Sophon Internet

gerry53

Myself and several others I know have had Sophon fiber-broadband for over a year. Very little down-time and they are prompt in responding to service calls when needed. Some of their brief outages are due to CAT, which serves as their ISP.

I have their 4Mb service for 690 per month. If they still have the same deal-- if you pay one year up front, they give you the cable-modem for free and installation is 750 Baht. You should also get an Ethernet Router, which they will sell you at a premium price, or you can get a basic non-wireless unit at Tukcom for around 1100 Baht.

Their office is on Pattaya Tai between TukCom and 3rd Rd. on the opposite side from TukCom.

Sophon Phone: 038-423-000

I had their 10Mb service for almost a year and finally canceled it last month. I was not getting anywhere near the speed I was paying for. My average download speed was about 48-52k. I had the service people come out several times and try to find the problem but to no avail. They said the lines were ok and the conncetion was good so they credited the problem with being on CATs end. I was told they throttle the download speeds. ???

I do agree that the service depart is quick to respond..

Here is my Speed Test of Sophon Cable taken today at 09:44:

post-10942-0-63723300-1329360428_thumb.p

After having tried almost every Internet provider here in Thailand, (True in Bangkok, and TOT, 3BB in Pattaya) I have found that Sophon is the most reliable that I have had

Raw speed tells only half of the story since the quality of the line with Sophon is better than the rest and allows me to consistently download from direct download sites with ease, and torrents are excellent, especially at night

After having tried almost every Internet provider here in Thailand, (True in Bangkok, and TOT, 3BB in Pattaya) I have found that Sophon is the most reliable that I have had

Raw speed tells only half of the story since the quality of the line with Sophon is better than the rest and allows me to consistently download from direct download sites with ease, and torrents are excellent, especially at night

I used them for over a year but changed to True who had just cabled the moobaan a couple of months ago. The reason decided to change was the connection just went down or was not fast enough for Skype calls on too many occasions. As a previous poster said the service side was excellent and I could not fault them.

However I was reading another topic where a user had been told that the problem was the number of users that were being squeezed down a particular bandwidth. How true that is I do not know. The quality of the service for all the isps unfortunately seems to depend on your physical location as much as anything else so you have to take pot luck.

Best of luck whoever you choose.

Had a few problems recently with Sophon but they were around on Monday as they had done some upgrade work and needed to reset info from my router. The service is back up and running and I am getting what I am paying for. A friend has just started with True and gets 10M Down and 1M Up for 600 baht/month which is pretty good. I have seen his test results to Europe and they are 6-7M Down and 1M up

I have Sophon as a back-up line.. Their customer service is the best of any, with same day service calls and even same day installation in my case.

I don't use any of Sophon's own Packages which many complain about and am just using the sophon connection as a last mile for the CAT 'Hinet' premium service 2meg/1meg.. It is rock solid but not cheap at 1700 Baht per month but I do get the full 2meg/1meg international bandwidth for that, with very low contention.

If serious business internet is needed then CAT can offer up to 30meg/3meg over the Sophon network but at 15K per month..

Had a few problems recently with Sophon but they were around on Monday as they had done some upgrade work and needed to reset info from my router. The service is back up and running and I am getting what I am paying for. A friend has just started with True and gets 10M Down and 1M Up for 600 baht/month which is pretty good. I have seen his test results to Europe and they are 6-7M Down and 1M up

Do not trust any speedtest results on 3BB or TRUE, they both use caching servers which means you are really testing to Thailand... you can easily tell this by looking at the latency... If a speedtest tells you are hitting Europe in 9ms.. it is physically impossible.. nothing can travel faster than speed of light..

Same sad results on True. When it is working it is OK, but frequently drops out and disconnects. Could be associated with MICT etc. but who knows?

I have just been to hell and back with TRUE..

I signed up for their new 100/10 meg service and not cheap at 5000 Baht a month, but availability was only 87.5%, meaning it was off a hell of a lot...

I eventually managed to cancel the whole lot early after threatening not to pay.. they were not happy.. and they even came to the house to remove their coax cables.

But I must say, that when it was working, nothing beats it, it was amazing.. but I rely so much on the net that downtime costs me a lot of money.. I couldn't keep forking out 5K a month for it.. So I have ended up having to get 2 alternative connections.. CAT via Sophon and 3BB premier... still costing 4K a month but at least I have redundancy and shouldn't be offline again ever.

