Foreign Models In Thailand

invogue

Opinion poll:

Do you think fashion designers, magazines and cosmetic companies use foreign models or Thai models more for advertising?

Do you think an alabaster Caucasian, blonde hair, blue eye model would get work or would the preference be for ‘Asian looking’ Caucasians?

Which do you prefer to see?

Edited by invogue

I would think that some designers, doing events and shows, may bring models with them. Others would use an agency here and chose. It is not hard to see looking at magazines and TV commercials, that many are racially mixed - often caucasion-Thai. I would doubt, therefore, there is a "strong" market at all - in fact, given the need for work permits and extra costs involved, I would think as a business model it's a not viable here at all.

As to prefer, I don't mind at all - the model should fit the scenario/theme/message/whatever, other than that no preference - in fact mixing it up is interesting, many Thai magazines all the models look the same - haircut, make up, complextion - same, same.

nearly all the big stores use farangs to be their poster girls/boys and wear their jeans etc

there is some farangs in thaiand for modelling purposes (think tall blondes for europe and usa )

Yes I've seen this - I just assume (as most are either international chains - or the adverts are for international brands) that they are stock promo pictures (for the chain/brand/etc) and lettering is added for the locale.

Even many of the actors in the Thai TV soap operas seem to be half farangs.

And the Ads, a lot of Thais prefer the farang look and appearance. It seems the fairer skinned, half farang and the most farangy looking Thais are the most successful actors, singers and models in Thailand.

Also, in many of the TV advertisements, especially for makeup and cosmetics the people that appear in them are definitely not Thai. Some appear South American, Chinese or from some other South East Asian countries.

I guess that the same Ads are used all over Asia and are just adapted to suit each country.

Rarely do you see the pure native looking dark skinned Thais as the main focus or given star billing in the media.

post-110219-0-82569600-1329339625_thumb.

post-110219-0-72383800-1329339639_thumb.

post-110219-0-94965800-1329339676_thumb.

post-110219-0-36983800-1329339684_thumb.

It's too bad really, when you consider that everywhere in the western world the women pay HUGE money to have skin like the average Thai women. But, the mixed race Thai-farang women seem to get the preference when it comes to acting and modeling jobs. Thais CONTINUALLY put on that terrible whitening cream that destroys any photo taken with a flash. The result is that they look like zombies even though they might be beautiful under all that cream.

It's too bad really, when you consider that everywhere in the western world the women pay HUGE money to have skin like the average Thai women. But, the mixed race Thai-farang women seem to get the preference when it comes to acting and modeling jobs. Thais CONTINUALLY put on that terrible whitening cream that destroys any photo taken with a flash. The result is that they look like zombies even though they might be beautiful under all that cream.

Its the usual thing Ian, grass is green - whities wanna be brown to show wealth and darker skinned people wanna be whiter for the same reason. Probably only black people escape from this as it obviously isn't due to working in dirt farms that makes them dark - although MJ and his sister made a point of getting some invese tanning the chemical way.

Its the usual thing Ian, grass is green - whities wanna be brown to show wealth and darker skinned people wanna be whiter for the same reason. Probably only black people escape from this as it obviously isn't due to working in dirt farms that makes them dark - although MJ and his sister made a point of getting some invese tanning the chemical way.

Same for many black africans. They use skin creams/lotions because they want to lighten the colour of theur skin. The market is absolutely huge and all sorts of potentially nasty stuff is being used in some products to achieve this especially in Central and West Africa.

Its not about skin colour with Thai people, its about cast and class, the brown people work in the fields and the whiter people have money. i prefer The Brown people they are gorgeous to me but thats just my choice.

Also no amounts of creams will whiten the skin for any length of time, its a marketing con, only chemicals will whiten the skin but there are many side affects.

Edited by Thongkorn

I don't think so. The intent is to avoid pockmarks, blotchiness and blackheads along with excess oil sheen.

It seems to me that the print ads use western or more 'western-looking' models, like others have said, but the live modeling events around Bkk typically use Thai models.

And the beauty of it is that none of these models will give the typical farang in Thailand the time of day. I was once given the shopping bags of such a model as she assumed I was the hotel concierge. I thought it was our limo and was standing on the curb outside the Sheraton Orchid in BKK when out she popped. Not a happy ending either as she didn't apologize but instead yelled at me for standing there causing "confusion". The Thai lady with me thought it was very amusing, calling me bagboy ever since.

It seems to me that the print ads use western or more 'western-looking' models, like others have said, but the live modeling events around Bkk typically use Thai models.

