Malaysia Arrests Iranian Over Thai Blasts: Police

webfact

Im still wondering how the police showed up instantly after the first bomb blast at the house - in time for the suspect to throw a bomb at the incoming police officer.

There's something fishy about this whole story, especially with the Iranian nuclear reactor making headlines these days. Wouldn't surprise me if this whole thing was a plot by the US government to discredit Iran, by utilizing a third neutral nation such as Thailand to implement credibility in the fabrication of a perceived threat.

Besides, who would have witnessed the injured suspect drop the bomb? After the first bomb everyone's taking cover. Sounds more like the bomb was thrown at him instead.

Oh Great! Another FISHy story.

Im still wondering how the police showed up instantly after the first bomb blast at the house - in time for the suspect to throw a bomb at the incoming police officer.

There's something fishy about this whole story, especially with the Iranian nuclear reactor making headlines these days. Wouldn't surprise me if this whole thing was a plot by the US government to discredit Iran, by utilizing a third neutral nation such as Thailand to implement credibility in the fabrication of a perceived threat.

Besides, who would have witnessed the injured suspect drop the bomb? After the first bomb everyone's taking cover. Sounds more like the bomb was thrown at him instead.

Oh Great! Another FISHy story.

A total unwillingness to believe overwhelming evidence in favour of crackpot theories to implicate the U.S or Israel is taken to a fine art on this forum, either that or it's a mental illness.

It's likely that Israeli and/or US authorities put pressure on Thai authorities to notify the Malaysians at KL airport. Somehow, I can't picture any Thai authority having the alacrity and taking the initiative to making that call on his own. If so, great. Yet, from observations of Thai officialdom over a quarter century, I've seen them move at glacial pace, if they move at all.

One of hundreds of examples: when I went to report a motorbike stolen, the cop who took the report, typed with two fingers, and it took him an hour and a half to type some words on the report. Then, an hour after that, he mentioned that stolen motorbikes (from our northern town) were nearly always taken over the Burmese border. The border crossing was one hour distant from us, but it didn't occur to any of the cops to issue a warning, forthwith, to border guards to be on the look-out for the stolen bike.

Another example: When authorities at Hawaii's Earthquake Center wanted to inform Thai authorities of the impending tsunami from the big earthquake of a few years ago, who do they call? They probably tried calling Thai authorities, but either got a disfunctional #, a number which didn't pick up, or a person answering who didn't have a clue what the caller was calling about, and didn't try to understand, and likely hung up right away, thinking 'another farang ba'.

I think that you should get real. This is international terrorism. Are you living such a sheltered life in your village to think that Thailand has no capacity to investigate and respond to terrorism? Contrary to the weltanshau of the some TV members, There are some in the Thai government and police force who are professionals and can take pride in their work, and do care about Thai people and society. I agree that there is a large amount of incompetence and corruption on the local level, and that's a problem. But I would warn anyone attempting serious crime in the Kingdom that there is a very able capacity to bring swift justice.

It's likely that Israeli and/or US authorities put pressure on Thai authorities to notify the Malaysians at KL airport. Somehow, I can't picture any Thai authority having the alacrity and taking the initiative to making that call on his own. If so, great. Yet, from observations of Thai officialdom over a quarter century, I've seen them move at glacial pace, if they move at all.

One of hundreds of examples: when I went to report a motorbike stolen, the cop who took the report, typed with two fingers, and it took him an hour and a half to type some words on the report. Then, an hour after that, he mentioned that stolen motorbikes (from our northern town) were nearly always taken over the Burmese border. The border crossing was one hour distant from us, but it didn't occur to any of the cops to issue a warning, forthwith, to border guards to be on the look-out for the stolen bike.

Another example: When authorities at Hawaii's Earthquake Center wanted to inform Thai authorities of the impending tsunami from the big earthquake of a few years ago, who do they call? They probably tried calling Thai authorities, but either got a disfunctional #, a number which didn't pick up, or a person answering who didn't have a clue what the caller was calling about, and didn't try to understand, and likely hung up right away, thinking 'another farang ba'.