So I have ended up having to get 2 alternative connections.. CAT via Sophon and 3BB premier... still costing 4K a month but at least I have redundancy and shouldn't be offline again ever.

Using a load-balancing router I assume. What sort?

So I have ended up having to get 2 alternative connections.. CAT via Sophon and 3BB premier... still costing 4K a month but at least I have redundancy and shouldn't be offline again ever.

Using a load-balancing router I assume. What sort?

I'm using a Netgear FVS336G right now but have also used the Linksys RV042 in the past...

Unfortunately all the budget services are only 0.5 Mb up. I have to pay 1,700 to get 1Mb up with only 2Mb down. If you need a faster speed down with 1Mb up the cost is much higher again.

A friend has just started with True and gets 10M Down and 1M Up for 600 baht/month which is pretty good. I have seen his test results to Europe and they are 6-7M Down and 1M up

dam_n that's cheap. I think I pay 899 for the 9M/1M package. Maybe I need to contact them again and see if they can upgrade my speed and lower my price.

Edited by Jayman

• 7 months later...

Going to swop to Sophon tomorrow, totally fed up with 3BB, their service department is rubbish, been waiting a week now, had 1 lot arrive that told me my problem was the router, so I spent B2000 getting a new, but the same problem occurring, its dropping out every few minutes, that was Sunday, I called again to report the problem, now its nearly Wednesday, and no techie has come.

Sophon girl in the office, told me I could be up and running in 6 hours from signing up.

I was paying B1499 for 12MB for the last 2 years with 3bb, so much for looking after regular customers.

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread, but seemed the most relevant

I need a new service but dont know if any are available to me, I am with ToT at the moment, the last 2 weeks have been awful up and down constantly, after 5pm it just totally unusable. Im in Bang Saray but right bang on Sukumvit road but last year when I asked 3bb, sophon, CAT all of them said they couldnt offer a service here :( I might go to a few of their shops today and ask again and hope that something is available because I cant continue like this for much longer.

I need a new service but dont know if any are available to me, I am with ToT at the moment, the last 2 weeks have been awful up and down constantly, after 5pm it just totally unusable. Im in Bang Saray but right bang on Sukumvit road but last year when I asked 3bb, sophon, CAT all of them said they couldnt offer a service here :( I might go to a few of their shops today and ask again and hope that something is available because I cant continue like this for much longer.

Don't forget to check True as well as the others you mentioned.

ToT turned up this morning after I moaned on their facebook page, I got a reply I didnt understand but they came anyway, the wiring was bad and they fixed it. The signal is now much better and the DCs seemed to have nearly all gone but I am downloading at 20kbps from international servers which is shocking as I used to get 600kpbs.

Operation new internet still going ahead.

Be careful you don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. My first year with TOT was bad, dropping all the time. However since then its been extremely reliable but speed varies a little. Right now I would not change to anyone else.

Yeah, the plan is to have 2 connections but not sure if that is possible as I would guess that 1 would have to be cable not 2 x adsl as only have 1 phone line. So my options are cable I guess, we have cable TV in the village but last time they said no internet. I do have a sim card router from my cat CDMA days out in the sticks in surin but I dont have the arieal but I can get 3g on my phone so maybe it wont be needed. 3g speeds suck just as much, cant wait to get back to my fast uk internet :(

From what I get out of all of this is that Sophon has excellent response time with their techs because everyone here who has it has said they get fast service however this also tells me that there is a reason so many have "needed" the techs to come in.

I live in a smal apartment and was using their "Tiffany" in building internet cards at 350 baht per month and it was just terrible. I always saw on my internet services on my Mac that there was 3 other people within range using "True Home" so I called them to see if I was eligible for service. The very next day their Techs were here confirming that I was and started hooking up the cable, router etc and I was online with True within 2 hours. I pay 599 baht per month for 10mb service and it is good UNTIL around 9:00pm our time every night where all my live-stream movie channels etc. seem to slow right down on my iPad.

They bill you 6 months for installation which is fine and didn't even get the first bill for 2 months. I can (in the day) run my iPad, MacBook and iPhone on the server with pretty good speed all at the same time.

I remember TOT and the nightmares I had with them all across Thailand and would NEVER go back to them.

Just had my Sophon installed.

IP address is a bit strange

110.77.xxx.xxx

Anyone know about that? I did see a thread about it recently, but I can't find it

Normal, CAT has a block of ip addresses in that range (110.77.128-255.xxx).

CAT supplies the internet to Sophon

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Ok, thanks for that Monty, pleased to see my VPN works on Sophon as well