And the beauty of it is that none of these models will give the typical farang in Thailand the time of day. I was once given the shopping bags of such a model as she assumed I was the hotel concierge. I thought it was our limo and was standing on the curb outside the Sheraton Orchid in BKK when out she popped. Not a happy ending either as she didn't apologize but instead yelled at me for standing there causing "confusion". The Thai lady with me thought it was very amusing, calling me bagboy ever since.

Think I might have said "For me? Thanks" and walked off with the bags. Don't think I would have allowed her to mouth off at me after either, my usual response is to calmly turn it back on them (I have been quite famous for it in the past - they look confused and often even those with them snigger) - something simple like, "Sorry I thought you were my escourt for the night, I called your agency earlier and they told me to meet you here". Only works here if they speak good enough English I guess.

In the UK I once stopped at a petrol station on my way home from a black tie do - I had on a long black overcoat (expensive kind) and underneath I had on a standard penguine suit (minus the top hat!) - I was very confused for a while in the shop when the young Indian guy was talking to me about a local dance club and asking about trouble tonight, before I worked out he had mistaken me for a bouncer! I didn't burst his bubble (I have the right sort of build especially with a full suit and overcoat on), but it entertained the mrs in the car.

Edited by wolf5370

There’s no excuse for bad manners but in their defence, I have found that some of the Russian/Ukrainian/Polish girls get a bit moody in the overwhelming Bangkok heat when they are working 12 hour days, often in poor working conditions and being paid next to nothing.

I used to stay in one apartment block in BKK for few years that was full of these models. Pretty boys and girls. Looked to me that they did not have what it takes back home. Fairly short for western standards etc. For a while there was huge influx of south american then eastern europe and so on.

Not sure what they got paid but i'd assume not much considering how much they partied in their rooms with Sangsom coke.

I used to stay in one apartment block in BKK for few years that was full of these models. Pretty boys and girls. Looked to me that they did not have what it takes back home. Fairly short for western standards etc. For a while there was huge influx of south american then eastern europe and so on.

Not sure what they got paid but i'd assume not much considering how much they partied in their rooms with Sangsom coke.

Gosh, can't help agreeing with you there. Some of them are stunning but when you come across girls that are 172cm tall, average weight and not particularly beautiful in any way it does leave one wondering.

I don't think so. The intent is to avoid pockmarks, blotchiness and blackheads along with excess oil sheen.

Is that why they put whitening stuff in underarm deodorant. Clearly Thai women want white skin. There is no doubt about this fact.

• Like 1

I know an American guy who does the odd modeling job. He is employed by a Bangkok agent and gets about 40k for a days shoot. The shoots aren't that often though. I've seen tall young European women in the city who appear to be models and I guess that they pick up work here and there through an agent.

Child luk-krung models can make good money. I reckon a good looking half-blood kid would get more work than either a pure Thai or a pure European. This is based on friend's kids that have made money and my own eldest son who grabbed 10k for a days work when he was five years old.

We had a modelling job for our six-year old today - we don't have an agency and only do this through friends' recommendations - and the look required is more often than not a 'pan-Asian' look, i.e. neither Chinese, Malay, Thai, Indian etc... - rather a facial and skin type that can be seen in most countries in SEAsia but is indiscernible as a foreigner. . . it is a simple matter of basic economics; multi-national brands are, by definition, multi-national and making one commercial fits the economy of scale much better.

Caucasians are seldom used because multi-national brands usually use their own people in their country of origin.

We have two daughters and the first one did the same (saved up enough for a bachelor's degree back home) but we stopped her doing ads when she was ten, her last one was a Qantas tv campaign. The little one is six and already has made enough for uni . . . My wife is a corp. lawyer - so, it's not for the money - the girls enjoyed it, the little one still does, especially the travel and hotels and the buzz she gets when her little friends tell her they've seem her on the Disney Channel, or on tv. clap2.gif

So, yes - Pan-Asian look far more in vogue than whitey, this came about in tandem with a greater Asian self-awareness and maturity

Edited by Sing_Sling

I know an American guy who does the odd modeling job. He is employed by a Bangkok agent and gets about 40k for a days shoot. The shoots aren't that often though. I've seen tall young European women in the city who appear to be models and I guess that they pick up work here and there through an agent.

I know a white guy who has done odd work in commercials in Thailand and China and he only gets a few thousand per day, sometimes as little as 1. Still keeps his teaching job.

Even many of the actors in the Thai TV soap operas seem to be half farangs.

