webfact

TOUR OF PROVINCES

Yingluck runs show like a CEO

PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK

THE NATION

Nakhon Sawan

30175983-01_big.jpg

PM talks tough on timeline for flood projects

NAKHON SAWAN: -- Just before Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra arrived in Nakhon Sawan province on Tuesday, a local former MP was heard telling the waiting crowds that the premier’s working style was very much like that of her brother, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

This similarity in Yingluck and Thaksin's working style has become more apparent during the five-day flood-prevention and relief efforts.

Yesterday, Yingluck firmly told Nakhon Sawan Governor Jittakaet Nirote that she wanted every detail for building a dyke to be completed in the next three months, not six months as he had said earlier.

"[You] want to wait for six months but I don't think we can wait. If the provincial authorities can't finish it in time, allow the Interior or Defence ministries to help. When we say it should be done this year we had better get used to the words - it must be done no later than May. We need to adjust the timeline," she said.

Earlier in the day, Yingluck was seen employing speedy CEO-style decision-making when she met 200 officials, including ministers and director-generals of many related departments as well as governors of half a dozen provinces.

Yingluck told them that if the deadline for presenting proposals and completing projects were not met, the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM), which she chairs, would take over.

"Let me inform you that SCWRM is the third party that will inspect [the reliability and effectiveness] of the projects. It will check everything and all provinces will have to be responsible for following up on all the specifications given by the committee," she said, adding that all water pumps would be marked through the GPS satellite system so one can keep an eye on things.

The premier also reminded governors that they needed to seek approval from local people who may be affected by these projects before any budgets can reach them.

Yingluck admitted that though natural disasters cannot be completely controlled, authorities could try to minimise their impact.

"We need to let the water pass quickly and limit the damage," she said.

The premier also warned that it was rather pointless digging up catchment areas if the water cannot be channelled into rivers or canals. "SCWRM should come up with guidelines because we need efficiency, otherwise the budget will be wasted," she said.

Half a dozen governors spent a few minutes each to present "flagship" projects aimed at protecting their provinces from floods. The entire job was completed rather quickly - reminiscent of how Thaksin handled things as premier.

Smith Dhammasaroja, an SCWRM member, said earlier that though this manner of handling things was "efficient" it appeared rather "dictatorial".

When I asked Panit Nilkansone, who works as a bellboy at a hotel in Nakhon Sawan, about plans to prevent a recurrence of floods that nearly submerged his parents' two-storey home, he said he did not know any details but had complete trust in the governor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-16

Just before Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra arrived in Nakhon Sawan province on Tuesday, a local former MP was heard telling the waiting crowds that the premier’s working style was very much like that of her brother, former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Did he had in mind,very much like as in, corrupt to the bone?

Edited by janverbeem
  • Like 1

'When I asked Panit Nilkansone, who works as a bellboy at a hotel in Nakhon Sawan, about plans to prevent a recurrence of floods that nearly submerged his parents' two-storey home, he said he did not know any details but had complete trust in the governor'.

Sums up the mentality and unreasoned blind loyality of many Thais.Reflects in the standard of political leadership.

I'm not pro or anti Yingluck (or her siblings) as frankly I don't care, although I do think she is a hottie. However, I think she has made a huge mistake by carrying on with her gallivanting after three bombs go of in the nations capital having shrugged it off in the same way George W did on first hearing about 7/11. She needs the type of aid he had at the time to give her a prod and say "Yinny dear, pack your bags because it will harm your election prospects if you stay here, now there's a love".

• Like 1

Rather than focus wholly on style, let's see what the results are. I'm concerned that having only "plans" ready by May will already be too late. We need to see physical measures implemented on the ground, with accountability for the funds spent. Am I only dreaming? (it's a song)

I'm not pro or anti Yingluck (or her siblings) as frankly I don't care, although I do think she is a hottie. However, I think she has made a huge mistake by carrying on with her gallivanting after three bombs go of in the nations capital having shrugged it off in the same way George W did on first hearing about 7/11. She needs the type of aid he had at the time to give her a prod and say "Yinny dear, pack your bags because it will harm your election prospects if you stay here, now there's a love".

Think you mean September the eleventh. dry.png

'When I asked Panit Nilkansone, who works as a bellboy at a hotel in Nakhon Sawan, about plans to prevent a recurrence of floods that nearly submerged his parents' two-storey home, he said he did not know any details but had complete trust in the governor'.

Sums up the mentality and unreasoned blind loyality of many Thais.Reflects in the standard of political  leadership.

I think he talks about Nakhon Sawan governor and he is a good man. He was there all the time organizing everything by himself months before flood hits. Sadly in final there was no way to prevent water coming to downtown. But yes, I'm sure everybody in Nakhon Sawan trust him completly and he will tell every details later.

