Buying Consortium Power

ChinesePanda

Ever so often we need to get our lovely thai counterpart to get a quote or to start bargaining because surely if we were to open our big fat mouth ourselves the price will be offered a lot higher than otherwise.

Not being a cheap charlie here but somewhat don't want to be a monkey's uncle in LOS.

Thus, if we could just pull in a few strings and resources then we might just be able to turn the table around on the porkha and maekha.

Especially so if we are buying furniture or other big items......

I'm sure you guys got the picture.

So, anyway we could get this kicking and maybe sign-up a few foreign buying agents?

An un-official monthly meet for friends and interested buyers would be a good start, I hope someone else would pull a chair and sit next to me here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, this posting has been ignored for a few hours, so let me start.

First off, I resent the use of the word "farang" to describe us. Why not say "white people"? I think that denotes the same clue-less ness.

And secondly, I just don't undertand what the OP means when he says "get our lovely thai counterpart to get a quote or to start bargaining because surely if we were to open our big fat mouth ourselves the price will be offered a lot higher than otherwise."

I don't have problem once I speak a few words of the Thai language. Furthermore, I find that Thai people seem very receptive to western couples who have obviously been married for decades. They love to ask us all sorts of nosy questions about how long we've been married, how many kids, grandkids, etc.

I really don't care to attend monthly meetings of people who have been in failed relationships and can't be bothered to learn the local language!

• Like 2

Yeah, of the type that I usually *JUST* get away with without getting banned, after which I hurry and put in two or three helpful posts in the hope the powers that be will see value in that and don't kick me off forever. ;) Yes I do have a conscience.

Either way I was pleasantly surprised by Nancy's post. :)

I agree with our Nancy.

Been here for many moons and have learnt myself some basic Thai, plus I know the cost of things and have a good idea how much I should be paying for services or items.

If I think I’m being ripped off, than I just walk away with no argument and go somewhere else.

One thing I have learned in Thailand, is to follow the golden rule and always establish a price before committing myself to anything. Than there can be no bitterness or arguments later on. Another point is to never expect the same standards or equate services here to the West.

Regarding the farang part, it is only impolite if addressed as a farang by people that know us. From strangers, I really could not care less.

First off, I resent the use of the word "farang" to describe us. Why not say "white people"? I think that denotes the same clue-less ness.

And secondly, I just don't undertand what the OP means when he says "get our lovely thai counterpart to get a quote or to start bargaining because surely if we were to open our big fat mouth ourselves the price will be offered a lot higher than otherwise."

I don't have problem once I speak a few words of the Thai language. Furthermore, I find that Thai people seem very receptive to western couples who have obviously been married for decades. They love to ask us all sorts of nosy questions about how long we've been married, how many kids, grandkids, etc.

I really don't care to attend monthly meetings of people who have been in failed relationships and can't be bothered to learn the local language!

wub.png

Excellent. thumbsup.gif

So the 2 of you have decided that because the OP has a 'Thai counterpart' he (I'm assuming it's a 'he') has had failed relationships...how very ignorant.

Edited by colinp

Not the OP in person, we don't know him. But get any kind of expat group together in Thailand and you know what the prevailing wind will be like. It's that same negativity and overall disdain for 'Thailand and the Somchais' that you see on the forum so often. The forum is like a sanitized version of that, only seeing some scribblings without actually having to be in a room with those people. And this would be a group by people who have already agreed amongst themselves that all Thais are there to rip them off on stuff; that sounds like it would be fun at meetings. :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I enjoy most of NancyL's posts, but do not agree that "farang" from a stranger is an insult or that speaking Thai always protects one from being ripped off.

I usually have a Thai person that I trust buy anything that does not have a marked price or that I do not know the price of and have little doubt that the prices are often lower than asking myself.

Not the OP in person, we don't know him. But get any kind of expat group together in Thailand and you know what the prevailing wind will be like. It's that same negativity and overall disdain for 'Thailand and the Somchais' that you see on the forum so often. The forum is like a sanitized version of that, only seeing some scribblings without actually having to be in a room with those people. And this would be a group by people who have already agreed amongst themselves that all Thais are there to rip them off on stuff; that sounds like it would be fun at meetings. rolleyes.gif

But it is not negative to pass judgement on someone based a failed relationship in there past? huh.png

It is important to know the price of things for any expat in a foreign country, but it is a disappointment that such shared exchange of pricing with never happen on Thai Visa. Not when ever single reply is a better then thou post.