I think that you should get real. This is international terrorism. Are you living such a sheltered life in your village to think that Thailand has no capacity to investigate and respond to terrorism? Contrary to the weltanshau of the some TV members, There are some in the Thai government and police force who are professionals and can take pride in their work, and do care about Thai people and society. I agree that there is a large amount of incompetence and corruption on the local level, and that's a problem. But I would warn anyone attempting serious crime in the Kingdom that there is a very able capacity to bring swift justice.

Monday morning quarterbacks are alive and well on this forum unfortunately NowImEasy

Are you kidding? Why make up pure speculation with "probably" this and "likely" that? Why do so many on this site always want to put a negative bent on anything Thai?

BOMB SUSPECTS

Arrest warrants issued for four Iranians

30176015-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Criminal Court on Thursday issued arrest warrants for four Iranians for their alleged involvement in the Tuesday's Bangkok bomb incidents as sought by police.

Court approval followed police submissions of photos of the suspects captured on closed circuit television, explosive devices seized from their rented house and the testimony of eyewitnesses.

The Thai authorities are holding two Iranian suspects arrested earlier -- Saeid Moradi, 28, who lost his legs from his own explosive device-- and another suspect, Mohammad Hazaei, 42, who was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday while attempting to escape to Malaysia.

A third Iranian identified as Masoud Sedaghatzadeh was arrested on Wednesday by Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur.

A fourth person, an Iranian woman identified as Rohani Leila, is still at large. She is suspected of having arranged to rent the Sukhumvit Soi 71 home where the first explosive device exploded, apparently by accident.

Moradi faces five charges including joint assembling of explosive devices, joint possession of explosive devices without permits, causing an explosion injuring other persons, attempted killing of state officials on duty and the intentional attempted killing of other persons.

The first three charges on outstanding warrants were also pressed against all three Iranians.

Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat, deputy national police chief overseeing the case, on Thursday called a full-team meeting for the first time consisting of the investigators from the Metropolitan Police, the Crime Suppression Department, the Immigration Bureau, and the Special Branch Police, as well as experts from the Scientific Crime Detection Division and the military's Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit.

The senior police officer pledged that an in-depth investigation will shed light on how the incident took place, the frequency of the suspects' visit to Thailand, the origin of the explosives and who imported the explosive devices as well as how and where they assembled the explosives.

Gen Pansiri said that Klong Tan Police Station was assigned as the investigation centre and that meetings will be held daily to follow up the operations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-16

They may all be called police, but there is a world of difference between the higher echelons and a police station cop. Next time don't bother reporting it, place a good reward and get the word out - got my bike back within a month.

i'm no conspiracy theorist, not a USA or Israel hater and I do hate Amadinejad, but on hearing the news I had a couple questions that popped directly out of my conscience.

1- Knowing that Iran is menaced of attack by Israel over their nuclear reactor, what would Iran have to gain to sponsor terrorism in 3 countries that are apparently unrelated to the middle eastern conflict, especially since thailand is friend with china who is a tacite ally of Iran, india is not known for being averse to Iran and georgia is also a tacit Iran ally ?

(I won't push so far as saying friend of Russia, an all time ally of Iran, as they now hate each other's guts - Georgia/Russia I mean)

2- what competent secret services would send agents to bomb a third party country with its own country's passeports and huge stack of Iranian currency ?

3 bombs in a couple days in totally unrelated countries, just as the USA and Israel are desperately looking for an excuse to get a go ahead from the UN and public opinion to blast Iran into oblivion, seems to me that if Iran wanted to get blasted they wouldn't do it differently, but we all know that even thought Amadinejad is a total nutcase, he wouldn't want Iran to get retaliated over some useless bombings, once again, in totally unrelated countries.

The main question is if these bombings do not profit in anyway to Iran, Who will the fallout profit to? and i'm not looking only towards Israel or USA ... its may profit to other people (iranian opposition, global terror groups etc..) just asking the question may help to see the problem from a new perspective

If someone please could answer these simple questions in a reasonable manner i would really appreciate.

