

have you seen it?

Have seen them before up in Isaan too. No farang in the crowds, just Thais.

Don't even go there Puccini. I did and got slated for it. Its Thai culture and if you don't like it go home, as I was told. Search for my thread if interested.

Was it your thread in which several people pointed out that it isn't a Thai Culture issue, but something that happens in other countries too, including western?

Don't even go there Puccini. I did and got slated for it. Its Thai culture and if you don't like it go home, as I was told. Search for my thread if interested.

Was it your thread in which several people pointed out that it isn't a Thai Culture issue, but something that happens in other countries too, including western?

I remember that thread. The OP of that thread was going on and on about how barbaric Thais are, and when evidence was shown about the same thing happening in the UK he completely ignored it and continued going on and on about those barbaric Thais.

Edited by DP25

I did that on a weekly basis in the school yards of Canada... starting from grade 1 (6 year olds). And, we didn't have gloves for protection or anyone to monitor the damage. That is what little boys do everywhere. Little girls more likely pull hair.

• Like 1

I don't agree with children being permitted to partake in sports which involve physical conflict. As with drinking, sex and driving etc, I beleive there should be an age limit. That said, their are far greater issues at hand here than my uncompromising western beliefs.

There are also far greater issues which if this film-maker really cared about Thailand he could have addressed.

But he said he could not condemn the fights, which first started in rural villages of Thailand. He said they gave children an extra way to earn money for their families.

And he added: 'In the end I decided it was not my job to judge another country's culture.'

Trailer

made ne feel sad

Edited by 2unique

I remember that thread. The OP of that thread was going on and on about how barbaric Thais are, and when evidence was shown about the same thing happening in the UK he completely ignored it and continued going on and on about those barbaric Thais.

The kids in my thread were around 3 years old which in your book makes it acceptable. I also remember.

In my book it is barbaric to push kids into fighting for the sake of maintaining ones habits, so to speak.

It's a sport which they are introduced to at an early stage, no different than Tiger Woods. I would love to see and lot more fat lethargic western kids do the same. There mums and dads don't want them dead! It is just your perspective... As a national sport they can start young.

We go most weekends to watch the local Muay Thai bouts close to where we live, I would say the youngest I've seen here was 10 years old, its not my cup of tea to go and watch these younger ones, but normally we'll see one bout of the youngsters of between 10 and 14 year old in an 8 bout event, but in their defence I would say from what I've seen here their opponents are evenly matched in age/size and the referees keep a close eye on the younger ones. I don't think I've witnessed anything in our area that I would call brutal.

As mentioned, it's part of their culture, even in some schools the boys have the chance to practice either TaeKwanDo or Muay Thai, whilst the girls can do Rum Thai dance

From my observations the matches are not staged

The referees know the.kids and pair them up well, for a fair fight.

It is a source of income for the kids and their families and

a possible path to a career.

There is too much namby pamby in the west about contact sports.

I remember my youngest coming to me complaining that his older brother had hurt him whilst they were wrestling

I dusted him down and check he was OK and told his brother to be careful

Within 5 minutes the young one was back in there...........

As a result he is not afraid to defend himself, if the need should arise.

• Like 1

Show me evidence that kids as young as 3 years are fighting for money in the UK. Otherwise I will ignore you,as I did before.

Show me evidence that kids as young as 3 years are fighting for money in the UK. Otherwise I will ignore you,as I did before.

I never said '3', I don't know what the youngest boxers are, but there are 5-10 years olds in western countries engaging in boxing matches and cage fights. They have tournaments, and they have child boxing prior to real events. And yes they have prize money as well, and when they have show matches they are paid like they are here.

I linked some clips to you before and you refused to watch them, and proceeded to rant about how barbaric Thais are and wouldn't listen to anything else

5 year old girls in the UK fighting in front of wild crowds of adults baying for blood! No head gear and risking death at every turn! Vile photographers capturing it all to sell on home video! The horror!!1!111

I never said '3', I don't know what the youngest boxers are, but there are 5-10 years olds in western countries engaging in boxing matches and cage fights. They have tournaments, and they have child boxing prior to real events. And yes they have prize money as well, and when they have show matches they are paid like they are here.

I linked some clips to you before and you refused to watch them, and proceeded to rant about how barbaric Thais are and wouldn't listen to anything else

I think the money is irrelevant. Boys 5,6,7 and whatever are going to fight. The fact that they are in a ring supervised, and guided to fight within rules is admirable. The fact there are foreigners stupid enough to go and pay money for it is what is idiotic. It's those around the young kids that realized this point and have capitalized on it, not someone thinking, "hey, let's get 5 year old's to beat themselves up then charge foreigner who will travel 5000 miles to see a show!"

5 year old girls in the UK fighting in front of wild crowds of adults baying for blood! No head gear and risking death at every turn! Vile photographers capturing it all to sell on home video! The horror!!1!111

Well DP I watched that and I really wish that was my dad. No baying for blood, no betting either and the kids are 5 upwards, not 3. I still find this disturbing, but if you get a kick out of watching children fight I really do feel very sorry for you. Did your kids fight for money when they were young, maybe diapers, of baby food. The degradation is remarkable.