Scam Or ?

Under the Land Act farang women (like men) are alien, but don't farang women marrying Thai guys have an automatic right to Thai citizenship?

If that's the case, what's to stop them buying land and having the same legal rights as any other Thai citizen?

Under the Land Act farang women (like men) are alien, but don't farang women marrying Thai guys have an automatic right to Thai citizenship?

If that's the case, what's to stop them buying land and having the same legal rights as any other Thai citizen?

No, they don't have automatic right, but they have a fast track method which allows more than twice as many women as men to become Thai citizens. They still have to have the basic requirements regarding time living in Thailand, no police record, etc. But they get away with not having to speak Thai, etc. Despite being against the Thai Constitution, the Supreme Court has upheld this inequality :o

No, they don't have automatic right, but they have a fast track method which allows more than twice as many women as men to become Thai citizens. They still have to have the basic requirements regarding time living in Thailand, no police record, etc. But they get away with not having to speak Thai, etc. Despite being against the Thai Constitution, the Supreme Court has upheld this inequality :o

Ok so farang women can become Thai citizens but still can't buy the land despite the Thai constitution granting ALL Thai citizens the right to own land.

I think that's what I was refering to, even though I got it wrong by assuming they would hold that right under the marriage contract, which technically they should, but in reality they don't

Still someone could challenge the courts on those grounds alone. The Constitution is at the top of the "food chain" in legal terms.

So technically, those farangs women in that island do have right to own land. In reality, they don't own sh1t.

Edited by Butterfly

Ok so farang women can become Thai citizens but still can't buy the land despite the Thai constitution granting ALL Thai citizens the right to own land.

I think that's what I was refering to, even though I got it wrong by assuming they would hold that right under the marriage contract, which technically they should, but in reality they don't

Still someone could challenge the courts on those grounds alone. The Constitution is at the top of the "food chain" in legal terms.

So technically, those farangs women in that island do have right to own land. In reality, they don't own sh1t.

Farang women can own land if they manage to get their Thai citizenship approved by The Ministry of the Interior. They cannot own land simply by marriage. First application is made to Police for some reason. However to show how difficult it is only 5 Thai citizenships were approved in the first 3 months of the new Minister of Interiors term in office this year. The Supreme Court has binding decision on Constitutional issues, but does OK the fact that if you are a Thai Citizen, even by naturalisation, you can still acquire land. The main thing they do not agree with is that men and women should have equal rights in acquiring citizenship. It's nothing to do with favouring farang women, it's to do with favouring Thai men when they marry.

DM:

I don't normally query your posts, but I don't see how the above fits in with:

Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508

Section 9. An alien woman who marries a person of Thai nationality shall, if she desires to acquire Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for acquisition of Thai nationality shall lie with the discretion of the Minister.

Are you saying the Minster will unlikely grant permission with the requirements in your post, or is it that the Ministerial Regulations specify such?

Cheers

SM :o

Edited by Sumitr Man

DM:

I don't normally query your posts, but I don't see how the above fits in with:

Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508

Section 9. An alien woman who marries a person of Thai nationality shall, if she desires to acquire Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for acquisition of Thai nationality shall lie with the discretion of the Minister.

Are you saying the Minster will unlikely grant permission with the requirements in your post, or is it that the Ministerial Regulations specify such?

Cheers

SM :o

No, as long as the Ministerial requirements are met it is extremely likely that citizenship will be granted for foreign women. With foreign men it is a totally different situation, and due to the subjective judgements made with regard to speaking Thai proficiently it is easy for the Ministry to manipulate the approvals. Thus if not many women apply the male approvals go up. This is emphasised by the fact that not many approvals are made at the start of the year, but the pace picks up towards the end to average 80-90 a year, the majority of which are women.

No, as long as the Ministerial requirements are met it is extremely likely that citizenship will be granted for foreign women. With foreign men it is a totally different situation, and due to the subjective judgements made with regard to speaking Thai proficiently it is easy for the Ministry to manipulate the approvals. Thus if not many women apply the male approvals go up. This is emphasised by the fact that not many approvals are made at the start of the year, but the pace picks up towards the end to average 80-90 a year, the majority of which are women.

Where do you get your information? These applications must be made in Bangkok then because my local police (ie Changwat) didn't have a clue how to do it.

Where do you get your information? These applications must be made in Bangkok then because my local police (ie Changwat) didn't have a clue how to do it.

Being involved in Property law and Civil Law in my former life( pre- retirement) in Uk, I try to obtain info. from as many Government and police sources as possible in Thailand. This is now only a hobby.

Your Provincial Police Station is really the only place to apply, as they will make numerous criminal and personal investigations. If they don't have a clue, ask them to telephone the Nationalization Office

Special Branch

Royal Thai Police

Building 5

Phraram 1 Road

Kwang Bangmai

Pathumwan

Bangkok

Sorry can't find telephone number.

They may be able to get more info from Phuket Provincial Office who I know have dealt with Citizenship applications.

Be prepared for a long and bureaucratic process, even if you comply with all the requirements for the Ministry.

A friend of mine suggested I go to the Bangkok Special branch, get all the paperwork required, instructions and the phone number of the guy who knows what he's doing there, bring it all back with me and hand it over to the local Special Branch guys in Surat Thani. What do you think of the idea? I am willing to go through a long process, heck, I've already been here nearly 17 years, whats a few more? :o

A friend of mine suggested I go to the Bangkok Special branch, get all the paperwork required, instructions and the phone number of the guy who knows what he's doing there, bring it all back with me and hand it over to the local Special Branch guys in Surat Thani. What do you think of the idea? I am willing to go through a long process, heck, I've already been here nearly 17 years, whats a few more? :o

You could try Phuket, unless you are going to Bangkok. Information previously supplied by Police Lt Col Somdej Khanthawong at Bangkok in case you need a name.