(edited to add some text)

Edited by SabaiBKK

@SabaiBKK

Those conjectures you make have no sense in the world of Islamic terrorism. The prepetrators' fanaticism has its own patterns of thought. The actions of those offering themselves for the cause of striking at the infidel cannot be predicted using Cartesian logic. The terrorists are spurred by pure faith and a determination to strike at their objectives in a way that the harm they inflict is maximized. After all, in their eyes, the lives of the infidels are wasted, for they will go to the hell that Allah has prepared for "those who have incurred His wrath".

If they would think in ways that would make sense to you, or accept logic arguments like you and I, they would not be what they are and would be likely sitting in the pub next door ordering a beer and a ham sandwich. But don't expect logic from them.

Edited by xavierr
  • Like 1

i'm no conspiracy theorist, not a USA or Israel hater and I do hate Amadinejad, but on hearing the news I had a couple questions that popped directly out of my conscience.

1- Knowing that Iran is menaced of attack by Israel over their nuclear reactor, what would Iran have to gain to sponsor terrorism in 3 countries that are apparently unrelated to the middle eastern conflict, especially since thailand is friend with china who is a tacite ally of Iran, india is not known for being averse to Iran and georgia is also a tacit Iran ally ?

(I won't push so far as saying friend of Russia, an all time ally of Iran, as they now hate each other's guts - Georgia/Russia I mean)

2- what competent secret services would send agents to bomb a third party country with its own country's passeports and huge stack of Iranian currency ?

3 bombs in a couple days in totally unrelated countries, just as the USA and Israel are desperately looking for an excuse to get a go ahead from the UN and public opinion to blast Iran into oblivion, seems to me that if Iran wanted to get blasted they wouldn't do it differently, but we all know that even thought Amadinejad is a total nutcase, he wouldn't want Iran to get retaliated over some useless bombings, once again, in totally unrelated countries.

The main question is if these bombings do not profit in anyway to Iran, Who will the fallout profit to? and i'm not looking only towards Israel or USA ... its may profit to other people (iranian opposition, global terror groups etc..) just asking the question may help to see the problem from a new perspective

If someone please could answer these simple questions in a reasonable manner i would really appreciate.

All three attacks were assassination attempts on Israeli embassy staff, and not the civilians of each of the three countries, as you seem to imply. This was in retaliation for the assassination of Iranian nuclear scientists. This type of "Tit for Tat" has been going on for decades; it's nothing new. Who stands to gain? Presumably Iran, by sending this message to Israel, is demonstrating that no one can murder their nuclear scientists with impunity.

• Like 1

@SabaiBKK

Those conjectures you make have no sense in the world of Islamic terrorism. The prepetrators' fanaticism has its own patterns of thought. The actions of those offering themselves for the cause of striking at the infidel cannot be predicted using Cartesian logic. The terrorists are spurred by pure faith and a determination to strike at their objectives in a way that the harm they inflict is maximized. After all, in their eyes, the lives of the infidels are wasted, for they will go to the hell that Allah has prepared for "those who have incurred His wrath".

If they would think in ways that would make sense to you, or accept logic arguments like you and I, they would not be what they are and would be likely sitting in the pub next door ordering a beer and a ham sandwich. But don't expect logic from them.

why do you assume it is religiously motivated as opposed to politically motivated ? do you know something we don't?

• Like 1

All three attacks were assassination attempts on Israeli embassy staff, and not the civilians of each of the three countries, as you seem to imply. This was in retaliation for the assassination of Iranian nuclear scientists. This type of "Tit for Tat" has been going on for decades; it's nothing new. Who stands to gain? Presumably Iran, by sending this message to Israel, is demonstrating that no one can murder their nuclear scientists with impunity.

the two previous attacks were indeed targetted at israeli diplomats, but sofar no one knows who is behind it and its very convenient to blame Iran, but Iran is not the only arch enemy of Israel ... then Bangkok we still don't know who was the target so saying that they were targetting Israeli interests if for the moment just pure speculation but is very convenient ... not defending Iran or anything just raising some points in the hope that we can see further than what the press feed us.