And the Ads, a lot of Thais prefer the farang look and appearance. It seems the fairer skinned, half farang and the most farangy looking Thais are the most successful actors, singers and models in Thailand.

Also, in many of the TV advertisements, especially for makeup and cosmetics the people that appear in them are definitely not Thai. Some appear South American, Chinese or from some other South East Asian countries.

I guess that the same Ads are used all over Asia and are just adapted to suit each country.

Rarely do you see the pure native looking dark skinned Thais as the main focus or given star billing in the media.

And a sizeable number are 'famous' Thai gatoeys.

There’s no excuse for bad manners but in their defence, I have found that some of the Russian/Ukrainian/Polish girls get a bit moody in the overwhelming Bangkok heat when they are working 12 hour days, often in poor working conditions and being paid next to nothing.

Well ain't that so sad, my heart goes out to them.

Think I might have said "For me? Thanks" and walked off with the bags. Don't think I would have allowed her to mouth off at me after either, my usual response is to calmly turn it back on them (I have been quite famous for it in the past - they look confused and often even those with them snigger) - something simple like, "Sorry I thought you were my escourt for the night, I called your agency earlier and they told me to meet you here". Only works here if they speak good enough English I guess.

In the UK I once stopped at a petrol station on my way home from a black tie do - I had on a long black overcoat (expensive kind) and underneath I had on a standard penguine suit (minus the top hat!) - I was very confused for a while in the shop when the young Indian guy was talking to me about a local dance club and asking about trouble tonight, before I worked out he had mistaken me for a bouncer! I didn't burst his bubble (I have the right sort of build especially with a full suit and overcoat on), but it entertained the mrs in the car.

Your first paragraph just reminded me of an incident in an upmarket restaurant in Sydney, decades ago.

Man and women eating dinner, then suddenly there were raised voices. Man then raided his voice further and yelled at the woman "YOUR BORING!".

She stood up, and yelled in response 'WELL THAT'S BETTER THAN BEING A BORING F...!". And she promptly walked out.

With all the other diners now glued on him, the man quickly threw some money on the table and also departed quickly.

I wasn't there, the story was shared by some friends, I can recall the other friends saying that it was actually a line from an old movie.

We had a modelling job for our six-year old today - we don't have an agency and only do this through friends' recommendations - and the look required is more often than not a 'pan-Asian' look, i.e. neither Chinese, Malay, Thai, Indian etc... - rather a facial and skin type that can be seen in most countries in SEAsia but is indiscernible as a foreigner. . . it is a simple matter of basic economics; multi-national brands are, by definition, multi-national and making one commercial fits the economy of scale much better.

Caucasians are seldom used because multi-national brands usually use their own people in their country of origin.

We have two daughters and the first one did the same (saved up enough for a bachelor's degree back home) but we stopped her doing ads when she was ten, her last one was a Qantas tv campaign. The little one is six and already has made enough for uni . . . My wife is a corp. lawyer - so, it's not for the money - the girls enjoyed it, the little one still does, especially the travel and hotels and the buzz she gets when her little friends tell her they've seem her on the Disney Channel, or on tv. clap2.gif

So, yes - Pan-Asian look far more in vogue than whitey, this came about in tandem with a greater Asian self-awareness and maturity

ur 6 year has already made a few hundred thousand usd modeling? u must work that little bastard to death. :)

ur 6 year has already made a few hundred thousand usd modeling? u must work that little bastard to death. smile.png

:) Nah, don't forget that University fees in Oz are not that bad . . . yet. She does a few hours a month, the one before this was in Singapore - three days, SGD1000/day and one hour work per day.

I wish I could get SGD1000/day!

Edited by Sing_Sling

Well ain't that so sad, my heart goes out to them.

They could always go and sit in the air conditioned limousines that you mentioned in another thread.

I am with a modelling and film casting agency here in Bangkok and there is ALOT of work for foreign models. I used to model freelance back home in the UK but here in Bangkok I found it to be more successful having an agent. Clients using the agencies are always looking for different kinds of models, some Asian and some Caucasian - it depends what they are being used for. For mainstream high street stores they mainly want Caucasian but I have worked on a few things where the have mixed races there.

Most of the mainstream shops and stores who have farang models are actually models that have been cast over here in South East Asia not in Europe/America. There is a huge industry in Thailand, especially Bangkok where foreign models network and work together. Some models are flown over here by their agents in their home country and then hired to agencies here in Thailand so they can get more work.

Also most models that are part of an agency get special treatment such as a model comp card - entitling them free entry and free drinks in some bars and free food around Thailand, mainly Bangkok. It's like some kind of celebrity status almost.