I wish George Bush had done something about the 7-11s. They're poisoning Thailand with their junk food.

• Like 2

Sums up the mentality and unreasoned blind loyality of many Thais.Reflects in the standard of political leadership.

I think he talks about Nakhon Sawan governor and he is a good man. He was there all the time organizing everything by himself months before flood hits. Sadly in final there was no way to prevent water coming to downtown. But yes, I'm sure everybody in Nakhon Sawan trust him completly and he will tell every details later.

Nakhon Sawan has been singled out as an outstanding example of how a community should deal with a flood, proactive with plans ready, up-to-date news and coordination, the town soon recovered from last year's floods.

Think you mean September the eleventh. dry.png

Actually I was referring to 9/11... I always get the two confused for some reason, and get strange looks when I tell people I am popping off to 9/11 to get some smokes.

• Like 1

Nobody worry, the lady's in charge.

Wonder who's managing the terrorism in Bangkok? Must be the mighty Chalerm

LOL - Super Chalerm to the rescue. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's a corrupt father of two murderers whose self inflation and levels of hypocrisy really is as startling as if he were to don red y-fronts outside his 100k baht suit.

I wish George Bush had done something about the 7-11s. They're poisoning Thailand with their junk food.

A lot of this poison comes from a huge Thai company CP (Charoen Pokphand).

Well she is letting them know who is boss, by letting them know that the original time frame must be kept and no extensions are acceptable. It's the people she has in mind, with the rainy season approaching. If the original people in charge of the operation and planning can't do it she will get others in who will do the job. Good on her.If her brother worked the same way, good on him as well. I like her style.

Almost anyone can walk around and give orders or should I say they can appear to look like they know what they are talking about. The end results are what matter and so far she has simply proven herself to be no more than a smiling incompetent mouth piece-- who has a tendency to speak first and then try to think later.

thats true..... The Wizard of Oz, Everyone want to be the boss.... It would be nice she could also deliver! instead of simply making the show. IPads or (Eye Pads) Then the minimum Wage... by stopping the Wage of the aged. It would be nice if Thailand became innovative in its thinking not just copy what exists and blame it when it does not work.

If she is indecisive some member mock her, if she is incisive the same members mock hersignthaivisa.gif

Any incisiveness she might possibly demonstrate would not be hers, it would be carefully orchestrated, supplied, supported, and approved by the person that is making a mockery out of Thailands political system, speaking of mocking, which you brought up.

• Like 1

If she is indecisive some member mock her, if she is incisive the same members mock hersignthaivisa.gif

OH NO.... you would mock her if you said she is clever!!!!

"Running the show" like this in a real company would instantly lead to a call for an extraordinary meeting of the shareholders to clear the stage from this kind of CEO.

Style is nothing more than a way. Companies are expecting results. Results here have spoken by themselves for months.

• Like 1

I'm not sure any plans prepared and presented in six months time would be in good shape, but squizing all into three months seems like asking for problems.

"I'm not sure........seems like asking for problems". A succinct summary of why her orders to subordinates will fail? Or perhaps another jibe

I'm not sure any plans prepared and presented in six months time would be in good shape, but squizing all into three months seems like asking for problems.

"I'm not sure........seems like asking for problems". A succinct summary of why her orders to subordinates will fail? Or perhaps another jibe

OP: "Yesterday, Yingluck firmly told Nakhon Sawan Governor Jittakaet Nirote that she wanted every detail for building a dyke to be completed in the next three months, not six months as he had said earlier."

Skipping the 'lost in translation' part, for this specific item the governor said six months, the PM said 'forget it, three months or I'll get the SCWRM involved'. No details provided as to why the governor said 'six months', but assuming he had his good reasons, asking him to do the same in three months puts lots of pressure on <insufficient details>. So we're left to guess.

As I said 'lost in translation', but just 'details on building a dyke' shouldn't take more than a few weeks at the most. If it takes six months it should include aspects as '(reasoning for) choice of location', 'type of dyke', 'max height of water level', 'environmental impact' (including impact on local population), 'financing of build & projected maintenance', etc., etc. That would be something not easely compressed into half the time originally forseen.

A CEO may ask things somewhat out of the ordinary, but should also know not the ask the impossible. Furthermore the objective of companies may be profitability and continuity, but govenment offices need a better view on short, medium AND long-term. IMHO of course

Edited by rubl

Skipping the 'lost in translation' part, for this specific item the governor said six months, the PM said 'forget it, three months or I'll get the SCWRM involved'. No details provided as to why the governor said 'six months', but assuming he had his good reasons, asking him to do the same in three months puts lots of pressure on <insufficient details>. So we're left to guess.

Ah well, ''Some have greatness thrust upon them, others have it thrust up them.''

Which scenario might fit each member of the aforementioned pair underlined above I wonder ?