Absolutely. But this will not convince the posters on TV which appear to be divided between believing ridiculous conspiracy theories and the majority who seem convinced that Thailand has suddenly become a place were everyone is at risk of being blown up and that the Thai government should admit this. Fact is the Government labelling these Iranians as "assassins" is exactly correct and Thailand is in no more danger than it was before. The international repercussions between Israel and Iran might be significant but that will not involve Thailand.

PUTRAJAYA: Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein today confirmed that an Iranian man was arrested in Malaysia yesterday over a failed bomb attack in Bangkok on Feb 14. He said the 31-year-old man was held at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) as he was about to leave for Iran after flying in from Thailand the previous night. The National Intelligence Agency of Thailand suspects that he was involved with two others caught in Bangkok in relation to the attempted bomb attack, he said in a statement. Hishammuddin said Malaysia is most serious and committed in stamping out terrorist threats and subversive activities which undermine peace and security. He said the authorities would not allow Malaysia to be used as a location, base or transit by terrorists or individuals wanted in any country.

Let's hear a similar commitment from Thailand, please.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 2

PUTRAJAYA: Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein today confirmed that an Iranian man was arrested in Malaysia yesterday over a failed bomb attack in Bangkok on Feb 14. He said the 31-year-old man was held at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) as he was about to leave for Iran after flying in from Thailand the previous night. The National Intelligence Agency of Thailand suspects that he was involved with two others caught in Bangkok in relation to the attempted bomb attack, he said in a statement. Hishammuddin said Malaysia is most serious and committed in stamping out terrorist threats and subversive activities which undermine peace and security. He said the authorities would not allow Malaysia to be used as a location, base or transit by terrorists or individuals wanted in any country.

Let's see if he makes good on this promise...esp after an angry phone call from Tehran

I was thinking exactly the same thing. With Malaysia being a member of the OIC they could get some serious heat if they go ahead and return that Iranian to Thailand when they should be naming a school after him.

• Like 1

It was definitely an Israeli-inspired American plot.

First, the evil United States planted a bomb in the house of four innocent Iranians who were average, run-of-the-mill C4 collectors (there's dozens in every neighborhood, after all). Then the evil Americans detonated it, heinously destroying an historically valuable roof in the process, circa 1990 art nouveau Thai, showing they have no respect for Thai culture and want all foreigners to see the night sky from their beds, and embrace the stars as a way to contaminate the pure Thai culture. Dastards all.

The Iranians fled, dazed and innocent as newborn lambs on the sweet pastoral highlands, retreating from a pristine land now defiled by contemptuous American intrigue. Since these wonderful Iranian people were having a world peace prayer meeting at the time, as Iranians have been known to do on a daily basis, one was naturally injured because they have a tendency to be victimized by capitalist plots. This is from the Devil-Power that comes from Western money.

One part of the story is unknown... The Iranian who was injured and could not catch a taxi because his pacifist blood was dripping down his beatific face, had been secretly brainwashed by US mind-control techniques into believing he was in Switzerland, and was (in his own mind) in Stockholm protesting the use of the copyrighted process called "Swiss cheese" (again infringed upon by by the vile Americans), and so was understandably forced by proxy into lobbing not one, but two explosives at Thai civilians. In his mind-controlled state, he first hurled a grenade (?) at a taxi driver he had mistaken as Donald Trump driving his own strange limo. The second grenade (?) was lobbed at an incoming police car, which he again mistakenly identified in his mind-controlled state as the Keystone Kops. May God save him and reserve him extra virgins and olive oil.

People believe what they want to believe.

The sad part is this: the US, my country, has interfered with so many people and countries that a knee-jerk reaction that suspects the American intelligence community is involved is entirely justified. But reading facts after an opinion is formed is just not good sport, as some say, and the topic is changed for beer-drenched convenience. Worse, had the Iranians grown as a culture that embraced cricket, the worst backyard bowler would never have thrown a googly that landed at his own feet. Such a throw would have been...pedestrian. Said mind-controlled bomber is no longer pedestrian, and if thrown off a Pattaya pier today would be nicknamed Bob... for posterity.

I have a level-headed Brit friend, who first said the terror alert was a sham of western interference, then it was still suspicious....and now. Well, he simply doesn't talk about it anymore.