• Like 2

I gather the op was proposing some sort of "buying club" for major or bulk purchases, with price negotiated by a trusted local?

seems reasonable, ......

Cut Nancy some slack, she is just very proud that she has learned to to speak AND read Thai, so she will work that bit of info. into every post if possible. Today she just seems cranky.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Cut Nancy some slack, she is just very proud that she has learned to to speak AND read Thai, so she will work that bit of info. into every post if possible. Today she just seems cranky.giggle.gif

IJustWannaTeach does that too. Very cute. wink.png

I enjoy most of NancyL's posts, but do not agree that "farang" from a stranger is an insult

Agreed. But didn't want to raise that because before you know it there's another 7 pages on this tired topic. The only time when use of Farang by Farangs irks me is when is when the poster seems to think that it refers to all foreigners, or that all forum members are Western/Caucasian. You know, when someone says something like: 'Where to get health insurance for Farangs?'; as if there's a difference with foreigners of non-Western heritage, or even difference from Thais for that matter. But in those cases too I let it slide, because again you're looking at 7 pages of silliness.

But it is not negative to pass judgement on someone based a failed relationship in there past? huh.png

Heck some of us pass judgement based on being in ANY relationship, past present or future. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am not sure what a consortium could achieve in this matter, but it seems like quite a big effort for a relatively small problem. I grant that Thai tuk-tuk drivers, marketers, and agents of all sorts can be a little, um, annoyingly opportunistic at times, but there is an easy solution to that problem. Just ignore them. The cost of living in Chiang Mai is generally very low, so there isn't any real financial issue, and if one shops at malls, super-markets, or local stores outside the main tourist places, one pays the same price as the locals.

Cheers, CMX

While we're on the subject of getting or not getting ripped off out shopping, does anyone know current prices for truckloads (3 cubic metre) of sand & stone? My wife, not being in the building trade, is just as likely to be ripped off as anyone else "not in the know".

Sawasdee citizens of TV and guests.......

I just got over my fear of being shot with an elephant gun which seems to be pointed at me from more ways than one.

My sincere apologies to those offended by my post and the 'Far_ng' issues.

Peace to all.

I'm not good at paintings or else I would paint a thousand words so that more TVians would see from my point of view as Daoyai & Chiangmaiexpat found to be on the right wavelength.

This post is not meant to prove any point but merely just a topic for exchange of opinion and not exchange of blows....opps, did I said something wrong there?

Honestly, I haven't seen that much advantage in having my Thai friends proxy for me. It sometimes backfires. I am a falang, as I have blue eyes, and my Thai language skills are at an infantile level, but I don't experience a constant double standard in pricing. When it warrants the effort, I may haggle and get a somewhat better price, and I have vendors who volunteer discounts off the marked price once I've established I am a regular customer. It's no different than it was in my previous home.

How is farang any different then, Asian, Black, Jew, Indian, Mexican or whatever?

Its a classification of skin color just like anywhere else in the world. Seems like the ones complaining about it have been living in a predominantly white society, then the tables turn when coming to Asia and consider it offensive.

What would you call someone with an Asian appearance back in the West? Should they take offense to being called Asian, or would you not even think twice about it because it doesn't affect you?

Double pricing isn't a phenomenon solely for non-thais, it happens to Thais as well. A lot of you have to stop pointing the finger so swiftly and accusing Thai's of ~'Being Thai'~...every time some little thing happens that upsets you.

If you open your eyes, you'll realize the problems you have here you would also have in your home country. It's just that the open market here allows more competition and different types of venues for purchase.

Used car dealers are the same worldwide. If i go back home and buy furniture, there will be two different prices in two different parts of town.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

It's not just the local knowledge or language aspect to consider.

You have all ignored the bulk buying aspect. Need a new TV? You will get a much better

deal if you are buying 5 or 10 than one. The discount on a 100k furniture purchase better than on a 10k purchase.

1st response to this thread totally uncalled for.

It's not just the local knowledge or language aspect to consider.

You have all ignored the bulk buying aspect. Need a new TV? You will get a much better

deal if you are buying 5 or 10 than one. The discount on a 100k furniture purchase better than on a 10k purchase.

1st response to this thread totally uncalled for.

take a sit next to me please smile.png

all others are welcome as well.

Edited by ChinesePanda

Not the OP in person, we don't know him. But get any kind of expat group together in Thailand and you know what the prevailing wind will be like. It's that same negativity and overall disdain for 'Thailand and the Somchais' that you see on the forum so often. The forum is like a sanitized version of that, only seeing some scribblings without actually having to be in a room with those people. And this would be a group by people who have already agreed amongst themselves that all Thais are there to rip them off on stuff; that sounds like it would be fun at meetings. rolleyes.gif

It's almost as if you did not even bother to read the original post; just saw it was a man with a Thai wife, made assumptions, and waded in to give him a kicking.

So, he wants to form a buying club so that once a month, when a purchase is needed, he can go to a shop with a big list of stuff from the club, and get a better price due to buying large quantities, and thus not have to pay the inflated price. My Thai is about 50%, but my accent is very good (an no, ladies, this has not been told to me by a load of bar girls before you make that sweeping judgement as well) so therefore I can effectively negotiate myself in Thai and yet still get stuffed on the price.

The actual answer to the OP is though that he will just get charged more, the white person farang non Thai call it what you will inflated price, and will just end up paying that on more items. The simple fact is that regardless of anything else, they Thai seller of goods is either bent or fair. If bent, you will pay more and there is nothing you can do about it. They would rather sell it to a Thai person than a westerner if they are going to get the same price. Just like the guy I used to buy Corn from on the street near my house. My GF gets it for 25b for 2, I pay 30 for 2, 35 for 2, and I stopped buying when he tried his hand at 40 for 2. The guy is just a robbing prick basically.

To answer the OP's question, I don't see any way that this could be done in a practical, expedient, or beneficial way. You will go through a lot of effort and achieve very little, if anything. I myself would prefer convenience and would gladly pay more to get it, without having to consult with anyone or any "consortium." Sorry, but good luck nevertheless.

It's almost as if you did not even bother to read the original post; just saw it was a man with a Thai wife, made assumptions, and waded in to give him a kicking.

So, he wants to form a buying club so that once a month, when a purchase is needed, he can go to a shop with a big list of stuff from the club, and get a better price due to buying large quantities, and thus not have to pay the inflated price. My Thai is about 50%, but my accent is very good (an no, ladies, this has not been told to me by a load of bar girls before you make that sweeping judgement as well) so therefore I can effectively negotiate myself in Thai and yet still get stuffed on the price.

The actual answer to the OP is though that he will just get charged more, the white person farang non Thai call it what you will inflated price, and will just end up paying that on more items. The simple fact is that regardless of anything else, they Thai seller of goods is either bent or fair. If bent, you will pay more and there is nothing you can do about it. They would rather sell it to a Thai person than a westerner if they are going to get the same price. Just like the guy I used to buy Corn from on the street near my house. My GF gets it for 25b for 2, I pay 30 for 2, 35 for 2, and I stopped buying when he tried his hand at 40 for 2. The guy is just a robbing prick basically.

Ahh....guessed I painted the right picture afterall, all the kicking I got must have been due to getting up on the wrong side of the bed this morning......nontheless, appreciate all citizens and guests of TV for taking and showing interests in this topic.

Since nobody else would go shopping with me, then I'll just have to go back to shopping wearing my blue jacket with embroidery indicating Thai Consumer Right Association's Advisor to get some positive results.

Have a great weekend to all........... and maybe bump into some of you at the ToyRide this Sunday. :)

While we're on the subject of getting or not getting ripped off out shopping, does anyone know current prices for truckloads (3 cubic metre) of sand & stone? My wife, not being in the building trade, is just as likely to be ripped off as anyone else "not in the know".

Do you mean sand & stone mixed together - ie like you use to fill in potholes and level dirt paths?

Do you mean sand & stone mixed together - ie like you use to fill in potholes and level dirt paths?

No, I meant separate - truck load of sand, several truck loads of stone. Been a few years since we were up to date on prices.

Isn't it a bit racist to say it's for 'white people' ? Not all Foreigners are white and Farang is not offensive.

• Like 1

No, I meant separate - truck load of sand, several truck loads of stone. Been a few years since we were up to date on prices.

Stone (3/4) 5 cu (1 truck load) = 2300 Bt

Sand 5 cu (1 truck) = 1700 Bt