All facts being told so far show an over-zealous Iranian splinter group took it in their minds to glorify their motherland. Some might say it was the result of a constant rhetoric of hate, others might say the state sponsored it. I have to go with the former. Iranian operatives are sharp, they have to be. The Mideast is no playground. These were idealistic people, amateur in the largest sense, who bought rhetoric as gospel and took matters into their own hands. Of course, Iran will not arrest such loose cannons.

Let the gristmill grind.

• Like 2

It was definitely an Israeli-inspired American plot.

First, the evil United States planted a bomb in the house of four innocent Iranians who were average, run-of-the-mill C4 collectors (there's dozens in every neighborhood, after all). Then the evil Americans detonated it, heinously destroying an historically valuable roof in the process, circa 1990 art nouveau Thai, showing they have no respect for Thai culture and want all foreigners to see the night sky from their beds, and embrace the stars as a way to contaminate the pure Thai culture. Dastards all.

The Iranians fled, dazed and innocent as newborn lambs on the sweet pastoral highlands, retreating from a pristine land now defiled by contemptuous American intrigue. Since these wonderful Iranian people were having a world peace prayer meeting at the time, as Iranians have been known to do on a daily basis, one was naturally injured because they have a tendency to be victimized by capitalist plots. This is from the Devil-Power that comes from Western money.

One part of the story is unknown... The Iranian who was injured and could not catch a taxi because his pacifist blood was dripping down his beatific face, had been secretly brainwashed by US mind-control techniques into believing he was in Switzerland, and was (in his own mind) in Stockholm protesting the use of the copyrighted process called "Swiss cheese" (again infringed upon by by the vile Americans), and so was understandably forced by proxy into lobbing not one, but two explosives at Thai civilians. In his mind-controlled state, he first hurled a grenade (?) at a taxi driver he had mistaken as Donald Trump driving his own strange limo. The second grenade (?) was lobbed at an incoming police car, which he again mistakenly identified in his mind-controlled state as the Keystone Kops. May God save him and reserve him extra virgins and olive oil.

People believe what they want to believe.

The sad part is this: the US, my country, has interfered with so many people and countries that a knee-jerk reaction that suspects the American intelligence community is involved is entirely justified. But reading facts after an opinion is formed is just not good sport, as some say, and the topic is changed for beer-drenched convenience. Worse, had the Iranians grown as a culture that embraced cricket, the worst backyard bowler would never have thrown a googly that landed at his own feet. Such a throw would have been...pedestrian. Said mind-controlled bomber is no longer pedestrian, and if thrown off a Pattaya pier today would be nicknamed Bob... for posterity.

I have a level-headed Brit friend, who first said the terror alert was a sham of western interference, then it was still suspicious....and now. Well, he simply doesn't talk about it anymore.

All facts being told so far show an over-zealous Iranian splinter group took it in their minds to glorify their motherland. Some might say it was the result of a constant rhetoric of hate, others might say the state sponsored it. I have to go with the former. Iranian operatives are sharp, they have to be. The Mideast is no playground. These were idealistic people, amateur in the largest sense, who bought rhetoric as gospel and took matters into their own hands. Of course, Iran will not arrest such loose cannons.

Let the gristmill grind.

Iran has been the largest sponsor of international terrorism for the better part of 3 decades and you actually believe that 3 bombing attacks in 3 different countries on the same target using exactly the same explosive device is the act of a splinter group consisting of loose cannons operating on their own? I'm glad you don't work for an intelligence agency.

• Like 1

AS I already said, and I told you so....here is the newsbit:

"He claimed the four belonged to the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organisation (also known as MEK, MKO and the People's Mujahedeen Organisation of Iran, or PMOI) which aims to overthrow the current Iranian government....Formed in the 1960s, the organisation participated in Iran’s 1979 Islamic revolution that replaced the country's pro-Western ruler, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, with a Shi'ite Islamist regime led by the Ayatollah Khomeini. The MEK, whose ideology mixes Marxism and Islam, was expelled from Iran two years later after trying to stage an armed uprising against Khomeini. "